Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 12, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #466 of 13,134
ddoyle777, you do realise that the best headphones don't blow you away but rather insinuate themselves into your affections. A headphone that blows you away is a headphone to be avoided, as it almost certainly means one part of the frequency band is accentuated. As for being moved to tears, wait awhile: by tomorrow morning you may be crying like a baby.

And that ringing...I've got that too, but with me they call it tinnitus.

P.S.: does anyone call you Pinhead?
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #467 of 13,134

Quote:
ddoyle777, you do realise that the best headphones don't blow you away but rather insinuate themselves into your affections. A headphone that blows you away is a headphone to be avoided, as it almost certainly means one part of the frequency band is accentuated. As for being moved to tears, wait awhile: by tomorrow morning you may be crying like a baby.

And that ringing...I've got that too, but with me they call it tinnitus.

P.S.: does anyone call you Pinhead?
biggrin.gif

Holy crap. I couldn't have worded this better myself!

I find that headphones should come to be APPRECIATED, not taken for granted (I'm talking about the quality here...).

My friends are blown away when they listen to my LCD-2's, but when they compare it with my ath-ad700's, they say "it sounds the same".

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #468 of 13,134
I was thinking.  One under appreciated asset of the LCD2s are their ability to soak up power and deliver this power, if available, into a very visceral performance matched at exactly live performance volumes. 

I do enjoy brighter cans for low volume listening...at background levels.  Especially after an hour of LCD2 bashing on many an occasion. 

I start with the LCD2s softly....then louder....when a good track hits.  Then a really good track hits and I can't help but turn it up like a live performance...then the LCD2s hits its stride...track after track.

After that, I cannot go back in volume with the LCD2s as my hearing adapts to eliminate high frequencies temporarily.  I need a bright can for that on those long lazy listening occasions.

Bright cans are always too bright for me initially, even at the lowest volumes.

At those volumes, I notice the 10 khz peak in the LCD2s, not unpleasant...but a tad hot.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #469 of 13,134
pp312 - yep, I do realize that.  I was really making fun of all the people who reviewed the LDC-2s as if they were a direct line to the heavenly choirs as well as tugging on my own chain for believing them!  I have a few headphone purchases in the past where I was blown away only to have them sit on the shelf after a few weeks in disappointment.  I'm not planning to make any decision about keeping the headphones for at least a week.  

I found that I kept listening long after my normal bedtime last night, and I'm up early with the Messiah (Dunedin Consort version) playing this morning.  The voices are floating in front of the instruments - it's really quite pleasing.  

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #470 of 13,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryLvl1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My friends are blown away when they listen to my LCD-2's, but when they compare it with my ath-ad700's, they say "it sounds the same".

I'd be changing my friends, I think. They sound like a bunch of Pinocchios.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #471 of 13,134

Quote:
 I have a few headphone purchases in the past where I was blown away only to have them sit on the shelf after a few weeks in disappointment.  I'm not planning to make any decision about keeping the headphones for at least a week.  

I'd make that three weeks actually. That's how long it took me to accustom myself and decide the LCD was a keeper.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #473 of 13,134

Quote:
Me, too!  I decided after much reading here that I should have a pair of LCD-2s.  I have been listening mostly to Bach organ lately and the HD800s just weren't cutting it.  They were accurate but polite.  I don' think organ, especially Bach organ, is polite.  Since there were 431,783 satisfied LCD owners I thought I'd start there for a set of 'phones that were organ compatible.  (Got really great service and fast shipping from Drew at Moon Audio, BTW.)

They arrived this morning and I've had them on my head almost non-stop for 5 hours.  Here are my initial impressions.

1. They are good - very good.  But... they don't make the instruments appear in your room and let you chat with the performers.  Which is another way of saying that my expectations were way too high from reading through some of the LCD-2 threads.

2. The more I listen the better I like them.  I really expected to be moved to tears and wasn't, but as I settle into them I am finding a lot to like.  The bass is deep and powerful (think how important this is to organ).  The separation between instruments is distinct.  I care more about separation than I do width of soundstage, so I'm happy here.  The soundstage is fine, however.  They are quick - super quick - It feels like they rev from quiet to loud faster than I can hear.  They also don't get confused when there is a lot happening in the sound.  I can hear the organ parts distinctly, no muddyness at all.  When the orchestra plays full I can hear the instruments distinctly even at lower volumes.  (BTW: I don' think enough has been made at how good these are at low volumes.  I actually like to listen at very low volume - these have a musicality when you play them softly.)

3. I am not bothered by the size or weight.  I actually have a smaller noggin than many of you - I almost always use the smallest setting on the headband, and there is no problem here.  They are tight, and they don't squeak on my glasses like the HD800s do.

4. Some odd things - I don't think the WA6 does a good job with them.  I like them better with my Ray Samuels SR-71A.  I get plenty of volume out of the blackbird, and think the tonal quality is richer - it's certainly better on the organ stuff.  Maybe the WA6 is underpowered, maybe it's my ears.  I don't quite know, but I'm glad I bought rechargeable batteries for the blackbird!
Another odd thing is that I'm having trouble with piano music - there is a ringing at any volume.  Don't know what it is, and it's not there with the HD800s.  I've heard it on the best recorded piano I've got (John Lenehan's Satie - thanks John Willett for this excellent recording! - as well as Angela Hewitt's Bach).  I'll be playing more piano once I get my Bach organ fix taken care of.

Thanks for reading.

Very good post!  I agree with most of your points, and I've had my LCD-2's for nearly a year now...  actually 2 pairs, since the first one had a wood-cracking issue and was promptly replaced this spring.

Pointwise
#1: LOL chat with performers & shaking hands with the musicians.  Went to a concert last night and was doing that very thing.  Pretty disappointing to come home and listen to headphones, or speakers, or any recorded sounds.  Still just Hi-fi and all an illusion we build in our heads.

#2: very musical at low levels -- somewhat amp-dependent, but yes, I agree.

#3: My head is apparently similar to yours in size.  Pretty comfy, but I do find that after a few hours I'm relieved to remove them.  Glad I'm wearing wire rims not thick framed glasses.  But I do find them pretty heavy

#4: I didn't really like the LCD-2's with either the WA6SE or the WA22.  I only listened to each for about half an hour at a meet a couple months ago, using the same source.  I really liked the WA22, but felt the bass lines were not as clean as I'd like, and they really fell apart at higher volume levels.  The WA6SE was clean and powerful and really ripped on Toccata & Fugue, but overall I found it less musically involving than the WA22.  Ultimately, I don't think either of these is a perfect match without tube rolling.  There are several people here who have found really good tube matches, so I'd recommend that you explore tube rolling on your amp to optimize the match.  At the same meet, I listened to a Beta22 and was extremely impressed with its bass quality, but again didn't really love the overall harmonic envelope.  I heard the Ray Samuels SR-71a at a meet last fall and thought it did a very impressive job of driving the LCD-2s, but didn't get to listen to a variety of material, so no strong impressions otherwise.  Anyway, it sounds like you're on a good path!

#5: I'm a huge Angela Hewitt fan, listening especially to her French recordings (Chabrier and Couperin, the latter especially is wonderful).  I like, but don't love her renditions of the Bach Well-Tempered Clavier.  Haven't had the issue you list with piano on the LCD-2's.  My only experience with a ringing complaint is a slight ringing on huge choral works (think Mahler or the B-Minor Mass), but I'm never sure whether that is my defective ears or something happening with my playback chain.  Probably the former, as I hear it with my VPI/Rhea/FirstSound/Sandersound/Magneplanars in my listening room as well.  Thanks for the reco on "Satie" CD -- I'll have to chase that one down.

Hope you continue to enjoy the music

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #474 of 13,134
Thinking of getting LCD-2's. How do they go with electronic music (IDM, ambient, techno)? Any benefit to reterminate them balanced?

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #476 of 13,134

Quote:
Pointwise
#1: LOL chat with performers & shaking hands with the musicians.  Went to a concert last night and was doing that very thing.  Pretty disappointing to come home and listen to headphones, or speakers, or any recorded sounds.  Still just Hi-fi and all an illusion we build in our heads.

Wow, same here, went to a double bass duo concert. Very bizarre combination, they pulled it off though.

Recorded it with my LS 11 and it actually captured the concert very well. 

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #477 of 13,134

Quote:
I was thinking.  One under appreciated asset of the LCD2s are their ability to soak up power and deliver this power, if available, into a very visceral performance matched at exactly live performance volumes. 

I do enjoy brighter cans for low volume listening...at background levels.  Especially after an hour of LCD2 bashing on many an occasion. 

I start with the LCD2s softly....then louder....when a good track hits.  Then a really good track hits and I can't help but turn it up like a live performance...then the LCD2s hits its stride...track after track.

After that, I cannot go back in volume with the LCD2s as my hearing adapts to eliminate high frequencies temporarily.  I need a bright can for that on those long lazy listening occasions.

Bright cans are always too bright for me initially, even at the lowest volumes.

At those volumes, I notice the 10 khz peak in the LCD2s, not unpleasant...but a tad hot.

I start of at a low volume, but I tend to do the same thing. Tracks that I really like I end up turning up louder and louder.

As far as the cans with more treble that arent too bright that might compliment your lcd2, you may want to look at the he500.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #478 of 13,134
DeadEars

I haven't heard any of Hewitt's Chabrier and Couperin - oh boy! More to buy!  Thanks for the suggestion.  BTW: Suggestions for Well Tempered Clavier you like?

I haven't noticed anything of the ringing you mentioned on the loud choral works with the LCD-2s, but then I've only listened to a single Messiah recording.  I'll pay a bit of attention to that now.

I also switched out my amp for about 15 minutes today.  I dug up an old (2007) Headroom Micro and it aggravated my tinnitus something fierce at all volume levels, but it had no problem driving the LCDs at all.  I've got a Schiit Lyr on order - maybe the combo of the solid state with tubes will be nicer for me.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #479 of 13,134
DeadEars

I haven't heard any of Hewitt's Chabrier and Couperin - oh boy! More to buy!  Thanks for the suggestion.  BTW: Suggestions for Well Tempered Clavier you like?

I haven't noticed anything of the ringing you mentioned on the loud choral works with the LCD-2s, but then I've only listened to a single Messiah recording.  I'll pay a bit of attention to that now.

I also switched out my amp for about 15 minutes today.  I dug up an old (2007) Headroom Micro and it aggravated my tinnitus something fierce at all volume levels, but it had no problem driving the LCDs at all.  I've got a Schiit Lyr on order - maybe the combo of the solid state with tubes will be nicer for me.

you will love the Lyr

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #480 of 13,134
Hey guys, long time reader - first time writer. You punks have made me take the plunge! My LCD-2's are now ordered, and my girlfriend thinks I've lost it. Ha!

A question - I'm a producer and engineer first and foremost. I see a lot of you use a separate headphone amp with your cans. The headphone amp on my best-in-breed mobile firewire interface (what I intend these cans for) has the following specs. Can someone confirm it will drive these cans ok?

"While headphones with lower impedance would be expected to go louder than those with higher impedance, the ULN-2 headphone output is suited to a wide range of impedances.

The maximum drive current is roughly 40 ma.

The maximum output voltage is +/- 16v.

Depending on the impedance of the headphones, the driver can provide up to about 9/10 of a Watt of power; most headphones are easily driven by the headphone amp."

Thanks guys! Appreciate any input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back