Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #12,061 of 13,139
I've just sold my Audeze LCD-2s and now I feel free to say that these headphones, while of immense quality, meshed terribly with my Schiit Jotunheim with the Multibit DAC. They had a weird peak around 650MHz that made them almost painful to listen to. I tried to EQ this peak out but it was too much. I used the line in and bypassed the DAC and the problem disappeared. The headphones also sounded fine on the headphone out of my NAD C 338 stereo amp, so I can say with confidence that the Schiit Multibit DAC hated the LCD-2s.

My impressions after solving my DAC issues: I had the 2016 revision with Fazor and with the old-school headband. They were beautifully detailed and lovely to listen to. However, I bought these under the impression they were a "bassy" headphone and that was a mistake. My two headphones currently are Dekoni Blues and V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. These are both what I would consider a "bassy" headphone and the Audezes were flat in comparison. I attribute this to the difference between "audiophile bass" and "consumer bass". The Audezes are lackluster in terms of impact when compared to the heavy hitters of the bass world such as the Dekoni Blues, V-Moda Crossfades, or other deep headphones like the Denon AH-D7000 or Fostex TR-X00. The Audezes have beautifully detailed bass, far better than my Dekonis or V-Modas, but that is expected at their price point. But they lack the impact that I expected, hence my selling. My conclusion is that while I can fully appreciate their quality, the LCD-2s just are not for me. I'm writing this impression post in the hopes I can inform somebody with similar tastes to mine.
You shouldn't compare wireless anything to wired, that's silly. Maybe if you mentioned the V-Moda M100 nstead of the Wireless version then that would make sense.

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #12,062 of 13,139
As I just just ordered a LCD-2, awaiting fulfillment *insert impatience* lol. How do they compare to the EL-8? The EL-8 esp amped spanks my he-400 up and down. Will a Little dot mk2 or a creative E5 be enough amp for them?

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #12,065 of 13,139
For those of you using the suspension headband, does the leather headband itself make contact with the metal when it's on your head? In a certain spot towards the middle, my head is making contact with metal band. Trying to see if this is normal or if mine is defective.
Did you buy it new or used? I recently upgraded by LCD-2.2 (pre-fazor) to the same headband used by the LCD-2C,2F, and 3, and there's plenty of clearance between the comfort strap and the metal bar on my round head. Do you hang your LCD-2's by the comfort strap? Doing that would stretch out the comfort strap to the same extent and result as yours. If you cannot get it replaced by Audeze, then you should properly measure and puncture two additional screw holes in the leather strap above the highest ones already there, as shown here: https://imgur.com/a/tqyZCiy. Afterwards, you just unscrew the screws holding the comfort strap in and then rescrew the comfort strap back on via the new screw holes.

EDIT: Added link to pics of mod from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8kf6o6/lcd2c_headband_mod/

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #12,066 of 13,139
I've just sold my Audeze LCD-2s and now I feel free to say that these headphones, while of immense quality, meshed terribly with my Schiit Jotunheim with the Multibit DAC. They had a weird peak around 650MHz that made them almost painful to listen to. I tried to EQ this peak out but it was too much. I used the line in and bypassed the DAC and the problem disappeared. The headphones also sounded fine on the headphone out of my NAD C 338 stereo amp, so I can say with confidence that the Schiit Multibit DAC hated the LCD-2s.

My impressions after solving my DAC issues: I had the 2016 revision with Fazor and with the old-school headband. They were beautifully detailed and lovely to listen to. However, I bought these under the impression they were a "bassy" headphone and that was a mistake. My two headphones currently are Dekoni Blues and V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. These are both what I would consider a "bassy" headphone and the Audezes were flat in comparison. I attribute this to the difference between "audiophile bass" and "consumer bass". The Audezes are lackluster in terms of impact when compared to the heavy hitters of the bass world such as the Dekoni Blues, V-Moda Crossfades, or other deep headphones like the Denon AH-D7000 or Fostex TR-X00. The Audezes have beautifully detailed bass, far better than my Dekonis or V-Modas, but that is expected at their price point. But they lack the impact that I expected, hence my selling. My conclusion is that while I can fully appreciate their quality, the LCD-2s just are not for me. I'm writing this impression post in the hopes I can inform somebody with similar tastes to mine.
Try the Fostex Ebony.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #12,068 of 13,139
Bought them new direct from Audeze. I don't hang them at-all, when not in use they're stored back in their case, and they honestly get limited use.
It sucks to read that. Yeah, I agree that one shouldn't resort to such mods on their brand new $1,000 cans. No need to provide pics, I believe you. Fitment and comfort varies for different people. For myself, I couldn't stand the hotspot on my head formed by my brand new (at the time) 1More Triple Driver Over-Ears (more like On-Ears). However, others found no issue with their comfort. *shrugs*

I hope you figure out a way to fix the problem by yourself or with the help of Audeze or others here.

Apr 25, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #12,071 of 13,139
Has anyone who's heard the LCD 2 also heard the Focal Elear? I've heard that the Elear has actually more impactful bass (so things like kick drums and floor toms slam harder) than the LCD 2? Can anyone clarify if that is the case? And if so, is it a marginal difference, or a big one?

Thanks

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #12,072 of 13,139
Apr 25, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #12,073 of 13,139
Has anyone who's heard the LCD 2 also heard the Focal Elear? I've heard that the Elear has actually more impactful bass (so things like kick drums and floor toms slam harder) than the LCD 2? Can anyone clarify if that is the case? And if so, is it a marginal difference, or a big one?

Thanks
I expect many people here have heard both, so you’ll get different answers soon I bet. :wink:

I do own both although won’t be near either for a couple of days but now I’m curious and must compare the two as soon as I can.:sweat_smile:

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #12,074 of 13,139

Thanks

I have both and I'm not sure that I hear more impactful bass from the Elear. I'm leaning towards the opposite - it's hard to beat the Audeze bass.

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #12,075 of 13,139
They are very close, quantity wise and quality wise, these are some of the headphones I am using for comparisons while working on my hd820 review. 2 things I noticed, the elears were a little easier to position and get a good seal (which is important for best bass impact), the audezes took a bit more experimentation to perch them in the right position (on my head that meant high and forward, had the bottom of the pads up against my earlobe). And number 2, I feel the audezes (mine are the lcd2f) may have a flatter more neutral frequency response, while the elears have a very slight boost mid/upper bass. It's so close that I may even be imagining it but I would give audeze the nod for quality, and elear the nod for quantity. I would not trade my audezes for the elear though, I prefer the clearer sound of the audezes. And I have a schiit loki and I confirm that the audeze respond extremely well the eq. I did not test the elears with my loki, so i dont know if they are the same, apologies, the elears were on loan and i was just comparing all the headphones I had access to to the hd820's and I had/have alot of ground to cover..

As always ymmv, sound is subjective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back