Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #436 of 13,134
compared to my modified Grados for some reason the LCD-2s don't seem to have much sub bass.

I was using the toucan single ended on high gain, it was completely silent with the LCD-2 and I could only go 3 notches on the volume knob. Seems the LCD-2s are pretty easy to drive. But perhaps the synergy is off. Mids were really good, highs so-so.

May 21, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #437 of 13,134
At least from a measured perspective, the LCD-2 has a flatter, more extended deep bass than just about any headphone you can find.

May 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #438 of 13,134
compared to my modified Grados for some reason the LCD-2s don't seem to have much sub bass.

I was using the toucan single ended on high gain, it was completely silent with the LCD-2 and I could only go 3 notches on the volume knob. Seems the LCD-2s are pretty easy to drive. But perhaps the synergy is off. Mids were really good, highs so-so.

Wow...either there was a problem with the LCD-2s you heard or I don't know what. My LCD-2s spanked my RS1s played out of my iPhone FWIW.

Grados almost have ZERO sub bass. Their bass response doesn't really kick in until about 70Hz ish. I've owned pretty much every Grado from the SR60 - RS1 (twice) and performed frequency sweeps with them every time I bought a new Grado. Sadly, the sub-bass was one of my biggest disappointments.

Now enter the LCD-2s....flat frequency response down to 20Hz from 1kHz. :eek: Throw in the 30Hz square wave response and these simply measure the best bass to date....and my ears correlate with the data:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2.pdf

May 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #439 of 13,134

Quote:
Quote:

Wow...either there was a problem with the LCD-2s you heard or I don't know what. My LCD-2s spanked my RS1s played out of my iPhone FWIW.

Grados almost have ZERO sub bass. Their bass response doesn't really kick in until about 70Hz ish. I've owned pretty much every Grado from the SR60 - RS1 (twice) and performed frequency sweeps with them every time I bought a new Grado. Sadly, the sub-bass was one of my biggest disappointments.

Now enter the LCD-2s....flat frequency response down to 20Hz from 1kHz.
eek.gif
Throw in the 30Hz square wave response and these simply measure the best bass to date....and my ears correlate with the data:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2.pdf

Basically what i said but a hell of a lot more educated.

I had a chance to try these out with something besides EDM today, alot of metalica and such, very impressed how fast these things can keep up with any particular song.

May 25, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #440 of 13,134
Just got home from work to find the right cup is no longer functioning. Don't know if the cable is faulty or the headphone is. Has anyone else run into an issue with these?

More than a little annoyed to have paid so much and they have seemingly just stopped working after less than a week.

--
Just heard back from Alex, they will be shipping me a new pair with a return label. Hopefully everything goes well as these truly are the best headphones I've ever heard.

May 25, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #442 of 13,134

Quote:
Basically what i said but a hell of a lot more educated.

I had a chance to try these out with something besides EDM today, alot of metalica and such, very impressed how fast these things can keep up with any particular song.

Try listening to some fusion or music that involves a lot of instruments along with some vocals. I was blown away by the detail retrieval and soundstage.

May 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #444 of 13,134
You should be reading this thread on Summit-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/12015

It appears Audeze has encountered a bad batch of drivers. Either that or they're filming Gremlins 3 there.

Now Im worried

Don't be!
As I said on my post there. Things going wrong or breaking don't bother me, it is how it is dealt with that is always my concern! And I want to make it clear here that Audeze have gone above and beyond the call with my problem. Personal emails from Alex making sure everything will be ok to the point in his last email saying. "Ship them back and once I have the tracking number I will send you a new pair"

How is that for trust and service! He is willing to ship me out a replacement set without even having received the broken ones!

I personally think this is a very isolated instance with only a few drivers giving up the ghost. If you read all the posts this is quite rare in comparison to how many have been sold!

How many CEO's of companies contact you directly when there is a problem.. Not many but with Audeze you not only buy bespoke superb headphones, you get bespoke after sales service as well. As far as I am concerned Audeze have a customer for life with me!

May 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #445 of 13,134

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You should be reading this thread on Summit-Fi:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/12015

It appears Audeze has encountered a bad batch of drivers. Either that or they're filming Gremlins 3 there.

Now Im worried

Don't be!
As I said on my post there. Things going wrong or breaking don't bother me, it is how it is dealt with that is always my concern! And I want to make it clear here that Audeze have gone above and beyond the call with my problem. Personal emails from Alex making sure everything will be ok to the point in his last email saying. "Ship them back and once I have the tracking number I will send you a new pair"

How is that for trust and service! He is willing to ship me out a replacement set without even having received the broken ones!

I personally think this is a very isolated instance with only a few drivers giving up the ghost. If you read all the posts this is quite rare in comparison to how many have been sold!

How many CEO's of companies contact you directly when there is a problem.. Not many but with Audeze you not only buy bespoke superb headphones, you get bespoke after sales service as well. As far as I am concerned Audeze have a customer for life with me!

Well said. I think Audeze has awesome customer service and you shouldn't be worried about a defective product.

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #446 of 13,134

Quote:
Quote:

.... Personal emails from Alex making sure everything will be ok to the point in his last email saying. "Ship them back and once I have the tracking number I will send you a new pair"

Alex = Alexander ? from Audeze ?

Man this is exact reason I bought my Audeze, I've got a very kindly personal email from him regarding the shipping information.
Never thought he was the CEO, lol. thought he was just the shipping guy.

Now I am looking forward to LCD3 :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #447 of 13,134

Quote:
I must be a lucky person, or just easy to please, I have never had a headphone bother me, for that reason not many things bother me. I.e. every single snowboarding boots I have owned seems to be the most comfortable boots I have used. Same with helmets/cars/clothes. haha I am low maintenance.

Really ? you are the lucky one then :) LCD2 fits fine on my head but I am little puzzled how other bigger person will be able to use this.
I hope LCD3 will be made with longer extended headband and larger inner ear cups to increase the sound stage.

As for the snowboard, oh man, that is another story, I feel like an alien when it comes to shoes :)

Anyways, happy listening...

Jun 3, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #448 of 13,134

Alex = Alexander ? from Audeze ?

Man this is exact reason I bought my Audeze, I've got a very kindly personal email from him regarding the shipping information.
Never thought he was the CEO, lol. thought he was just the shipping guy.

Now I am looking forward to LCD3 :)

Yep, the Alex. i have been so impressed by Audeze with all of this. My new LCD's are on the way as I write. Not only great headphones but great customer service if something goes wrong as well which is all one can ask for!

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #449 of 13,134
Will send my appreciation for the driver durability. Today happened what I have been afraid of. Forget to turn down the volume on my receiver with the LCD-2 attached. Such insane sound pressure. Not sure if my ears would plop before the driver or vice versa but I did a quick decision to save the LCD-2 driver first and foremost and reach for the volume control instead of taking them off. 3-5 life long seconds later and with some headache but somehow the drivers obviously survived that treatment despite my paranoia bumped to max :wink:

Better option would  have been disconnecting the cable from the headphones  but didn´t think of that. Could probably save a second or so.

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #450 of 13,134
Always protect you hearing. It's priceless.
LCD-2 can withstand much much more, the drivers are being tested at extreme wattage.

Of course I'm not judging, I'd probably act the same before I read about the driver's durability tests Audez'e run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back