Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,366 of 13,139
You're tempting me.  But I guess unless the newest LCD-2 R2 got more musical than the previous R2, I think I would still prefer the LCD-2 R1, while technically inferior, still more musical to me.  Which is why I gave up on the HD800.  I take Grado RS1 with flats (with the midbass bloat and collapsed soundstage and midrange spike) any day over the HD800 or LCD-3. I'm just that way.  
biggrin.gif

Quote:
There was a huge improvement in the LCD-2 R2 sonic quality around summer of 2012, six months after the whole LCD-3 veil issue, maybe like three months after that got sorted out. These new R2s sound crazy better than the older R2s from 2011. I honestly thought they had put in LCD-3 drivers into my rosewood cups on accident.

Just sayin...
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #1,367 of 13,139
Quote:
You're tempting me.  But I guess unless the newest LCD-2 R2 got more musical than the previous R2, I think I would still prefer the LCD-2 R1, while technically inferior, still more musical to me.  Which is why I gave up on the HD800.  I take Grado RS1 with flats (with the midbass bloat and collapsed soundstage and midrange spike) any day over the HD800 or LCD-3. I'm just that way.  
biggrin.gif

Yeah I'm curious about how the new R2s sound now. Haven't heard one since end of 2012. My guess is that they still sound the same with no big changes, but yeah going from a 2011 R2 to a mid-summer 2012 R2 was like a huge shock. It almost sounded like there was something wrong with my original R2, which I enjoyed immensely (Both purchased directly from Audez'e). It felt like the diaphram tension was tighter, and that improved the clarity/speed of the drivers. (Not sure about this of course)

If I were you, I would keep the R1. The fact that it's no longer available makes it a classic in my opinion. It was a game changer and a flavor of the month for over a year, so it's a very important piece in the history of headphone development. Not sure why people have to sell their old Audez'e to have a new one. I would just keep them all. R1/R2 and buy a LCD-3. Oh right people are not made money. I forgot.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #1,369 of 13,139
Quote:
Play any complex orchestral or big band piece and then see which headphone gives the most details.  

Headphones with treble peaks may seem to highlight more treble details, true. But there are details through out the FR. The HD800's are able to reproduce layers in orchestral music for example that the LCD2's struggle with. Instruments can be clearly defined. Where as with the LCD2's they blend together. It is the space and control that the LCD2's simply don't have with large ensemble music and this can sound like smearing in complex passages. I'm not beating on the LCD2's I love them! But its true. And it's misleading to imply otherwise imo. 

+1 

I remeber donig a 320 mp3 vs lossless blind test in the sound science forum with the four seasons playing and chose the my brighter K701s as I felt they would be the most likely to reveal details.  I could not pick it out - any differences in the strings anywhere. 

I switched to my D7000s and found a difference, but not in the top end as predicted. I heard it in the subtle "warm" harmonics or under/overtones that were filled in with the lossless and was somewhat flatter in the MP3.  I was quite surprised by that result.  These were the days before owning the LCD2s and the D7000s sounded like a current flagship as opposed as to the K701 yesteryear flagship.  Even Fostex has rebadged the D7000 with minimal changes and charges accordingly.

I seem to be of a few that prefer that these subtle warm ambiences and detail in the midrange than in the treble.  Of corse, I would rather eat kangaroo testicles than listen to most classical - though I really like Mozart, because at the age we all played childrens games, Mozart played for Kings!

Quote:
How much money do you have to lay out to make the HD800 sound natural?

You could start by stuffing the HD800 cups with toilet paper in an attempt to level out the treble.  This is cheap!

Quote:
Jesus. So if i wanted an audio system based on the lcd 2 i would have to spend about 3k usd?

No, no you don't.  I thoroughly enjoyed the positive attributes of my LCDs with my 50 dollar headphone DIY amplifier board.  The Schiit stuff uses very good circuit designs and the 99 dollar stuff can pump a watt into the LCD2 with no opamps and no output capacitors.  I myself am eyeing the Valhalla to satisfy my OTL Class A SET fetish.  Don't forget a decent DAC - and the prices of those are falling dramatically for quality you get.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,372 of 13,139
Quote:
How can someone be sure he is getting the latest LCD2 revision? Serial #, etc.?

If you buy them new, they are current. You can always ask the store, but I can't imagine any of them have any old R2 left over. 

If they are Rev 2 and have an angled cable entry, then they are the newest version. Early Rev 2 had straight cable entry which was prone to cracking of the wood around the entry.

Serial numbers are randomly generated.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,373 of 13,139
Thanks I know about the angled cable entry but thought there are different versions of R2 even WITH angled cable entry, so should be good then, since all the stores that I have seen are selling those with angled cable entry.

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,374 of 13,139
Personally I would suggest that if a prospective buyer is evenly remotely capable of purchasing the LCD3 over the LCD2.2 they should seriously consider doing so. Longer term when it is desired to upgrade it will already be done... The argument for the LCD3 is so compelling that unless one is just a total head banger listening only to extreme hard rock/metal that there is no justification for not buying the LCD3 to start with.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #1,375 of 13,139
I still love my LCD-2s. I think they are easily one of the most pleasant headphones to listen to in terms of the sound signature. Just a very lush and musical. It makes listening to most music a pleasure. I just wish they weren't so heavy. I find myself often opting out for my HD-600s, just because they feel 10x lighter and sound just as great (in their own way of course). 

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,376 of 13,139
Quote:
I still love my LCD-2s. I think they are easily one of the most pleasant headphones to listen to in terms of the sound signature. Just a very lush and musical. It makes listening to most music a pleasure. I just wish they weren't so heavy. I find myself often opting out for my HD-600s, just because they feel 10x lighter and sound just as great (in their own way of course). 

My comfort issues with LCD's stem from pressure from the headband during long sessions.  I learned to sit the hand a little further back on my head than I'm used to, and that made it so I could listen comfortably as long as I want.  There's no getting around the weight though.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #1,377 of 13,139
Quote:
My comfort issues with LCD's stem from pressure from the headband during long sessions.  I learned to sit the hand a little further back on my head than I'm used to, and that made it so I could listen comfortably as long as I want.  There's no getting around the weight though.

Do some audiophile weight-lifting to strengthen your neck muscles! 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #1,378 of 13,139
Quote:
Do some audiophile weight-lifting to strengthen your neck muscles! 
evil_smiley.gif

I have ordered an audiophile neck conditioning machine (along with a set of XLR connector warmers).  It's guaranteed to work for Audeze headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back