Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jun 13, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,321 of 13,139
Quote:

You're a violin concerto fan too.  What do you think of Tchaikovsky's and/or Sibelius's?  I tend to enjoy late romantic stuff, but Bach is hard not to love.

I'm a big fan of Tchaikovsky's concerto. It was one of the first pieces that I really appreciated. I like the Sibelius but I prefer his symphonies. I have about 5 different versions (the old Karajan still my fave) and even had his short 7th symph play at my wedding as incidental music while peeps were waiting. 

I also love Beethovens Violin concerto. If you haven't heard Barber's Violin concerto op.14 I can highly recommend it as a great late romantic piece.  

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #1,322 of 13,139
Quote:
I'm a big fan of Tchaikovsky's concerto. It was one of the first pieces that I really appreciated. I like the Sibelius but I prefer his symphonies. I have about 5 different versions (the old Karajan still my fave) and even had his short 7th symph play at my wedding as incidental music while peeps were waiting. 

I also love Beethovens Violin concerto. If you haven't heard Barber's Violin concerto op.14 I can highly recommend it as a great late romantic piece.  

Oh, Beethoven's violin concerto is wonderful.  One of my favs.  I will listen to Barber's tonight.  I always get excited for (recommended) new music.  Thanks.

Quote:
OPR8R, you have the system to make the HD800's sing....Looks kind of familiar to me...
biggrin.gif

Hey, that's a nice rig you have there, sir. 
gs1000.gif
  Ha ha... I took your advice (along w/reviews and whatnot) on the DAC-2, as you know.  We are Decware bros besides that.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #1,324 of 13,139
I'm not Lug but generally I don't think Bach's harpsichord music is at its best on the piano (and I'm a pianist as well). Some of the harpsichord sound is essential to the fugal character of some of his works, for example.

That said, the music is great enough that it has much to say almost regardless of instrument.

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #1,325 of 13,139
Does anyone know what the actual difference between the LCD 2 and 3 is besides the color and wood? I assume the driver parts. Does anyone know the driver part numbers? Does Audeze make their own drivers or outsource? I'm very curious about what makes the 3 sound better other than the affect the price has on perception.

Sorry for the rapid fire questions, thanks!

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #1,326 of 13,139
Quote:
Does anyone know what the actual difference between the LCD 2 and 3 is besides the color and wood? I assume the driver parts. Does anyone know the driver part numbers? Does Audeze make their own drivers or outsource? I'm very curious about what makes the 3 sound better other than the affect the price has on perception.

The best thing for you to do is have both in house on your own rig / setup for a few weeks.  Take your time and compare them as you see fit.  Then you can make your own decision and sell the one you like the least.  That's what I did.

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #1,327 of 13,139
Quote:

Don't want to turn this into a music thread, Lug, but just wondered what you thought of the Back Harpsichord concertos, and whether you prefer them on original instrument or piano. I'm a piano man myself.

I've tried to like some of the Harpsichord recordings but must admit the piano makes them much more dynamic and whole. Plus they were written for 'keyboards' so purists can relax in the knowing that if the piano had been invented in Bach's day I'm sure he would have used it :) 

Still love Gould's recordings on columbia, especially the couple he recorded with Bernstein conducting. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #1,328 of 13,139
Quote:

Here are my thoughts between the LCD-2 vs. LCD-3s. Yes, the LCD-3s have new drivers...much thinner and even quicker.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/comparisons-of-the-lcd-3-and-the-lcd-2-rev-2

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,332 of 13,139
Jun 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #1,333 of 13,139
Jun 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #1,335 of 13,139
Thirded. It is less of a bargain than it was before the re-design, but the Taboo III is, I understand, a real advance on the II. And it would take one heck of an amp to make me part with my Taboo II...

It is expensive, but competitive for anyone with that kind of money to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back