Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #796 of 13,139
Quote:
Leather or Leather-Free? Also, if I'm going to buy these(at a retail store), how do I know if there Rev 1 or 2 and what type of connectors they have(they have new ones right?)

Go with leather free, they're more comfortable and cooler on the ears.

To be 100% certain you need to contact Audeze. There have been 531 S/N which were Rev 1's, for example.

Rev 2's say Audeze LCD-2 instead of Audeze Research. Thicker pads, leather headband.

All angled connectors are Rev 2's.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #797 of 13,139
Quote:
Quote:
Leather or Leather-Free? Also, if I'm going to buy these(at a retail store), how do I know if there Rev 1 or 2 and what type of connectors they have(they have new ones right?)

To be 100% certain you need to contact Audeze. There have been 531 S/N which were Rev 1's, for example.

Rev 2's say Audeze LCD-2 instead of Audeze Research. Thicker pads, leather headband.

Gotcha, also, is Rev. 2 lighter then Rev. 1? And Rosewood or Bamboo? 

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #798 of 13,139
Jan 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #799 of 13,139
Jan 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #800 of 13,139
Quote:

I think the last revision is rev3, but I don't know if they call it that. The difference is that they put metal connectors as for lcd3 instead of wooden ones, introduced a more comfortable headband and the bamboo version  .

The rev2 and 1
lcd2.jpg

And the rev3

audeze_lcd_2_bamboo.jpg

If it has the metal connectors you can be sure it is not the rev2 or rev1. I find the rev3 to be more comfortable and lighter than rev2. I did not find differences in sound between bamboo and rosewood, however, in theory bamboo is more durable than the rosewood, but many find the rosewood more sexy. I for one got the bamboo version :) 

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #801 of 13,139
Quote:
And Rosewood or Bamboo?

Preference differs. I like Bamboo, others like Rosewood.
Quote:
I think the last revision is rev3, but I don't know if they call it that. The difference is that they put metal connectors as for lcd3 instead of wooden ones, introduced a more comfortable headband and the bamboo version  .

The rev2 and 1
And the rev3If it has the metal connectors you can be sure it is not the rev2 or rev1. I find the rev3 to be more comfortable and lighter than rev2.

Technically it's not, no revisions done to the drivers. It's all just housing changes. 

The Rev 2 angled connectors are also lighter than Rev 2 non angled connectors. But that was a given with Bamboo.
Not sure about the Rosewood angled connectors.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #802 of 13,139
Quote:
And Rosewood or Bamboo?

My boo's are on the truck.

FYI...
I went through this whole wikipedia wood hardness thing, cuz I figured that wood hardness "wood" be important.
The bamboo on the LCD2's is laminated.  That makes it much stronger than a single piece of wood.
I believe the rosewood is a lot more popular though.

Their appearance grew on me quite a bit, so I went boo.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #803 of 13,139
Quote:
My boo's are on the truck.

FYI...
I went through this whole wikipedia wood hardness thing, cuz I figured that wood hardness "wood" be important.
The bamboo on the LCD2's is laminated.  That makes it much stronger than a single piece of wood.
I believe the rosewood is a lot more popular though.

Their appearance grew on me quite a bit, so I went boo.

Composite bamboo is very unlikely to crack.
Don't worry, Chinese bamboo is very strong.
biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40QxMEU3KoU&feature=player_detailpage

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #804 of 13,139
Has anyone thought of experimenting with putting LCD-3 pads on LCD-2, I wouldn't be surprised that bigger soundstage on the former is the result of thicker pads.
I doesn't seem though that Audeze sells replacement pads for LCD-3 yet. Wish they made them more easily replaceable though.

LCD-2 pad with LCD-3

Also question for LCD-2.2 owners, do you have foam or thin mesh driver covering on the pad?

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #805 of 13,139
Quote:
Has anyone thought of experimenting with putting LCD-3 pads on LCD-2, I wouldn't be surprised that bigger soundstage on the former is the result of thicker pads.
I doesn't seem though that Audeze sells replacement pads for LCD-3 yet.

LCD-2 pad with LCD-3

Sphinx has experimented with this. See

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #807 of 13,139
Quote:
Did you d this dox?

I have tried both ways, but perhaps not in the same nature Sphinx did. He (I believe was the first). I tried it out of curiosity.
My experience was pretty limited (less than a day until I switched back). 

I found the LCD-2's to benefit very minimal from the 3's pads. (Maybe I didn't give it enough time) w.e.
Hence why I kept my thoughts to myself.

Bass no change.
Treble same
Soundstage maybe more open
Comfort greatly improved, but not worth it (if you have to order 'em).

FWIW not much time or energy put into the experiment.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #808 of 13,139
Quote:
I have tried both ways, but perhaps not in the same nature Sphinx did. He (I believe was the first). I tried it out of curiosity.
My experience was pretty limited (less than a day until I switched back). 

I found the LCD-2's to benefit very minimal from the 3's pads. (Maybe I didn't give it enough time) w.e.
Hence why I kept my thoughts to myself.

Bass no change.
Treble same
Soundstage maybe more open
Comfort greatly improved, but not worth it (if you have to order 'em).

FWIW not much time or energy put into the experiment.

Thanks.
That was the answer I was hoping for.  However, I'm big on comfort.  The cushions on my rev 1's are fine.  If the rev2's are the same, I'm banked.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #809 of 13,139
Quote:
Thanks.
That was the answer I was hoping for.  However, I'm big on comfort.  The cushions on my rev 1's are fine.  If the rev2's are the same, I'm banked.

I think it really depends if you're one of 'em that agonizes over how unbearable the LCD's comfort is,
then the LCD-3 pads become of great importance. Otherwise, the vegan pads are super comfy, stock pads are comfy
and the LCD-3 pads are ultimately comfiest.

If you suffer from the clamp force, the LCD-3 pads are really a must. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #810 of 13,139
Quote:
I think it really depends if you're one of 'em that agonizes over how unbearable the LCD's comfort is,
then the LCD-3 pads become of great importance. Otherwise, the vegan pads are super comfy, stock pads are comfy
and the LCD-3 pads are ultimately comfiest.

If you suffer from the clamp force, the LCD-3 pads are really a must. 

I suffered at first, a lot, but some headband unbending took care of that completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back