Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jun 28, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #8,597 of 13,140

I'm thinking this is what people are actually thinking about. Maybe they just don't like the sound signature of those pieces of hardware with the LCD. If you can crank it up though, it's definitely going to be loud enough.

I see what you mean, but why does Audeze recommend 1 – 4W @ 70 ohms?

0.3W @ 70 ohms was enough volume to be painful for me. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Jun 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #8,598 of 13,140
Someone more knowledgeable might be able to explain the technicalities of that, I might even be wrong. Or maybe their recommendation is just plain overkill. My 2.3W can get to ear shattering levels, but I would never want to crank it past 11 o'clock.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #8,600 of 13,140

I see what you mean, but why does Audeze recommend 1 – 4W @ 70 ohms?

0.3W @ 70 ohms was enough volume to be painful for me. I feel like I'm missing something here.

I was curious, so I sent Audeze an email to ask about this.

Their response:
There is no optimal power rating, BUT we do require minimum power. And due to the Planar Magnetic design of our headphones, they can take a great deal of power without distorting. The technical reasons are too long to address in this email, but please see the following links:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-questions-find-the-answers-here

As a sidenote, pretty impressed with the speed of their response

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #8,601 of 13,140
  I was curious, so I sent Audeze an email to ask about this.

Their response:
There is no optimal power rating, BUT we do require minimum power. And due to the Planar Magnetic design of our headphones, they can take a great deal of power without distorting. The technical reasons are too long to address in this email, but please see the following links:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607282/headphone-amp-impedance-questions-find-the-answers-here

As a sidenote, pretty impressed with the speed of their response

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

I just listened to the LCD-XC, LCD-3 and EL-8C on a Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp at the audio shop down the street. While the Audezes did sound better with that amp, I think the darker, pear shaped Audeze sound may simply not be a great fit for my tastes.

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #8,602 of 13,140
heard this headphone yesterday and ye its best, hd800 is meh in comparison, hifiman he400s is even worse than hd800

also was surprised that it actually works from regular dac, and its not as heavy as it looks or how people in youtube review made it to be. but ye such a dynamic sound

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #8,604 of 13,140
Just want to chime in with my 2 cents RE: Magni2 with LCD2. In my own experience, I found the magni2 to pair well . It provides plenty of power and I feel the LCDs sound full and lush out of it. But as stated, that is my own admittedly subjective take on it. As Koolpep expressed, not everyone concurrs.

I just went downgrade from Black Cube Linear amp (clone ofc :D ) to magni 2, and i reallized something that LCD2's sounding was not affected by the amp likely more than the DAC, and yes, I'm gonna upgrade my DAC as soon as possible (currently using Musical Fidelity Vdac now :) )

Jul 2, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #8,605 of 13,140
  I just went downgrade from Black Cube Linear amp (clone ofc :D ) to magni 2, and i reallized something that LCD2's sounding was not affected by the amp likely more than the DAC, and yes, I'm gonna upgrade my DAC as soon as possible (currently using Musical Fidelity Vdac now :) )

May I suggest the Schiit Bifrost Multibit ($599)?, Or the Delta Sigma version which is $200 cheaper but apparently still no joke in the sub $1000 price range.

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #8,607 of 13,140
I love my missus a quick fleeting comment about how much I adore these headphones other than comfort 10minutes before she popped off to work. knocked me up a Audeze comfort sausage before work with promises of better later well for a couple of mins on the machine In am well my head is in happy place.

And here is me a few weeks ago thinking I was going to be in a world of missus pain for buying the lcds and I am getting fluffy cushion head cloud cushions made lol

She will kill me for posting this knocked it up in a couple of minutes before work with promises of better looking forward to V2 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back