Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jul 3, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #8,611 of 13,139
Pa not a foresale add was just super chuffed.. first time been able to sit back not constantly adjust and just feel how great these headphones are.

#softlad

My lovely lady made a headband cover for mine. She thinks they look like 'hamburgers' on my head :)

love these headphones. Listening to these always help stave away upgraditis

Jul 3, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #8,613 of 13,139
Who said the lcd-2 doesn't scale well with upstream gear? They continue to surprise with my recent Amp/Dac upgrade

Indeed. There was a big jump when I moved from the Maverick D1 Plus to the NFB-28. Even in single-ended, I could hear quite the improvement.

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:07 AM Post #8,616 of 13,139
  Are there any sound quality differences between the material used (bamboo, rose wood, etc.) or is it just aesthetic differences?

Open headphones = aesthetic.

Jul 4, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #8,617 of 13,139
i just picked up a pair of Audeze LCD-2.2 Pre Fazor. I must say they are quite good. a pretty good step up from the HIFIMAN HE500. I am currently using them through a Fostex HP-A4. Does anyone know if ill get a significant upgrade if i get a better amp but use my Fostex as the USB DAC? perhaps the Gustard H10? or a Tube amp? i like warm sounding with lots of bass!

Jul 4, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #8,618 of 13,139

I FINALLY finished my review of the LCD-2.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd2-planar-magnetic-headphones/reviews/16379

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #8,619 of 13,139
@PinkyPowers Really nice review. Wholeheartedly agree with the resolution on the Fazors, which keeps getting better with each upgrade, from the HRT III to II+ to the Streamer HD, and finally to the Schiit Bifrost Multibit. Each time the LCD-2s have only gotten better, and with my current setup the detail is available in spades with no smearing and like you said there is no aggression which makes it even more amazing.

I had a balanced setup with the Streamer HD to my Matrix M stage HPA3B, but I "upgraded" to the Schiit Bifrost multibit and lost my balanced outs which is kinda funny since the Bifrost sounds a lot better just single ended. I will eventually upgrade to the Gungnir multibit and have a fully balanced setup once again.

All that said, I strongly encourage anyone looking for a dac upgrade to consider the Schiit multibit solutions...just amazing, just when you thought the LCD-2 could not get more natural.

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #8,620 of 13,139
I miss the pre fazor sound so much
frown.gif

I know what you mean, but very recent iterations of the Fazor implemetation are much closer to to the pre-fazor sound, with a very welcome infusion of sparkle at the top end. I have heard both and the right Fazor should be better than a pre-fazor. I had one of the early Fazors and it was nothing like the Fazor I have now after a driver change. But then you never know with people's varying preferences so there's that

Jul 5, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #8,621 of 13,139
  @PinkyPowers Really nice review. Wholeheartedly agree with the resolution on the Fazors, which keeps getting better with each upgrade, from the HRT III to II+ to the Streamer HD, and finally to the Schiit Bifrost Multibit. Each time the LCD-2s have only gotten better, and with my current setup the detail is available in spades with no smearing and like you said there is no aggression which makes it even more amazing.

I had a balanced setup with the Streamer HD to my Matrix M stage HPA3B, but I "upgraded" to the Schiit Bifrost multibit and lost my balanced outs which is kinda funny since the Bifrost sounds a lot better just single ended. I will eventually upgrade to the Gungnir multibit and have a fully balanced setup once again.

All that said, I strongly encourage anyone looking for a dac upgrade to consider the Schiit multibit solutions...just amazing, just when you thought the LCD-2 could not get more natural.

I have a Bimby but after hearing the 4490 I wish I had gotten it instead.  The 4490 is just a touch more dynamic to me and is less digital/cold sounding, more a different signature that quality thing.

Jul 5, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #8,622 of 13,139
  I have a Bimby but after hearing the 4490 I wish I had gotten it instead.  The 4490 is just a touch more dynamic to me and is less digital/cold sounding, more a different signature that quality thing.

That is interesting, I would have assumed the opposite to be true. I am using a warmish amp though, so fortunately i'm getting none of that in my setup 

Jul 5, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #8,623 of 13,139
My new LCD 2f should arrive next Monday! Looking forward to this as what I feel will be a good compliment to my TH 600. Both are driven from speaker tap into my NAD rig so the overall system should work well. The NAD rig is a tad soft which may accentuate the slight rolled off highs of the LCD 2, but I'm hoping the new version which mine is supposed to be will indeed minimize this.

Jul 5, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #8,624 of 13,139
  My new LCD 2f should arrive next Monday! Looking forward to this as what I feel will be a good compliment to my TH 600. Both are driven from speaker tap into my NAD rig so the overall system should work well. The NAD rig is a tad soft which may accentuate the slight rolled off highs of the LCD 2, but I'm hoping the new version which mine is supposed to be will indeed minimize this.

I have both the LCD 2F and TH 600. You will enjoy both, I usually use one for different situations. 

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #8,625 of 13,139

M, the LCD-2f does not have rolled of highs, it might seem like it compared to the TH-600 since the mids on the TH-600 are a little recessed while the mids on the LCD-2f are just about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back