Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #6,796 of 13,132

I'm using stock tubes at the moment, I just find the sound to be way to sharp, like the treble hurts my ears.
I'll have a look at the tube rolling thread and see what information I can gather.

There's a huge improvement in sound quality once you swap out the stock tubes but never had it hurt my ears.

Also make sure you have it switched to low gain on the back.

Nov 13, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #6,798 of 13,132
I'm using the original Lyr so there's no gain switch. Any tubes you'd recommend for a start? 

Ah missed that.
As for tubes it depends on taste.
Personally I love the miniwatt sound. Sweet and detailed.

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #6,799 of 13,132
Nov 13, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #6,800 of 13,132
The sound overall is pretty much perfect it's just at higher volumes I find that it hurt my ears (duh), like it becomes too bright. Anything that'll take the edge off, give a more thicker/warmer sound I'll give it a try, never really used an eq so I'll have to look for some guides.
I definitely agree that low quality mp3s are an issue, even spotify premium on some tracks just sounds terrible imo. I have quite a bit flac music so it's not all bad but even then some albums just sound harsh to my ears.
Compared to my fidelio x2s which I didn't have any issues with anything I threw at it (grindcore, doom metal, classical, rock etc...).
Maybe they're just not made for my ears, I'd rather try to rectify the issue than give in.

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #6,801 of 13,132
The sound overall is pretty much perfect it's just at higher volumes I find that it hurt my ears (duh), like it becomes too bright. Anything that'll take the edge off, give a more thicker/warmer sound I'll give it a try, never really used an eq so I'll have to look for some guides.
I definitely agree that low quality mp3s are an issue, even spotify premium on some tracks just sounds terrible imo. I have quite a bit flac music so it's not all bad but even then some albums just sound harsh to my ears.
Compared to my fidelio x2s which I didn't have any issues with anything I threw at it (grindcore, doom metal, classical, rock etc...).
Maybe they're just not made for my ears, I'd rather try to rectify the issue than give in.
Foobar has an eq. That actually works quite well.

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #6,807 of 13,132
  What amplifier are you using?

Cambridge CXA80 stereo amp. The left diaphragm seems deformed, like in the picture LancerFIN posted here earlier.
I can also hear the 'rattles' he mentioned, same happened two times before,i thought the sound might come from the leather pads
but now i think its the deformed diaphragm. Audeze support mentioned they now have 'new design' of the driver, whatever that means.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #6,808 of 13,132
  Cambridge CXA80 stereo amp. The left diaphragm seems deformed, like in the picture LancerFIN posted here earlier.
I can also hear the 'rattles' he mentioned, same happened two times before,i thought the sound might come from the leather pads
but now i think its the deformed diaphragm. Audeze support mentioned they now have 'new design' of the driver, whatever that means.

The original 2F drivers had awful reliability. I think after the CEO left they did a re-design. After my left driver failed they told me the same thing. Hoping that I never have an issue again.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #6,809 of 13,132
  The original 2F drivers had awful reliability. I think after the CEO left they did a re-design. After my left driver failed they told me the same thing. Hoping that I never have an issue again.

My current pair was produced in May 2015, did the re-design happen after that? When did you get yours repaired? Not getting my hopes up yet. Good luck with yours.

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #6,810 of 13,132

My current pair was produced in May 2015, did the re-design happen after that? When did you get yours repaired? Not getting my hopes up yet. Good luck with yours.

Well crap, mine failed May 1st and I got them back at the end of may. Soooo yeah, maybe my hopes are just unfounded. Really, really wish Audeze reliability was better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back