Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5,808 of 13,140
  Ours look fairly similar, biggest difference I see is my pairs' bass rolls off significantly more than yours. Do you by chance have the leather pads?

I wouldn't worry about anything below 30 Hz.

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #5,810 of 13,140
Mar 6, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #5,812 of 13,140

It's something I debated ad nauseum with a few guys after the Fazor was implemented.

Also, did you get my PM about filters? I think it never went through, I'll post the info publicly here tomorrow regardless. Lmk.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #5,813 of 13,140
Just received my Audeze LCD-2f yesterday "wow". After few hours of getting use to them I am absolutely over the moon.

These are truly in a different league from anything I have experience from before, the sound and build are outstanding very
happy..

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #5,814 of 13,140
@WilCox, @hodgjy, @madwolfa, yes it sounds wonderful!

I wanted to know how peers would interpret this graph. Part tutelage and part assurance.

My understanding is that this pair of LCD-2 is natural sounding with a touch of warmth.

Sub-bass rolls off gently. Bass and midrange are slightly high to compensate lack of punch compared to speakers for a natural sound.

Midrange is smooth with a gentle slop between 800Hz to 2KHz. Dip between 2KHz to 4KHz and bump on 5KHz indicates minor distant high-mid, okay presence hence okay imaging.

Peak on 10KHz may indicate less refined highs.

Am I correct with my evaluation? Please do not hesitate to correct me, I love to learn.

I've attached the graph below in hopes of more input.

@scizzro, yes it is fitted with bamboo ear cups with leather ear pads and headband.

Quote:
  Folks, how would you read this graph?

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #5,815 of 13,140
My LCD-2s are pre-fazor and have rosewood ear cups, and for the most part I absolutely love them.  I listen to them through a full compliment of iFi gear, including the iDSD and iTube.  I mention those two specifically because the one issue I still have, even after upgrading the cable to a Norne Audio Draug v2, and listening to DSD tracks, is in the treble.  I hear a lack of fullness, or authenticity, to the cymbals at times in a jazz combo for example.  It has been the same when I used other associated gear, and as I've followed the upgrade path to what I now consider to be a very good front end, it's still there.  This pretty much falls in line with what others have said about the LCD-2...they're great in almost every way, but if you want a truer representation of your music, look towards the LCD-3.  That's my plan now, as that last little elusive bit is what we're all looking for, right?

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #5,816 of 13,140
Just received my Audeze LCD-2f yesterday "wow". After few hours of getting use to them I am absolutely over the moon.

These are truly in a different league from anything I have experience from before, the sound and build are outstanding very
happy..

I couldn't agree more! I also received mine today and I must say I prefer them before the LCD XC that I owned before these. For me the biggest difference lie in open vs closed. The XC sounded good, but closed is closed and open will always be open :blush:.

I have no experience from previous LCD 2's but I must say I really like that these sound pretty neutral.

Something I also have noticed is that I seem to be able to play louder volumes without getting fatigued. The limit now is the volume per se and not annoyingly sharp highs or whatnot.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #5,817 of 13,140
I couldn't agree more! I also received mine today and I must say I prefer them before the LCD XC that I owned before these. For me the biggest difference lie in open vs closed. The XC sounded good, but closed is closed and open will always be open :blush:.

I have no experience from previous LCD 2's but I must say I really like that these sound pretty neutral.

Something I also have noticed is that I seem to be able to play louder volumes without getting fatigued. The limit now is the volume per se and not annoyingly sharp highs or whatnot.

Agreed...the treble issue I mentioned earlier is not a harshness, just not quite a perfect reproduction of those frequencies.  These are very pleasing headphones in nearly every respect.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #5,818 of 13,140
Hi all,

I am thinking about changing my amplifier. I have a beyerdynamic a1 and the reason I am thinking about changing it out is its low power output. Should I stay with this amplifier or go to a higher powered one? I am thinking about the Lyr 2 if so.

Any advice and help is appreciated!

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #5,819 of 13,140
As far as treble goes, in mine I found an overemphasis at 12.5 kHz and a dip at 10 kHz. You might try playing around those bands with an EQ if you're not satisfied with cymbals, but the solution will depend greatly on one's ears and headphones.
Hi all,

I am thinking about changing my amplifier. I have a beyerdynamic a1 and the reason I am thinking about changing it out is its low power output. Should I stay with this amplifier or go to a higher powered one? I am thinking about the Lyr 2 if so.

Any advice and help is appreciated!

If it gets plenty loud enough as is and you're not hearing any clipping (lots of distortion on loud sounds) then you're fine with the A1. If a more powerful amp will give you peace of mind, go for it. Schiit has a good product line. Personally I would go for the Magni over the Lyr, it's cheaper.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #5,820 of 13,140
If it gets plenty loud enough as is and you're not hearing any clipping (lots of distortion on loud sounds) then you're fine with the A1. If a more powerful amp will give you peace of mind, go for it. Schiit has a good product line. Personally I would go for the Magni over the Lyr, it's cheaper.

Thanks for your input. I actually don't know if it's clipping or not. It doesn't sound off, the only thing is I have the volume at 12 o'clock to get it to my normal listening volume. I suppose if I knew the input sensitivity on the amp and output voltage of the DAC I could figure out when it's producing its full power output. Audeze recommends 1-4 watts so that's why I'm thinking of making the switch. The a1 is rated to put out around 150-200 mW I believe. It was also designed with the t1 in mind which is a 600 ohm headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back