Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #781 of 13,134
Quote:

Cool, you have a great combination.  I'd definitely do a return asap to get everything straightened out--Audeze has good customer service.  The lambskin leather pads are really nice, so it's pure preference between the microsuede pads/headband.

Thanks for the info mate.
Quote:
OH Happy Day !

I just got the UPS 2 day tracking number for my Boo's

L3000.gif

:D

These headphones scared me when I first got them. As soon as I put them on I felt a hollow sensation from them because of the way they sit, and the open nature of them (last HPs were closed) and it wasn't until the music started playing that my jaw dropped.

Also, if you take the headphones off, close the ear cups together and make an opening and put your ear to them it sounds like a live music gig inside! (You know that rumbling sound you get waiting outside a show when they're warming up? A bit like that for me).

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #782 of 13,134
i am looking to buy a used Audeze lcd-2 (list $989) that is about 1 year old (10/6/11) in mint condition. it comes with an upgraded cable ALO Audio Ref 8 silver/copper 4.5 foot cable terminated with a 1/4" Furutech Gold Plug (list $549). has less than 200 hours on headphones, says they are a revision, but not sure which one. comes with an individual Frequency response graph (included), wood care kit (never used and included), beautiful wood case (included), and a care kit and full 3 year warranty papers (included).......seller wants $875......

is this a good price ?

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #784 of 13,134
i am looking to buy a used Audeze lcd-2 (list $989) that is about 1 year old (10/6/11) in mint condition. it comes with an upgraded cable ALO Audio Ref 8 silver/copper 4.5 foot cable terminated with a 1/4" Furutech Gold Plug (list $549). has less than 200 hours on headphones, says they are a revision, but not sure which one. comes with an individual Frequency response graph (included), wood care kit (never used and included), beautiful wood case (included), and a care kit and full 3 year warranty papers (included).......seller wants $875......

is this a good price ?

Make sure they are "revision 2" if you are going to pay in the $800 range

I purchased a set of 2011 "revision 1" for $650 a month ago. It had the more useful travel case and a custom 2m cable. Graph, etc, etc. that was a very good price.

I would not pay $875 for revision 1. The wood box is telling me they are revision 1
IMO

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #785 of 13,134
Quote:
The LCD2 is kicked out of summit fi? 
ph34r.gif

Yep. Here's a quote from Currawong the Head-fi admin explaining why:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644938/what-is-high-end/15#post_9039969

To keep the focus on the forum being "Summit-Fi". Quite a bit of non-Summit-Fi stuff was creeping in.  You can shout at me about it -- I moved them and I wont be at all offended if you think it was wrong to do so.  It made sense to me to do so but I totally understand why it might not to someone else. Basically I don't think those headphones are at the "summit" of what is available and don't see them paired so much with serious TOTL systems either (though not at all are they unloved by any means -- I'm referring to pairings with many thousands of dollars of electronics).

A cynical interpretation of this would be that Summit-fi qualified headphones need to encourage summit-fi level setups. Forgiving headphones like LCD2 or HE500 etc don't need to do that, and thus have become popular enough that they have lost their sense of exclusivity, even if they cost a lot to most people.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #787 of 13,134
"....pairing with many thousands of dollars of electronics"
There you have it. The qualifying specification is price.

Edit:
That's as dumb as saying I know what I'm talking about because I have 413 posts.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #788 of 13,134
Well as far as I'm concerned I have a summit fi set up. $1000 for a set of headphones is serious money. Add my rig for that hp is over $1000, thats a lot of money for a headphone set up.

Me thinks that summit fi should now be called the "Rich Club" because it is taking away what some of us have worked towards for years and will now never be part of. Summit-fi is unreachable by most of us now, but anyone who has the wonga and has just joined can buy into the elite even though they may not value what they have to near or the same extent as others who have been in this hobby for years and have saved and worked towards getting to the top. I understand there has to be a "price" for serious equipment, but anything nearing $1000 for hp's is a very serious investment and will be the endgame for most of us.  

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #789 of 13,134
Quote:
Well as far as I'm concerned I have a summit fi set up. $1000 for a set of headphones is serious money. Add my rig for that hp is over $1000, thats a lot of money for a headphone set up.

Me thinks that summit fi should now be called the "Rich Club" because it is taking away what some of us have worked towards for years and will now never be part of. Summit-fi is unreachable by most of us now, but anyone who has the wonga and has just joined can buy into the elite even though they may not value what they have to near or the same extent as others who have been in this hobby for years and have saved and worked towards getting to the top. I understand there has to be a "price" for serious equipment, but anything nearing $1000 for hp's is a very serious investment and will be the endgame for most of us.  

Guide to joining summit-fi the cheap way:

Buy a Koss ESP950 system for $699.

Bam!

(the loophole is that all electrostatic headphones are exempt from the "have to cost you an arm and a leg and a kidney" rule arbitrarily imposed)

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #790 of 13,134
And you can even find those for sale for around $500 at times.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #791 of 13,134
Quote:
That is one of the weakest posts I've seen in quite a while.  Is this truly the state of Head-fi's admins?

Agreed 1000x over. Head-Fi should only be about stats, really. Everything else is just so, so, so far off. 

Also, does this mean I can go tell all the people with $100 headphones that they're no longer even low-fi, but just straight garbage? Status is everything....

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #794 of 13,134
Man I just love these cans! They keep me up every night.

You can find my impressions here or my full story here.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #795 of 13,134
Leather or Leather-Free? Also, if I'm going to buy these(at a retail store), how do I know if there Rev 1 or 2 and what type of connectors they have(they have new ones right?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back