Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #6,826 of 13,139
I have tired 100 dollar amps up to 1000+ dollars. The difference is way to small. I dont believe in the statement that amps will drastically change the headphone.

A headphone will retain at least 95% of its sound signature and potential regardless of amp (of course I mean at least a decent one that can power it). A 100 dollar amp takes ithe potential of the headphone maybe up to maybe 97% and thats fine and dandy.

I just want to enjoy the music, not care about the other 2-3% difference.

Thats why I dont believe the saying that like "this headphone is very bad without this amp" or "with this amp, the headphones will drastically change the sound". If that's the case then it's a faulty design and shouldn't be sold to consumers.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #6,827 of 13,139
I have tired 100 dollar amps up to 1000+ dollars. The difference is way to small. I dont believe in the statement that amps will drastically change the headphone.

A headphone will retain at least 95% of its sound signature and potential regardless of amp (of course I mean at least a decent one that can power it). A 100 dollar amp takes ithe potential of the headphone maybe up to maybe 97% and thats fine and dandy.

I just want to enjoy the music, not care about the other 2-3% difference.

Thats why I dont believe the saying that like "this headphone is very bad without this amp" or "with this amp, the headphones will drastically change the sound". If that's the case then it's a faulty design and shouldn't be sold to consumers.

I owned the HD650 and loved them as well. I thought I'd keep them forever except I had the chance to get an LCD2 rev 1 for an incredible price. I couldn't refuse. Well they made my HD650 redundant. Not that I wouldn't have wanted to keep them but to my ears the LCD2 were a clear step up.

the 650s are incredibly good, but after hearing the superior transients produced by the LCD2, it's deep extension both high and low, I couldn't really go back. Also, regarding soundstage I find they do a good job and don't present an exaggerated separation. Headphones can't do stereo field reproduction properly anyhow unless you are listening to binaural recordings. In addition to music, I tested the LCD2 out extensively with binaural nature recordings and the LCD2 was more realistic but could have used a bit more top end equalization. The 650 is also amazing for binaural and has a bit more air to them than the lcd2.

The 650 is more comfortable (unless it's headband clamps too hard but it can be gently bent) and lighter. The best way is to take the plunge and listen to them both :) it's worth it in the long run.

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #6,829 of 13,139
I think you have to request the chart these days; mine didn't come with one. Also, although I bought mine a month ago, and they were out of stock when I ordered, I found out today that mine were manufactured in March or April.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #6,830 of 13,139
The HD650 is a better headphone than the LCD-2 in most every way minus extension on the bass. I love the pre fazor but with a good amp the HD650 leaves it behind IMO. It's darker than the 650.

Not at all my experience.
I compared  them. The DAC was a Weiss DAC202 and the amp was a Bryston BHA-1.
The LCD2 was way better in every department except comfort.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #6,831 of 13,139
The LCD-2's mids are more distant, less focused. The soundstage is more closed in. It's upper mids are more recessed. The bass is great! Love it's bass but apart from that I didn't see the fuss. The fazor models are atrocious but pre fazor was the best sound they had going.

I guess it's preference but I think the HD650 is the better headphone. Problem is a lot of people run the HD650 from rubbish amps like the 02 etc, on good OTL/Hybrids or better amps they really rise.

Nov 17, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #6,832 of 13,139
Between my LCD-2f and HD-650 they each do better with different types of music that I listen to
Female vocals - HD-650
Rock / Classic rock - LCD-2
Jazz / Pop / EDM - LCD-2
Kpop / Jpop / new age - HD-650
Classical - depends on recording
Lyr2 for LCD-2, Telefunken CCa's, 74 Reflectors, or Siemens Lorenz's
BH Crack for HD-650, Telefunken, Amperex, or Mullard driver tube, TS 5998 or Chathem power tube

They each have their good and bad points, why I keep both and many other headphones
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #6,833 of 13,139
My LCD2.2 non fazor should arrive today from a member here.  I also have a pair of HD650's and my stack is an Uberfrost/Lyr2 with Amperex 6922s in it currently.  I listen to a LOT of female vocal stuff so I'm interested to compare the two.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #6,834 of 13,139
I dont know why people seem to want to steer clear of the fazors because i've had one for about two weeks now, and besides the bass not being as impactful as the earlier revisions, its a pretty awesome headphone. Silky smooth and definitely not bright, the fazors are still darker than neutral for certain. And obviously the soundstage is very coherent...not ridiculously large but decently sized and very well presented. In conclusion the fazors are a better headphone, unless of course you'd prefer a syrupy sound and more bass...mind you the fazors aren't that lacking in these departments

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #6,835 of 13,139
The Fazor are complete junk. When they arrived at our store we where laughing at the mess up Audeze has done. It's dry, grainy and lacks body. The previous was a bit dry but was a lot smoother. If they kept the pre fazor I'd still own one!

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #6,836 of 13,139
The Fazor are complete junk. When they arrived at our store we where laughing at the mess up Audeze has done. It's dry, grainy and lacks body. The previous was a bit dry but was a lot smoother. If they kept the pre fazor I'd still own one!

What do you mean? I have the 2F and i like it so far. I mean the difference can´t be that big. Probably they didnt enjoy the signature at all.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #6,837 of 13,139
The pre fazor model had a more refined, more natural sound. It was a bit recessed in the upper mids but it really had it's own thing going on. The fazors made the LCD-2 more dry, it sounds unnatural, it's response is poor. It doesn't flow, it just sounds bad. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #6,838 of 13,139
  The pre fazor model had a more refined, more natural sound. It was a bit recessed in the upper mids but it really had it's own thing going on. The fazors made the LCD-2 more dry, it sounds unnatural, it's response is poor. It doesn't flow, it just sounds bad. 

You certainly do like stating your opinion as if it were some universal truth.....
blink.gif

You don't like it - that's great.  Many owners are very happy with the Fazor.   Given that this is an LCD thread and not a 650 thread, perhaps it's time to move on.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #6,839 of 13,139
You certainly do like stating your opinion as if it were some universal truth.....:blink:

You don't like it - that's great.  Many owners are very happy with the Fazor.   Given that this is an LCD thread and not a 650 thread, perhaps it's time to move on.
Yes, no sense bashing a product who it's obvious many people enjoy. He's already selling his brand new hd650's. Read his posts he's ranting in numerous threads.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #6,840 of 13,139

Glad to see someone who has the same opinion.
Well I wouldn't say fazer sounds bad but for me there is something missing in the low end and the upper frequencies are less natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back