Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #8,431 of 13,134
  Has anyone had the chance to compare the LCD-2's to the Hifiman HE-560 and/or the Edition X?

Yes, had the Edition X for a week from a friend and have the LCD-2 fazor and the HE560. Here is my ears take on them:

I prefer he HE-560 slightly above the LCD-2 but must admit that these two are a bit similar. Yes, there is more treble in the HE560 but their bass is going a bit deeper - the LCD-2 has slightly more quantity but driven properly the 560 holds up quite well.

I have a feeling that the latest driver revisions could turn the page -  I am getting my LCD-2 updated soon and shall report back.

Also - the ifi Pro iCAN in tube mode has such a great grip on the LCD-2 I didn't want to put them down. Spectacular good sound. Which made me forget about the Edition X and enjoy the LCD-2 knowing that there is still some quality I have not yet explored.

However the Edition-X is a steppe, though I wasn't as sad when I had to return these as I was with the ifi Pro iCAN as this amp made the LCD-2 and the HE560 shine in their best light.

Cheers.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #8,432 of 13,134
However the Edition-X is a steppe, though I wasn't as sad when I had to return these as I was with the ifi Pro iCAN as this amp made the LCD-2 and the HE560 shine in their best light.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comparison! So, i assume what you mean by the Edition X is a steppe, that means it is a step above the others right? According to graphs at least, it seems like the Edition X has a sound signature that is warm and less treble heavy, which i enjoy very much. However, the LCD-2 has a similar signature, albeit with more apparent bass, but of course $800 less.

Jun 8, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #8,433 of 13,134
  Has anyone had the chance to compare the LCD-2's to the Hifiman HE-560 and/or the Edition X?

This is a hard question to answer since there are many variants of the LCD-2 and it also depends on what the rest of the audio chain used to drive the headphones.  Mine are LCD-2f and the two amps used are Ember and Lyr2.

My thoughts are similar to @Koolpep but I will add that if I were to only keep one it would be the HE-560 if I have a decent desktop system, if I didn't want to invest in a decent desktop system then the LCD-X would be my choice since its much easier to drive.  But I would take the HE-X over the LCD-X due to the HE-X being much more comfortable.

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #8,434 of 13,134
How are these for gaming and movies? I haven't heard anyone talk about them in that sense

Great for gaming. Soundstage isn't epic like it would be on an HD800 but it works for any game you throw at it. It tames harsh sounds like you get from old Half-Life multiplayer. I find overall it presents the game as it is but all sounds come in clear and explosions rock you.

For movies, eh. That has more to do with the mix maybe. I've been watching the Marvel Blurays on my Playstation 3 lately and the LCD-2 makes everything bass heavy. It sounds great with music but on movies it can sound stuffy. The treble can also be harsh, especially if you raise the PS3's volume. Thor was annoying to watch for that reason because the soundtrack is distant; you want to raise the volume a little for the dialogue but the action scenes can get too much. You can get some 3D sound effects sometimes. It presents the soundtrack as it is but I've never been impressed with movies with them. If it's late at night I'll use the LCD-2 but I prefer my inferior 5.1 set with Blurays usually.

Quote:

Looks way better than bamboo, bamboo looks "cheaper" than rosewood, shedua looks equally good and luxurious.

Bamboo looking cheaper was always a reason I appreciated my Rosewood. That Shedua looks nice though Rosewood is still my favorite for the LCD-2.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #8,435 of 13,134
How are these for gaming and movies? I haven't heard anyone talk about them in that sense

The LCD-2 does not do gaming and movies very well from my experience so far.  For gaming I've been using a SennGrado since they are easy to drive, have great positional clues and are very dynamic, I've also used my old Stax SR-34, better sound stage and clear vocals.

For movies I've been using a HD-700, great sound stage, easy to drive from HT receiver, and great dynamics, the other headphone I've used is the K7XX, better sound stage than LCD-2, clear dialog, and nice special FX sounds.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #8,436 of 13,134
  The LCD-2 does not do gaming and movies very well from my experience so far.  For gaming I've been using a SennGrado since they are easy to drive, have great positional clues and are very dynamic, I've also used my old Stax SR-34, better sound stage and clear vocals.

For movies I've been using a HD-700, great sound stage, easy to drive from HT receiver, and great dynamics, the other headphone I've used is the K7XX, better sound stage than LCD-2, clear dialog, and nice special FX sounds.

Agreed here. Games sound great on the LCD-2, but you need a wider soundstage to really have the full effect. Exact same thing goes for movies. It is unfortunate that the LCD-2 can't be an all-rounder for every source, but it really just excels at music for me, which is worth it.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #8,437 of 13,134
  Agreed here. Games sound great on the LCD-2, but you need a wider soundstage to really have the full effect. Exact same thing goes for movies. It is unfortunate that the LCD-2 can't be an all-rounder for every source, but it really just excels at music for me, which is worth it.

Agree, for music the LCD-2 is great.

Forgot to add that for gaming the LCD-2 is just too heavy for me and gets too hot after a short period, SennGrado is so light its easy to game for hours.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #8,438 of 13,134
I use the LCD-2 for music only, and my HD600 for everything else. I have no complaints.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #8,439 of 13,134
Thanks for the comparison! So, i assume what you mean by the Edition X is a steppe, that means it is a step above the others right? According to graphs at least, it seems like the Edition X has a sound signature that is warm and less treble heavy, which i enjoy very much. However, the LCD-2 has a similar signature, albeit with more apparent bass, but of course $800 less.

LOL yes exactly, damn autocorrect and it was late :wink: thanks for interpreting garble correctly.

The edition x is a step up for sure. But then again, it's a lot of money.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #8,440 of 13,134
This is a hard question to answer since there are many variants of the LCD-2 and it also depends on what the rest of the audio chain used to drive the headphones.  Mine are LCD-2f and the two amps used are Ember and Lyr2.

My thoughts are similar to @Koolpep
 but I will add that if I were to only keep one it would be the HE-560 if I have a decent desktop system, if I didn't want to invest in a decent desktop system then the LCD-X would be my choice since its much easier to drive.  But I would take the HE-X over the LCD-X due to the HE-X being much more comfortable.

I am 100% with you on this!

Cheers!!

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #8,441 of 13,134
Like the previous posters, I also don't use the LCD-2 for gaming. Prefer, T90, HD650 or K7XX for that due to the spatial information you get. By the way, best so far I scored when using a friends T1 - the accuracy of the soundstage was the best I have ever heard.

Cheers.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #8,444 of 13,134
Senngrado is some sort of mod on Grado headphobes? Can it be purchased from somewhere?

Go to the SennGrado thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/738035/senngrado-thread
or this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/793136/grado-modders-go-ypsilon-elleven-acoustica-drivers-and-builds-thread
You would normally build them but some on those two thread will build them for you.

These are like the RS / GS series Grado but with different drivers, they are much cheaper than true Grado's but to me and many others they sound better than a lot of more expensive headphones.

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #8,445 of 13,134
I took some pics of the shedua lcd2 before leaving the house today. Its hard to capture in pics because the color is a bit different. Its somewhere in between maple and mahogany as far as how light dark it is. But the color is actually fairly muted. Warm toned with a hint of gray. Its nice but i like the rosewood more. However the shedua was available for audeze's black friday sale last year so thats waht i go :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back