Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #12,031 of 13,134
Signed up just to thank everyone for all of their knowledge and impressions on these headphones. I've been using Massdrop HD6XX for my primary work headphones for the last year and Grado RS2e for home for a few years. I've always loved the HD6XX, they just tick off all the right boxes for me. I liked the Grados at first, but the foam-on-ear pads just weren't comfortable for longer sessions and the upper tones just seemed too shouty for me even playing LPs through my Woo Audio headphone amp.

After tons of research, I settled on the Audeze LCD-2 as a possible match for me. I'm lucky enough to a short subway ride from Audio 46, so I visited there and Tony let me try a pair. I plugged them into my A&K SR15 and the sound was fantastic, very rich and warm. However, I noticed that I had to turn the A&K volume up to about 110 or so, instead of the usual 70-80 that I use with my Final Audio B3 IEMs. Forgot that the impedence was different. They still sounded great though and I was pretty much already sold on the LCD-2s.

Then Tony plugged them into an iFi audio portable amp just to show me how they sound when properly amplified. Holy hell, what a difference. Night and day difference. After listening to a few of my go-to sample tracks, I realized there was no way I was leaving that store w/o the LCD-2s. Between the luxurious and huge pads and the rich sound, I was in audio heaven.

So, thank you for sharing your own experiences and leading me to my own audio nirvana. My wife is out of town this weekend, and I'm not sure I'll even leave the house now that I have these.
Hi Hoke,

I have a portable iFi DAC/amp and while my LCD-2s sound good with it, I have found that they really come to life driven from the balanced output of a mains powered amp.

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #12,032 of 13,134
Hi there, just got new lcd 2 fazor. I have the feeling that one side (left) is ever so slightly louder/more prominent. I have never had that feeling with any other can. Has anyone had that issue?

Definitely try what @Lohb suggests. It could be the pads too - gently press the pads together and see if one side compresses more than the other. I had a slight imbalance because of the original pads on my LCD2F.

Jan 27, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #12,033 of 13,134
Hi Hoke,

I have a portable iFi DAC/amp and while my LCD-2s sound good with it, I have found that they really come to life driven from the balanced output of a mains powered amp.
Good to know, they definitely sound incredible with my Woo Audio headphone amp. I haven't plugged them into my integrated amp, but I need to. Have REALLY been happy with these headphones. Almost every night I'm carving out time to listen for a couple of hours. I'm afraid my wife is getting jealous!

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #12,034 of 13,134
Hi there, just got new lcd 2 fazor. I have the feeling that one side (left) is ever so slightly louder/more prominent.
Email Audeze, definitely not normal. Their email support is superb.
Almost every night I'm carving out time to listen for a couple of hours. I'm afraid my wife is getting jealous!
That's the LCD-2 effect for ya

Jan 31, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #12,035 of 13,134
The cup frame has slipped out of the bamboo cup at the connector - should I be worried?
Please see photos for what I mean.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-01-31 at 3.54.55 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-31 at 3.54.55 PM (2).jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-01-31 at 3.54.55 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-31 at 3.54.55 PM (1).jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-01-31 at 3.54.55 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-01-31 at 3.54.55 PM.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #12,037 of 13,134
Thanks for your support on the issue.

Email Audeze, definitely not normal. Their email support is superb.That's the LCD-2 effect for ya

I am in contact with the dealer here in Europe. BTW, I thought the lcd2 were ok stock EQ. I was a bit disappointed at first. Great bass but voices to much forward. I then tried the reveal plug in (already better) and afterwards your EQ Settings. Day and Night. I love them with EQ. i am overwhelmed by how much better they sound.
By any chance: Do you happen to have a good EQ recommendation for the iSine 10 with the original version 1 cipher for the Audeze iPhone App. To make it sound like the lcd 2 with eq (at least as close as).

thanks again.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #12,038 of 13,134
Thanks for your support on the issue.

I am in contact with the dealer here in Europe. BTW, I thought the lcd2 were ok stock EQ. I was a bit disappointed at first. Great bass but voices to much forward. I then tried the reveal plug in (already better) and afterwards your EQ Settings. Day and Night. I love them with EQ. i am overwhelmed by how much better they sound.
By any chance: Do you happen to have a good EQ recommendation for the iSine 10 with the original version 1 cipher for the Audeze iPhone App. To make it sound like the lcd 2 with eq (at least as close as).

thanks again.
I don't have settings for any of their in ear models yet. At some point I plan to shoot out and EQ all of them however, from iSine 10 to LCD-i4. I tried an i3 relatively recently and found even with the Cipher cable that the upper mids were still much too dead sounding. So I will have to come up with some of my own profiles for those

Feb 29, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #12,044 of 13,134
Before the mod I just removed the original headband to leave only the metal part, then I cut the leather to resume the principle of the new headband ..

LCD2 original.jpg

lcd2f peinture - Copie.jpg

during painting

Mod complet - Copie.jpg

My modd from my friend Renecito
mod papier - Copie.jpgmod mousse - Copie.jpg
mod mousse noir - Copie.jpg

On left the AHG Sheepskin pads, on right the old original pads
pads  - Copie.jpg IMG_20200225_150701 - Copie.jpg

I got the old plastic disc from the old pads, I stuck it on the new pads. Like that in the future if I have to change the pads the leather will no longer be torn as it is the case with each change of pads ...

Finally thanks to the modding of my friend Renecito I rediscovered the LCD2F, which pushed me to give it a try on the LCD2 Classic. I loved the rendering of the modded LCD2f, and I loved the very punchy rendering of the modded LCD2 Classic. The simple modd is perfectly reversible, it allows a small enhancement of the mediums which gives more brightness to the LCD2 Classic. On the other hand on the LCD2 Fazor the white foam is 50% thinner than on the photo that I posted. This again gives an enhancement of the medium but above all a good overall balance at the LCD2F.

Finally, I cannot forget that I have taken the road to Audeze because I use an exceptional CMA Twelve Master. From my 10 years experience in audio, I rarely have owned an amp / dac that combines so much quality and balance.

The mod of the grids of the LCD2f was so long to do that I could not resign myself to reproducing it on the LCD2 Classic, suddenly I started on a painting. I specify that I cut and perforated myself the pieces of leather, on the LCD2f I chose a pattern very inspired by the grids. On the LCD2 Classic I chose a slightly denser pattern with slightly larger openings.

For painting I chose the color Imperial Red, 12 hours of drying while waiting for the second coat. Then I applied a first coat of mat epoxy coatings, and after 6 hours of drying I again applied a second coat of epoxy varnish.

I think the final result is very good, the finish is I think good, knowing all the same that I made it with spray ...

LCD2c Red Mod - Copie.jpg
LCD2c mod vertical - Copie.jpg
LCD2c Leather mod - Copie.jpg
LCD2 Rec mod Headband.jpg

It's my Black/Red LCD2 Classic mod, I'm finishing the predominantly red cable with splitter and matte black connectors !

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #12,045 of 13,134
It's my Black/Red LCD2 Classic mod, I'm finishing the predominantly red cable with splitter and matte black connectors !
That red styling does look good :)
But i still prefer the normal unpainted waxed rosewood lcd2.

B729E504-6794-4BBB-ACEC-320E9BBB4396.jpeg

.... it sounds amazing as well, after 10 years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back