Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #12,436 of 13,132
Ahh man don't tell me that! I just bought a pair from a HFier here. The LCD 2's were my favorite <$1k can. If so, really disappointing that Audeze is making all these changes and not telling anyone.
You will not be disappointed if you are after sound that LCD-2 is known to produce. My relatively new pair sounds lush in the MF, extended but smooth in the HF and punchy in the LF. I have noticed no change in their sound signature.
Driving with Jot 2 and Valhalla 2. It sounds magic on OTL.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #12,437 of 13,132
You will not be disappointed if you are after sound that LCD-2 is known to produce. My relatively new pair sounds lush in the MF, extended but smooth in the HF and punchy in the LF. I have noticed no change in their sound signature.

Thanks for letting me know. I just recently gave them a quick listen. It sounds like there may be a little more air from the 2016s if I recall. The sub bass still sounds like it slams but not as hard as I recall. I also had a Gumby and was running fully balanced back then so who knows? The Shedua wood is really nice - like a nice walnut color. The included cable is also better than what used to be included.

So far with limited head time I say your assessment is spot on.

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #12,438 of 13,132
Every time I put LCD-2 on, it reminds me what music reproduction is all about. Instruments sound real, with accurate timber, enveloped in just right amount of reverb and body, and with appropriately balanced tonality. Enjoyable, relaxing and exciting at the same time.

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #12,439 of 13,132
Every time I put LCD-2 on, it reminds me what music reproduction is all about. Instruments sound real, with accurate timber, enveloped in just right amount of reverb and body, and with appropriately balanced tonality. Enjoyable, relaxing and exciting at the same time.
How do you find it in comparison to LCD-XC ?

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #12,440 of 13,132
Wondering if any of you can help me out with a little "dilemma" I'm facing.

I'm noticing a little bit of tinnyness & grain ("digititis"?) in certain vocal performances on my LCD-2r2, and I'm unsure if it's the headphone or the headphone cable that is to blame (or maybe my inexpensive interconnects?). Here is my whole chain:

iMac > cardas clear USB > Schiit Yggdrasil GS > Monoprice RCA interconnects > Woo WA6-SE with Sophia Mesh plate rectifier and stock driver tubes > Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 headphone cable > Audeze LCD2r2 pre-fazor (I think... serial number in 53,000 range).

I started noticing the imperfections in the vocals after burning in the Silver Dragon cable, which otherwise is a very good cable... It seems to bring out a ton of detail, so that's why I'm wondering if maybe it's revealing flaws in the headphone, or maybe just flaws in the recordings themselves.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #12,441 of 13,132

I'm noticing a little bit of tinnyness & grain ("digititis"?) in certain vocal performances on my LCD-2r2, and I'm unsure if it's the headphone or the headphone cable that is to blame (or maybe my inexpensive interconnects?). Here is my whole chain:

iMac > cardas clear USB > Schiit Yggdrasil GS > Monoprice RCA interconnects > Woo WA6-SE with Sophia Mesh plate rectifier and stock driver tubes > Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 headphone cable > Audeze LCD2r2 pre-fazor (I think... serial number in 53,000 range).

I started noticing the imperfections in the vocals after burning in the Silver Dragon cable, which otherwise is a very good cable... It seems to bring out a ton of detail, so that's why I'm wondering if maybe it's revealing flaws in the headphone, or maybe just flaws in the recordings themselves.
This is one of the very few comments regarding grainyness of LCD-2. For that reason I suggest you look elsewhere in your system. Try cleaning the USB signal from iMac, replace Monoprice RCA with studio grade wire like Mogami/Neutrik and than check the tubes on WA6. See what makes it better and eliminates sound harshness.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #12,442 of 13,132

This is one of the very few comments regarding grainyness of LCD-2. For that reason I suggest you look elsewhere in your system. Try cleaning the USB signal from iMac, replace Monoprice RCA with studio grade wire like Mogami/Neutrik and than check the tubes on WA6. See what makes it better and eliminates sound harshness.
My money is on the tubes.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #12,443 of 13,132
How do you find it in comparison to LCD-XC ?
I can give you detailed and lengthy comparison if you wish, but in general and in short I would describe sound characteristic as follows.

LCD-2 better blends harmonics between various instruments while LCD-XC zooms better into every tone of the individual instrument. As I play cello, I'll give you an example. If I want to listen to the overall character of the instrument and/or emotional interpretation of the piece by cello player, I use LCD-2. On the other hand if I am interested in players technique LCD-XC is the better choice. Both have the same level of detail retrieval but LCD-2 have them more recessed throughout frequency range, hence perception is that LCD-XC is more detailed. This detail forewardness makes LCD-XC more sibilant in comparison. Although LCD-XC is incredibly open sounding for closed back design, LCD-2 presents more spacious sound stage.

Both are very enjoyable to me, in a different manner. Because of my taste in music, and bias, I enjoy LCD-2 better. It also goes several notches up in enjoyment and quality when I pair them with my OTL amplifier.

I can definitely see why LCD-XC is so popular with studio professionals and LCD-2 with musicians.

I hope above makes sense.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #12,445 of 13,132
My money is on the tubes.

Thanks guys. I'm going to tinker with it a bit. Need to get a better RCA interconnect anyway; I've got a new Stratus on the way further down the line :) and I'm going to want to scale my interconnect to do it justice.

To be clear... This setup sounds pretty darn good already; I'm probably nit-picking but I hear it a bit sometimes with vocals from, say, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, or for a more contemporary example, Taylor Swift.

I'll let you know what I find.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #12,446 of 13,132
Thanks guys. I'm going to tinker with it a bit. Need to get a better RCA interconnect anyway; I've got a new Stratus on the way further down the line :) and I'm going to want to scale my interconnect to do it justice.

To be clear... This setup sounds pretty darn good already; I'm probably nit-picking but I hear it a bit sometimes with vocals from, say, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, or for a more contemporary example, Taylor Swift.

I'll let you know what I find.
...also try to avoid the use of the adapters.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #12,447 of 13,132
... I'm probably nit-picking but I hear it a bit sometimes with vocals from, say, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, or for a more contemporary example, Taylor Swift.
Perhaps it's the recordings. Vintage recordings often emphasize the treble, and modern pop recordings tend to use heavy dynamic compression and EQ, sounding unnatural and distorted. If so, the headphones are truthfully conveying the limitations or flaws in the recordings.
Try some well recorded vocals, like:
https://play.primephonic.com/album/3760014194399
https://play.primephonic.com/album/3760014192159

Feb 19, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #12,448 of 13,132
Perhaps it's the recordings. Vintage recordings often emphasize the treble, and modern pop recordings tend to use heavy dynamic compression and EQ, sounding unnatural and distorted. If so, the headphones are truthfully conveying the limitations or flaws in the recordings.
I find the lcd2 pulls out every flaw no masking with them. Not as much as the K701, but pretty close.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #12,449 of 13,132
It does seem to depend on the recording, for sure. And that's probably the main culprit.

Feb 22, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #12,450 of 13,132
It does seem to depend on the recording, for sure. And that's probably the main culprit.
I'm embarrassed by all the time I've spent over the years trying to work out what's wrong with my gear, only to find that it is a previously unnoticed flaw in the recording 🤦‍♂️.

When I first got the 'speakers I use now, I was forever checking things against my headphones. I've finally got to the point where, if I hear distortion (particularly with old analogue recordings), I don't immediately stress about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back