Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #2,476 of 13,139
i heard the LCD2 in a "showroom" and didnt like it for more than a year from that impression...
after reading all these postings, i decided to take a risk n bought one from the resale mkt,
the LCD2 is now one of my top favorites, everytime i put it on i am all smiles.
Maybe my home setup just complimented this can in a certain way.

Often times we comment about cans as if it is the only component in the soundchain,
and tried to pit one can against another, i just treat such postings as perculiar to that listener..
hd800 has been tossed betw both like/dislike ends for a long time, i owned it twice,
might snag it again..lolz.

What are you using to power the lcd 2, AudioGd NFB10.32 ??

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #2,477 of 13,139
NFB10.32 has a slightly warm clear energetic hint to the sound.. with a big tall soundstage.
thats my first impression of this amp when i switched from a Nuforce HDP.

And i can hook my tube amps to it for some colooooooooor ...sweeet sweeet sweeeeet

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,478 of 13,139
I'm really concidering buying these headphones but i have seen that some wood cups has cracked, is this still an issue?
I live in Sweden and I don't really wanna send 1000$ cans that distance if they break.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #2,480 of 13,139
I'm really concidering buying these headphones but i have seen that some wood cups has cracked, is this still an issue?

I live in Sweden and I don't really wanna send 1000$ cans that distance if they break.

I've heard that with rev 1 sometime the cup was cracking where the connector to the cup is located but since rev2 it's in metal

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #2,482 of 13,139
  I would definitely only get the LCDs if you can test them beforehand. 

Actually brings up an interesting point: Did anyone here buy them without listening first?

If so, did you find the general consensus opinions to be correct?

I purchased all of my headphones without listening to them first and have found the overall community fairly close on how they should sound on certain equipment. The thing I have noticed is that the differences in HP tend to become exaggerated since there doesn't seem to be a big difference to begin with ($150 and beyond range). Everyone keeps saying on how dark the LCD-2s sound, yes they are dark but not THAT dark. I found the HE-400s waay darker. The same goes to the HD 650s. They sounded dark, at first, but then they sounded natural.I was expecting a dark signature to sound like a $40 BOOM HP but that wasn't the case.

I bought the LCD-2s after experiencing HE-400 bass and HD 650 midrange. I was going to move up to the HE-500s but they were described as having less bass than their younger sibling. In regards to bass, I bought the  Q701s in order to understand what accurate yet low quantity bass sounded like and after reading reviews on the HE-500s I came to the conclusion that they weren't going to have the bass impact or presence I was looking for.

The LCD-2s have slightly less bass impact (EQ correctable) than the HE-400s and their midrange is exactly what I wanted it to be. 

I would say that yes, the general consensus was mostly correct but only after I established reference points with the help of my other popular headphones. 

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #2,483 of 13,139

I think they've mostly solved the problems, but if you have any doubts, order the bamboo composite (or the LCD-X with machined aluminum rings
evil_smiley.gif
).

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #2,484 of 13,139
  I purchased all of my headphones without listening to them first and have found the overall community fairly close on how they should sound on certain equipment. The thing I have noticed is that the differences in HP tend to become exaggerated since there doesn't seem to be a big difference to begin with ($150 and beyond range). 

Agreed. We must be careful about the advice we take. I find it's really good if you know a head-fier who is well known, who has similar ears and opinions to you, and simply asking what they think.

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2,485 of 13,139

They'll fix them for you if they break. There is a slight risk, but there are no shortcuts to the perfect sound.

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,487 of 13,139
If anyone has listened to various versions of the LCD-2,  Is there a big improvement in the treble in the latest version/Is the treble bright/sparkly now ? Has the low end lost some of its depth/impact compared to the first version ?

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #2,488 of 13,139
There was never a problem in the treble or bass with any of the LCD2 revisions.  I still have the original R1...and on fresh ears, they can get a tad lean for me.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #2,489 of 13,139
For any readers that have HE-400 and are thinking about LCD-2; the LCD-2 has advantages that I now cannot live without, and I think it still comes at a great price for how much enjoyment I get from them. 

The main thing really is the tonality and naturalness -- the LCD-2 sounds soooo realistic (the treble sounds very natural and detailed, it's just a little dark. nothing a little EQ cant fix). It's really important for listening to music, especially for vocals and natural instruments. And from this naturalness, along with the strange but awesome 'liquid' Audeze house sound, makes the LCD2 sound absolutely GORGEOUS. as well as transparent. But yeah, this kind of natural sound signature, I truly would die if I didn't have. it's that important to me now. 

While the 400 is high wow factor, zippy, engaging (way more engaging than HD650, for me), it just doesn't take my breath away like the LCD. 

Also, I use Fiio e17/ e9 combo, and it sounds incredible to me. I went to a hifi store to try out different DACs and amps. while I heard a difference with more expensive gear, it was really quite minor. I'm fairly new to the high end audio scene so my ears are not as trained as some of these other goofballs on here, so I might get some flak. Buuuut if you are new and on a budget, and wanna get a lot of sound out of a cheap-ish setup, I'd totally recommend LCD2 and e9. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,490 of 13,139
  For any readers that have HE-400 and are thinking about LCD-2...

Yep, I'm holding out for the HFM HE-400i reviews maybe around April. It was 400i and/or LCD-2 I'd been reading up on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back