Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #451 of 13,132
I would love to give this set a try, it has been eating away at my soul for some time now.  But my problem is the reviews on the soundstage.  If the set doesn't have a massive soundstage, I will lose interest fast regardless of how clear it sounds :[

anyone care to comment on their stage experiences with the lcd2?

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #453 of 13,132

Quote:
I would love to give this set a try, it has been eating away at my soul for some time now.  But my problem is the reviews on the soundstage.  If the set doesn't have a massive soundstage, I will lose interest fast regardless of how clear it sounds :[

The sound stage is not artificially massive like the HD800, rather it is of a good size and scales based on how large the soundscape of the recording itself is. The HD800 remains enormous no matter the track, whereas the LCD2 is a different experience in soundstage track to track. Both are enjoyable in their own right.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #454 of 13,132
I was comparing the soundstage to my 2 channel monitor speakers yesterday and surprisingly the soundstage is pretty close to my speakers. Yes, they can't reproduce that airy sound that only speakers can but it is very true to the recording.
The HD800 has an artificial soundstage that sounds like you're in an auditorium.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #455 of 13,132

YOu need a reverb unit dude

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #456 of 13,132

Quote:
Why are you so obsessed with soundstage?

I can't help what my ears crave.  I want a realistic and incredibly dynamic with regard to the natural stage your ears pick up every day.  I aspire to get as close to this as possible.  It is out of my control, I simply am not happy unless the stage is very large and is not poorly set up or sounds stretched out just for the sake of a large stage.  All the clarity in the world means nothing to me if the soundstage is average.   

Quote:
Quote:

YOu need a reverb unit dude

Well, not all tracks should have any reverb, and I am way too lazy to toggle it for each song I want to listen to,  I was just suggested a reverb plugin for foobar and I absolutely hated it, it was called ISone or similar.  Hated every second of it, I'm doomed to walk the earth without a proper staging experience...at least until I create a set of headphones that replicate sounds realistically as our ears do with equal clarity and spacial awareness ;P

also, i still want to try this set really bad, im sure the stage isnt average, most reviews say the stage has amazing depth of field and separation is just incredible, with those two qualities this is a set i could own

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #457 of 13,132

Quote:

I can't help what my ears crave...It is out of my control

Well, let's hope you never crave crack cocaine. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #458 of 13,132

Quote:
Quote:

I probably have the largest head in the world then. :)

I had to extend the headband all the way to the end to fit my megamind head.

Even Beyerdynamic headphones are too small for my head, thought that Germans are bigger. :)

Same here. I have them extended all the way.

Mike were only set to three notches on each side.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #459 of 13,132
I am considering a future upgrade. I posted in the headphone guidance thread and got pointed to post in the specific threads so here in am 
rolleyes.gif

I currently have a Stello CDT100, Dacmagic, LD MKIII and a GS-1. I dont want to upgrade my amp. I really like the GS-1, its a year old and it took 4 months to get here.
The LCD-2 is on my list of options, together with the T1, HE-500, HE-6 and RS1.

Will the either of the amps have the balls to power the LCD-2? And how does it fare with heavy metal, blues and heavy rock?
I like a good soundstage, detail, punchy bass and strong mids

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #460 of 13,132

Quote:
I am considering a future upgrade. I posted in the headphone guidance thread and got pointed to post in the specific threads so here in am 
rolleyes.gif

I currently have a Stello CDT100, Dacmagic, LD MKIII and a GS-1. I dont want to upgrade my amp. I really like the GS-1, its a year old and it took 4 months to get here.
The LCD-2 is on my list of options, together with the T1, HE-500, HE-6 and RS1.

Will the either of the amps have the balls to power the LCD-2? And how does it fare with heavy metal, blues and heavy rock?
I like a good soundstage, detail, punchy bass and strong mids

I thought the GS-1 was awesome with the LCD-2. The DacMagic OTOH...not a big fan.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #461 of 13,132
Hey guys and gals - 

Here's some new LCD-2 appreciation from me -- http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/12870 -- post 12884

I hope you enjoy. :)

Jul 4, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #463 of 13,132
Talking about amps, has anyone used or tried the LCD-2s with the headroom desktop amp?

BTW have people noticed that now you can order these phones with a leather headband?

Jul 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #464 of 13,132

Quote:

BTW have people noticed that now you can order these phones with a leather headband?

Judging by the 180 posts that have come in after this one, I would say yes.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #465 of 13,132
Me, too!  I decided after much reading here that I should have a pair of LCD-2s.  I have been listening mostly to Bach organ lately and the HD800s just weren't cutting it.  They were accurate but polite.  I don' think organ, especially Bach organ, is polite.  Since there were 431,783 satisfied LCD owners I thought I'd start there for a set of 'phones that were organ compatible.  (Got really great service and fast shipping from Drew at Moon Audio, BTW.)

They arrived this morning and I've had them on my head almost non-stop for 5 hours.  Here are my initial impressions.

1. They are good - very good.  But... they don't make the instruments appear in your room and let you chat with the performers.  Which is another way of saying that my expectations were way too high from reading through some of the LCD-2 threads.

2. The more I listen the better I like them.  I really expected to be moved to tears and wasn't, but as I settle into them I am finding a lot to like.  The bass is deep and powerful (think how important this is to organ).  The separation between instruments is distinct.  I care more about separation than I do width of soundstage, so I'm happy here.  The soundstage is fine, however.  They are quick - super quick - It feels like they rev from quiet to loud faster than I can hear.  They also don't get confused when there is a lot happening in the sound.  I can hear the organ parts distinctly, no muddyness at all.  When the orchestra plays full I can hear the instruments distinctly even at lower volumes.  (BTW: I don' think enough has been made at how good these are at low volumes.  I actually like to listen at very low volume - these have a musicality when you play them softly.)

3. I am not bothered by the size or weight.  I actually have a smaller noggin than many of you - I almost always use the smallest setting on the headband, and there is no problem here.  They are tight, and they don't squeak on my glasses like the HD800s do.

4. Some odd things - I don't think the WA6 does a good job with them.  I like them better with my Ray Samuels SR-71A.  I get plenty of volume out of the blackbird, and think the tonal quality is richer - it's certainly better on the organ stuff.  Maybe the WA6 is underpowered, maybe it's my ears.  I don't quite know, but I'm glad I bought rechargeable batteries for the blackbird!
Another odd thing is that I'm having trouble with piano music - there is a ringing at any volume.  Don't know what it is, and it's not there with the HD800s.  I've heard it on the best recorded piano I've got (John Lenehan's Satie - thanks John Willett for this excellent recording! - as well as Angela Hewitt's Bach).  I'll be playing more piano once I get my Bach organ fix taken care of.

Thanks for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back