Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #12,466 of 13,134
What is the best way to EQ these headphones from a mac? I want to just sign up for Apple Music and use the apple equalizer built in to the itunes-esque interface - but they don't offer lossless nearly as well as my current already-paid-for subscription to Amazon music (everything is 16 bit 44.1 or greater).

I have one of these on order and want to EQ them. I have a Loki on the way but they don't seem appropriate for this, actually, unfortunately.

Thanks if anyone knows a good way to EQ on the mac
Why not Loki?

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #12,467 of 13,134
Why not Loki?
Even in some of the simpler formulas I've seen to treat these headphones - there are sections of boost that with the Loki would overlap and boost sections where you need to cut - I suppose the simpler formula from Resolve might be sort of approximatable

I think anyway

I've been scouring the internet for direct testimony of the Loki with the LCD-2 to no avail

This is from Resolve:

"Required:
  • Low shelf - 100hz, +5dB
  • Pk - 750hz, -2dB, Q=2.3
  • Pk - 1600hz, +3.5dB, Q=1.41
  • Pk - 3000hz, +3.5dB, Q=1.41
  • Pk - 5600hz, -4dB, Q=3"

So for Loki that would mean:
Boost lower knob
Slight cut second knob
Boost on third knob
I wouldn't know whether to do a small cut on the last knob or just do nothing - I suppose nothing because the treble should be muted enough overall

I don't have the Loki till early March as its backordered and the LCD-2 should be here shortly to try out Un-EQed. It's kind of silly how there aren't many good options for EQ (EDIT: for MAC). It seems like Sonarworks Reference 4 headphones might be the ticket but there is a shortage of testimony on that as well and the support for that company hasn't responded to my query about their software

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #12,468 of 13,134
Even in some of the simpler formulas I've seen to treat these headphones - there are sections of boost that with the Loki would overlap and boost sections where you need to cut - I suppose the simpler formula from Resolve might be sort of approximatable

I think anyway

I've been scouring the internet for direct testimony of the Loki with the LCD-2 to no avail

This is from Resolve:

"Required:
  • Low shelf - 100hz, +5dB
  • Pk - 750hz, -2dB, Q=2.3
  • Pk - 1600hz, +3.5dB, Q=1.41
  • Pk - 3000hz, +3.5dB, Q=1.41
  • Pk - 5600hz, -4dB, Q=3"

So for Loki that would mean:
Boost lower knob
Slight cut second knob
Boost on third knob
I wouldn't know whether to do a small cut on the last knob or just do nothing - I suppose nothing because the treble should be muted enough overall

I don't have the Loki till early March as its backordered and the LCD-2 should be here shortly to try out Un-EQed. It's kind of silly how there aren't many good options for EQ (EDIT: for MAC). It seems like Sonarworks Reference 4 headphones might be the ticket but there is a shortage of testimony on that as well and the support for that company hasn't responded to my query about their software
First of all, you have your own ears. Second, why do you think some imaginary "preferred" target curve is relevant?

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #12,469 of 13,134
Fair enough. I do tend to prefer a darker, more veiled sound than most. It may be likely that I don't need to EQ this particular headphone, however detail is important to me and I gather that detail increases with proper EQ. Maybe I'd do just fine with the upper mid range bump from the Loki to these headphones. No telling for myself until I receive them.

That being said, it remains a fair argument that with the weird profile of the LCD-2 - the Loki might be a bit undergunned. Maybe not. I defer to those with greater experience as I formulate my own opinions.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #12,470 of 13,134
Fair enough. I do tend to prefer a darker, more veiled sound than most. It may be likely that I don't need to EQ this particular headphone, however detail is important to me and I gather that detail increases with proper EQ. Maybe I'd do just fine with the upper mid range bump from the Loki to these headphones. No telling for myself until I receive them.

That being said, it remains a fair argument that with the weird profile of the LCD-2 - the Loki might be a bit undergunned. Maybe not. I defer to those with greater experience as I formulate my own opinions.
Why don't you try the Reveal plugin that is available at no cost for macOS (10.10 and above)? See how it works for you. It is compatible with audio playback software like JRiver, Audirvana Plus, Pure Music, VOX, Foobar2000, etc.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #12,472 of 13,134
Great suggestions - I'll do some research to see which ones are compatible with streaming from Amazon Music HD. I know Audirvana isn't. It looks like Pure Music might be.
The free Reveal plug-in is one of the few that does not put a 'veil' over the music as soon as you switch it on.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #12,473 of 13,134
The free Reveal plug-in is one of the few that does not put a 'veil' over the music as soon as you switch it on.
Too many follow talking heads on YouTube who for the most part don't know what they are talking about.

Feb 26, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #12,474 of 13,134
That's probably true. I'm definitely coming on this forum to get more information. Certainly self-appointed judges judge. I think most of the Youtube opinions are transparently garbage but I do like think Andrew Park seems pretty sharp.

The advantage of becoming a self-appointed judge and gathering a following is of course the access to increasing DACs and Amps and headphones so with experience comes better taste. I don't think any of them are Robert Parkers in-waiting.

As for myself, I'm grateful for education from all sources, skeptically.

Feb 26, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #12,476 of 13,134
That's probably true. I'm definitely coming on this forum to get more information. Certainly self-appointed judges judge. I think most of the Youtube opinions are transparently garbage but I do like think Andrew Park seems pretty sharp.

The advantage of becoming a self-appointed judge and gathering a following is of course the access to increasing DACs and Amps and headphones so with experience comes better taste. I don't think any of them are Robert Parkers in-waiting.

As for myself, I'm grateful for education from all sources, skeptically.
Andrew is one of the few that is changing for the better. However, some of his recommended EQ values were clearly "off the charts." But as you said, good dose of skepticism is always wise when making decisions based on reviews.

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #12,478 of 13,134
Audirvana accepts 3rd Party parametric EQ software in AU (audio units format)...so not so much audirvana, but whichever 3rd party parametric EQ software that ranks high.

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #12,479 of 13,134
...what about Sonarworks reference 4 headphones for EQ? can you manually adjust EQ or do you have to use their prefigured ones, etc? I sent a message out to their support but haven't heard anything
I've been using Sonarworks for a few different headphones. You can adjust the amount of the EQ profile - for the LCD 2's, I use just enough to bring out some of the mids. There's also a bass/tilt adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back