Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #976 of 13,134
I think I'm going to have to get a Lyr..any alternatives to that?  I've been using my O2 and Headstage Arrow 3G, and I think even on gain III, I'm just at the beginning of what these will sound like with a better amp..

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #977 of 13,134
[double post]

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #978 of 13,134
^ there are many alternatives...but it depends on your budget!

And what you mean by "better amp"?

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #983 of 13,134
Quote:
thanks

also looking for opinions on the stock LCD-2 cable

what kind is it and should I upgrade?

I think the stock cable is good sounding cable. An upgraded cable will be smoother and let you hear more detail in the recordings. But the stock IMO is not a bad cable.

Mar 1, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #984 of 13,134
I was quite surprised by the difference with stock compared to my sd 3 and norn but yes the bang for buck just for the sonics is perhaps not there for most people :)

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #985 of 13,134
I agree with Frank I, the stock cable is quite good.  I've upgraded to Steve Eddy's Q-audio cable, but mostly for ergonomic reasons.  I went back to the stock cable for a while and I was not disappointed, even though I like the SQ a little more with the Q-audio cables.  I have not heard the latest version of the Audeze stock cable, however, so YMMV.

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #986 of 13,134
I use a silver poison and I can hear a difference in detail and control. The stock cable keeps them very warm sounding imo.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #988 of 13,134
Quote:
Unless you want to upgrade for esthetic reason, stock is fine.

Here's my LCD2 cable experience.
Late fall 2012, I purchased a set of used R1's  The seller was kind enough to include a 2M Steve Eddy Q-cable with the stock cable despite the fact he owned LCD3's.  The stock cable was longer but very bulky.  It's the round one.  Since the 2M Q-cable is too short from time to time I'd use the stock.  To my ears I couldn't detect, I'll say, any difference.

Then a couple months ago I purchase a new set of R2's.  They came with the new flat cable. Straight away I did not like the sound.  The R2's were not broken in at the time, but exchanging the flat cable with the round cable or the Q-cable made a huge difference.  I'll describe the new, flat, stock cable as lacking musicality.  I have not given it a second chance.

Just say'n

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #990 of 13,134
Quote:
thanks. 

Just curious does anyone know what type of wire is used in the stock cable?

http://audeze.com/cable-single-ended

Quote:
Wire Construction
140 strands of high purity audio grade copper
20AWG for very low impedance, high current capacity with extended high frequency range
Low inductance and Capacitance
Maximum operating voltage 500V AC or DC
Very flexible, tangle free cable
Non-Microphonic
Connectors:
Professional ¼” gold plated stereo plug for input signal
Professional gold plated latching 4 pin mini XLR connectors
Electrical Specifications
Dielectric strength:  500V AC
Resistance: 170 milliohms for returned path of 2.5m long cable; this includes the contact resistance of our mini XLR connector on LCD-2 housing
Capacitance: 250 pF, including mini XLR connector on LCD-2 housing
Response: -3dB @ 12.7 MHz
Inductance: 1.8 microH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back