Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #11,821 of 13,134
this one:
IMG_20180703_190624_1111.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #11,823 of 13,134
Have been using a LCD2 for about a year now, mostly rewarding, but have some problems. Bought them second hand and they were fine, mainly without blemishes. I've been treating them carefully but now they start to show signs of wear. Of course the cup side of the pads have started flaking rather badly, that was to be expected. Are new original pads better in this respect, or are other alternatives to prefer? Also thinking of the sound balance where treble could use a lift.

The yoke/wood problem is another thing - the metal eats up the wood causing the bows to scrape the pads. Not a very professional solution. Are the wood rings available as spares? Another idea would be to insert som sort of metal lining to stop the wearing of the wood tracks.

It's a nice headphone to use as a complement to others, in some combinations (amps/music) it sounds quite impressive, but these quality problems are a bit of a let down.

Have tried to find answers to my questions in the Audeze threads, but the mass of posts makes it impossibe. Greatful for some input concerning this.

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #11,824 of 13,134
i see a lot newer lcd2 does the flaking. mine is from 2009, no flaking at all. i think the older one maybe leather including that part.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #11,826 of 13,134
How is the LCD-2 detail retrieval compared with DT-1990?

i had a t1 2nd generation for 2 years. now got the lcd 2 old one with foam headband. i like it a lot more than beyerdynamic. anything like the lcd2, 3 anything that is plannar is greater than the t1. i had a little dot mk iii with 1960s tubes to drive the t1, not bad but not me but anyone i showed it to are now much more impressed with my current headphones than that. so i would imagine the 1990 sounds similar. then again i got this audio-gd giant dac amp that is better than anything i heard so far to drive everything i have and it's been end game for me.

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #11,827 of 13,134
Have been using a LCD2 for about a year now, mostly rewarding, but have some problems. Bought them second hand and they were fine, mainly without blemishes. I've been treating them carefully but now they start to show signs of wear. Of course the cup side of the pads have started flaking rather badly, that was to be expected. Are new original pads better in this respect, or are other alternatives to prefer? Also thinking of the sound balance where treble could use a lift.

The yoke/wood problem is another thing - the metal eats up the wood causing the bows to scrape the pads. Not a very professional solution. Are the wood rings available as spares? Another idea would be to insert som sort of metal lining to stop the wearing of the wood tracks.

It's a nice headphone to use as a complement to others, in some combinations (amps/music) it sounds quite impressive, but these quality problems are a bit of a let down.

Have tried to find answers to my questions in the Audeze threads, but the mass of posts makes it impossibe. Greatful for some input concerning this.

Unfortunately that’s just wear and tear, although yours looks more worn and torn. My LCD-3 pads have also flaked slightly but that’s only in one point and because I mishandled them. For robust headphones the LCDs really to have to be mollycoddled - never put them down on a hard surface and put them on on and off very carefully. Also best to keep them in their box when notbin use.

If you want a really good pair of replacement pads consider the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin or Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads from @DekoniAudio. They’re made with real memory foam and cost half the price of Audeze replacement pads.

As for the wood, that’s a weak point of the cup design, although it usually cracks in the other side to where yours has worn. This is more common in the LCD-2 woods, the LCD-3 and LCD-4 seem to have their cups made with stronger woods and finishes, especially the more recent models. You can’t buy replacements but you can send them in to Audeze for repair/replacement.

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #11,830 of 13,134
Hello LCD-2 owners. I have one question for the (more) recent purchasers of the LCD-2s ... just got mine today and besides the fact that there are several changes regarding them (the headstrap band instead of the old, lambskin leather one), i noticed big audio differences between the ones i got now and the ones i auditioned this May, at our country's official dealer. A close friend of mine has the LCD2Cs, bought this black friday (around 3 weeks ago) and we listened side-by-side and the differences are quite...hell, i may be wrong but they are kinda big. I have the Bamboo Fazor model and the soundstage is actually impressive! Compared to his 2Cs, they sound almost congested...and the overall tonality is more bright (not in the sennheiser/beyer way) but in a more balanced way. My memory might not be serving me that well at the moment but they sound totally different compared to those i've auditioned half a year ago. Has @Audeze changed something? As far as i'm concerned, they sound *way* better than what i was expecting!

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #11,831 of 13,134
Hello LCD-2 owners. I have one question for the (more) recent purchasers of the LCD-2s ... just got mine today and besides the fact that there are several changes regarding them (the headstrap band instead of the old, lambskin leather one), i noticed big audio differences between the ones i got now and the ones i auditioned this May, at our country's official dealer. A close friend of mine has the LCD2Cs, bought this black friday (around 3 weeks ago) and we listened side-by-side and the differences are quite...hell, i may be wrong but they are kinda big. I have the Bamboo Fazor model and the soundstage is actually impressive! Compared to his 2Cs, they sound almost congested...and the overall tonality is more bright (not in the sennheiser/beyer way) but in a more balanced way. My memory might not be serving me that well at the moment but they sound totally different compared to those i've auditioned half a year ago. Has @Audeze changed something? As far as i'm concerned, they sound *way* better than what i was expecting!

the model you bought has the 2018 driver, the same of the lcd2c but with fazor (i had them and personally i didn't find all those differences), however 6 months ago you probably auditioned the older fazor model.

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #11,832 of 13,134
the model you bought has the 2018 driver, the same of the lcd2c but with fazor (i had them and personally i didn't find all those differences), however 6 months ago you probably auditioned the older fazor model.

Literally 5 minutes ago my friend just left and we listened to both pairs on the same setup and we both noticed the differences i wrote above. Could the fazors be making such a huge difference? Because in comparison, again, his LCD-2C sound so muffled that even he hates me for exposing him to the LCD-2F :)))

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #11,833 of 13,134
Literally 5 minutes ago my friend just left and we listened to both pairs on the same setup and we both noticed the differences i wrote above. Could the fazors be making such a huge difference? Because in comparison, again, his LCD-2C sound so muffled that even he hates me for exposing him to the LCD-2F :)))

This would be one way to test out the above theory....
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fos...and-measurements.618659/page-96#post_11113216
....with the treble extension differences, and both open I doubt they could be the exact same driver.....

My 2CB probably has similar treble extension to the 2018 2F due to the resistor thingy device in the cup of 2CB....2CB extended on both ends vs 2C

2C open was to be like the pre-fazor 2.2 driver due to the demand for that baseline tuning, which was different to the 2F fazor drivers....so unless 2018 F has a warmer tilt, they would be different as I doubt a fazor can make a temperature/tone shift.

2C also not exactly like the 2.1 driver which was thicker again like honey, darker tonality yet again, and slower attack/decay response (real world visceral drum decay timing vs fast and truncated on F) and the power requirements were fields apart....you can get a baseline sound directly out a macbook air with 2C/2CB if your amp/dac are not at hand...
Edit : IMHO.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #11,834 of 13,134
Yes, the 2016 driver revision (I believe that’s the latest one actually) made the sound of the LCD-2F and 3F far more ‘balanced’ and closer to ‘neutral’ than most previous LCDs.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I bought my 2F and discovered it to be much more even than I expected. I always thought LCD meant thick like honey, and boy was I glad it didn’t (although I get why many would value a headphone with this type of sound signature).

I don’t think it’s just the fazor either, because fazors previous to 2016 didn’t have this degree of open, balanced sound. The only ‘downside’ is that the bass isn’t as huge and deep as it was with previous iterations, but I think that’s a compromise worth making. Enjoy them!

Dec 5, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #11,835 of 13,134
1 question for audeze LCD2 owners.i am planning to buy this headphone and use it with the massdrop linear THX AAA AMP and either a topping or ifi dac.I will mainly use it for modern music with some old music here n there. With genres from hip-hop to rock,metal,edm. But my question is how do this sound with gaming . I just need to know if they have a big enough and accurate sound stage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back