Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jun 20, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #8,566 of 13,132
  Sure LCD2 without a good amp is worthless.
EL8 is better out of a smartphone but with with a good portable amp my modded t50rp was better for a fraction of the price aside the fun to mod them.

If you consider price I would take a woody SR-225e (plus dynamat, sorbothan and felt mods) or SennGrado over LCD-2, EL8 or HD-650.  I've never heard a t50rp but did get to hear the Alpha Dog and Prime which are modded t50rp unless I'm mistaken, they are not even close to a woody SR-225e which has faster tighter bass, goes just as low, mids like a HD-650 and the highs that get close to a HD-800/T1.  It doesn't have the sound stage of the HD-800/T1 and isn't quite as clean or resolving but at $275 its a much better bargain IMO.

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #8,567 of 13,132
Probably far less often an occurance. I can't listen to things near concert level for more than 5min. Usually end up listening for 30min+ at a time so it has to be 'not deafening.'

Not surprising in the least. Whenever I'm with other people they always listen to things at these insane levels. Or if I go to some kind of live auditorium event I always remember to bring earplugs.

Well, with headphones, the levels I listen at for long periods aren't quite that loud. I would say about as loud as a hotel lounge band plays or a wedding band maybe. Loud enough to definitely not be able to hear anything around me very well or at all. 

At low levels I find that the LCD 2 and 3 really don't distinguish themselves all that much.

If you consider price I would take a woody SR-225e (plus dynamat, sorbothan and felt mods) or SennGrado over LCD-2, EL8 or HD-650.  I've never heard a t50rp but did get to hear the Alpha Dog and Prime which are modded t50rp unless I'm mistaken, they are not even close to a woody SR-225e which has faster tighter bass, goes just as low, mids like a HD-650 and the highs that get close to a HD-800/T1.  It doesn't have the sound stage of the HD-800/T1 and isn't quite as clean or resolving but at $275 its a much better bargain IMO.

Retail is $995, the LCD 2 is in a different league altogether... It would make more sense to compare it to the HE-560 and T1, with the reduced price the T1 now goes for. 

Even with those and the HD800, I still choose the LCD 2 every time. 

The EL8 at $700 is also not in the same ballpark as any sub $500 set of cans...seriously, and I've heard the cans worth listening to under $500, they just do not compare.....

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #8,568 of 13,132
  I've purchased lcd2 rev.1 for a couple of days ago, recently noticed that the left connector on the headphone popped out abit. I've tried to push it back (with my thumbs) but no works, though the sound still normal, what should i do?
frown.gif

Suggest sending it back to Audeze for repair to make sure the fix is done correctly.  Be sure to ask them to not change the driver elements since early versions of the LCD2 are in high demand,

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #8,570 of 13,132

Well, with headphones, the levels I listen at for long periods aren't quite that loud. I would say about as loud as a hotel lounge band plays or a wedding band maybe. Loud enough to definitely not be able to hear anything around me very well or at all. 

At low levels I find that the LCD 2 and 3 really don't distinguish themselves all that much.

Retail is $995, the LCD 2 is in a different league altogether... It would make more sense to compare it to the HE-560 and T1, with the reduced price the T1 now goes for. 

Even with those and the HD800, I still choose the LCD 2 every time. 

The EL8 at $700 is also not in the same ballpark as any sub $500 set of cans...seriously, and I've heard the cans worth listening to under $500, they just do not compare.....

Your choice of the LCD-2 over the HE-560, T1 and HD-800 is the sound that you prefer, no one can argue with that.

As for price, it doesn't mean that a $1000 will sound better than a $300 one, it comes down to what the individual likes.  Hope you get to try a good SennGrado or Ypsilon driver in a wood cup, it will show what is possible and that cost is not the only important factor in the sound quality.  I think there are a few headphones in the $500 range that better the EL8 and LCD-2, my HD-700, RS2e and modded HD-650 are all slightly better to my ears, I own all of these headphones so it doesn't make sense to favor one over the other but over time I just don't use the EL8 and LCD-2 as much as other headphones that I own.  Even my SR-009 doesn't get used much, the headphones with the most use are HD-650, HD-700, HE-560, Ypsilon Driver in walnut wood cup and SRH-1840.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #8,571 of 13,132

Suggest sending it back to Audeze for repair to make sure the fix is done correctly.  Be sure to ask them to not change the driver elements since early versions of the LCD2 are in high demand,

thank you for noticing my post :D i'm worry that my LCD2 is out of warranty and shipping from my country cost alot :frowning2: (i've mailed the Audeze support and waiting for answer though) Should i use a pair of pincers and try to plug it back in?

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #8,572 of 13,132
I would wait until Audeze responds before trying to repair.  They likely have seen this before and may have a suggested fix that can be done without sending your LCD2 back to them.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #8,573 of 13,132
  I would wait until Audeze responds before trying to repair.  They likely have seen this before and may have a suggested fix that can be done without sending your LCD2 back to them.

I've search (google, youtube...) and found out that not only me got this problem, much ppl got it too (especially comes along with cracked wood, mine doesnt have cracked wood problem) :) My LCD2 still serve good, but i'm.... kinda OCD :frowning2: and find it really hard to stand :frowning2:
Thank you so much for answer my question ^^
// I've found the authorized dealer of Audeze in my country, luckily they're very close to me. Can authorized dealer fix, or they should/have/must send back to Audeze? (i'm talking about the term, agreement, deal between company and authorized dealer, not about technical :D )

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #8,574 of 13,132

Do you have a link to the SR225e mods you mentioned?

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #8,575 of 13,132
Mines have the mini xlr that get out of the plug easily if I pull the cable. While it can sometimes get out unexpectedly I see it more as a savior for my lcd. I would damage them the few time I stand up with the cable stuck somewhere under my foot, the table, ....

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #8,576 of 13,132

Nah, I'm in love with planar :)

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #8,577 of 13,132
  I wouldn't consider the LCD-2 an "upgrade" to the HD-600/650, more like a side grade but it depends on the amp for me.  HD-650 and BH Crack with good tubes is my choice over Lyr2 and LCD-2 for me, both for sound and comfort.

Sure, whatever you want to call it they seem to have what I'm looking for that is different. I will certainly by auditioning them before I buy but I'm more concerned about long-term comfort which can't be derived from a short audition.

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #8,579 of 13,132
Well, guys, I've just joined the club! 
I mean I bought LCD-2 today.
Non-Fazor, used, produced in 2012. But in perfect condition. 

So far it seems that they're exactly what I wanted - a different sound signature in addition to my dearly loved HE-560, and to TH-600, and to PM-3 and some others. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #8,580 of 13,132

Well hotel lounge is more reasonable. I'm not saying the LCDs don't sound different with different gear, I prefer the Ember over the O2 for most of what I listen to (not all though). What I was saying was the O2 definitely doesn't lack in power, I've never gone past 1 o'clock. It more comes down to what music I'm listening to when choosing which amp, rather than one lacking in power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back