Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #8,012 of 13,140
Just out of curiosity, what would be a good dac amp combo at around $500? I was thinking the stealth dc-1, o2odac, what else????

A used Chord MOJO if $500 is your absolute limit
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #8,013 of 13,140
Mojo, full stop.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #8,014 of 13,140
Yes. It has a bit more impact and slam. Has your PM-2 gotten the PM-1 pad upgrade? It helps with the bass in particular. At least on mine.

Cheers

Yes, but I still find it mediocre. I'm an EDM fan and used to high-end club systems which have amazing bass. I like TH900's bass for instance, but its treble response is a bit rough. If its treble was smoother, it would be the perfect headphone. That's what I hope TH-610 will be.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #8,015 of 13,140
Just out of curiosity, what would be a good dac amp combo at around $500? I was thinking the stealth dc-1, o2odac, what else????

My personal recommendation:

Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon (was $499, if you can find one)  & Schiit Modi ($99)

Gustard H10 (around $300-350) and Schiit Modi ($99)

Alternatively: Schiit Lyr2 ($449) and the Modi

And of course the glorious: ifi iDSD micro - makes the LCD-2 sing.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #8,016 of 13,140

Yes, but I still find it mediocre. I'm an EDM fan and used to high-end club systems which have amazing bass. I like TH900's bass for instance, but its treble response is a bit rough. If its treble was smoother, it would be the perfect headphone. That's what I hope TH-610 will be.

I know a person just like you - @Jozurr always searching for the Funktion One sound :wink:

I think he found preliminary bass nirvana in the HE-6 with Parasound Monoblock amps. Am sure he can share his journey with you - he seems to have the same goal as you.

cheers!

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #8,017 of 13,140

I really like the TH-900 as well. Its bass is incredible. Either you wait a bit - with age your treble hearing will go down HAHA.

The TH-610... hmmmmm you got me interested. I find the PM-2 quite nice with the Liquid Carbon, really great synergy when driven balanced. But it's not bass head level. Maybe that's the reason why I am currently on IEMs - ASG 2.5, Harmony and 1Plus, RHA T20, and even unpacked my Denon AH-D7100 again. They are no TH-900 but closer than others.

Cheers!

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #8,018 of 13,140
Rather than either, have you tried STAX? I listened to the ether right next to the ether electrostatic at can jam recently and clearly preferred the electrostatic. Interestingly, so did the Mr. Speakers staff. The STAX 2170 System is $500 on Price Japan. It requires a wall wart to convert to 120 V for use in the US The 207 phones are less bright than other Lamdas with the exception of the new L700. The amp is a bargain for its performance.

I also have the LCD 2F December 2015 post silent revision version, it use it for rock and jazz. I use the electrostatic headphones for classical, small ensemble jazz, and some vocals. The Ether is voiced for detail. . It is very telling that both Hifiman and Mr. Speakers are going electrostatic, because there's a limit what you can accomplish in terms of detail and speed with magnets. LCD4 is trying, but at that price vs a STAX L700 with a KGST amp is a hard sell. You can get the amp and headphone for the price of the LCD4.

That said, I totally agree with a previous poster, that Audeze makes headphones that sound more like speakers in terms of tone and fullness and meat on the bones than any other headphone. In addition I agree with a previous poster, or perhaps many, that the LCD 2F is the sweet spot in the Audeze line for price/performance.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #8,022 of 13,140

Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon (was $499, if you can find one)  & Schiit Modi ($99)

Yes I sometimes wonder about cavalli  . The carbon was made for a very brief time . I imagine it would have sold well for awhile considering the price .

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #8,023 of 13,140
  Trying to decide between getting a mojo and a burson soloist mkII. I'm currently using a schitt M&M2U stack. Thoughts?

I never heard the original . The new one looks to be pretty impressive . I still am lumbering on with a ha 160 though I do not use it much these days . I am love in with my vintage circa late 70s receiver . It is a honey for headphone driving .

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #8,024 of 13,140

EQ is your friend. I turn my 2.2s to almost basshead levels.

The thx00 have great bass without the treble. Again, your gonna need to elevate the 25-50 Hz region to bring out the true potential. You can raise it pretty high before distorting. The Th series are basshead level cans if you know how to use eq.

What I'm saying is instead of going out and finding another set, try to eq your set to your liking

You can add

Project ember

Project Polaris

W/ the modi

Apr 3, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #8,025 of 13,140
Damn the ifi idsd micro really looks good! I'm currently running a musci streamer II+ with a Burson Soloist SL but i think i will be adding the idsd to my setup. The price to performance ratio seems very attractive. Will this be a good purchase?can someone please compare it to the mojo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back