Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #2,461 of 13,140
I already own the RS1i and the MAD.....killer combo to say the least.....was looking for something on the other end of the spectrum....dark...but detailed.

I would not say relaxing is what I want.....I may look else where.

HD600's/650's or the Mad Dogs are your other choices with a more neutral darker sig but retaining detail retrieval, otherwise there is no other dark/detailed sounding headphone that isn't relaxing and laid back at the sametime unless you focus on making the sound dark through tube amplification on purpose.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #2,462 of 13,140

I hear it too, mate. It's all subjective though, I guess.

It's all good mate.  Everyone is valid to an opinion and everyone hears differently. 
smile.gif

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #2,463 of 13,140
I could save a lot of money grabbing some Senn HD650.......or just snag a PS500, already have a MAD Ear for those......decisions, decisions.

I was really hoping I might enjoy the LCD....but not so sure now.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #2,464 of 13,140
guys I am new here, and I was at a store listening to Sennheiser Hd 800,700,650,600

it was powered by a headphone amp.

Before I put them on I thought now I will hear a new revelation in sound, and I was so disappointed as I felt when listening to a song by depeche mode black celebration I heard no bass, and I felt my cheaper audio technica m50 gave me a much better sound than all those HDs, I found lack of bass, and irritating highs and treble as if it was hurting my ears. So no thanks I will not pay over 1000 USD for such headphones, 

Now I am asking here what will I experience with the LCD2, unfortunately there are no stores to audition the lcd so I have to keep asking people who own them.

The reason I chose that song by depeche mode, is because its the type of music i listen to, and its ripped in wav file so no compression at all. Now I will not take a brilliantly recorded song to try the lcd2 as I want to see how it can handle this song specifically as I want to experience this song in its best way. Can someone here listen to that song specifically and tell me their experience, is it an awesome one or not.

So please don't critique me for being new here and asking such a question.

Do you think I will benefit from the audeze lcd2 or shall I stay in the cheaper headphone territory because the lcd2 will not make wonders for me that I look for.

Also if buying the lcd2 which portable amp can drive it, i hope it will be a cheap one as I play my songs using the fiio x3 so I know i need an amp for the lcd2 if I buy it but it has to be portable

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #2,465 of 13,140
Get some hifiman he 400's (400i when released) or mad dogs and you'll save some money !
If you want to improve a little more the sound in details retrieval and instruments separation then lcd2's but it gets way more expensive

For Depeche mode I would give the mad dogs a try

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #2,466 of 13,140
I would definitely only get the LCDs if you can test them beforehand. 

Actually brings up an interesting point: Did anyone here buy them without listening first?

If so, did you find the general consensus opinions to be correct?

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #2,467 of 13,140
I did,
it's hard around here to find a shop selling the audeze

I choose the lcd2's after reading headfi's members opinions and tests on how lcd2's sound and the general consensus was indeed on average correct
The only thing I've noticed is the fact that you have to accept paying 300 % more for 30 % improvement (at least with over 400 $ cans)

I really enjoy listening to my lcd2's

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,469 of 13,140
Get some hifiman he 400's (400i when released) or mad dogs and you'll save some money !
If you want to improve a little more the sound in details retrieval and instruments separation then lcd2's but it gets way more expensive

For Depeche mode I would give the mad dogs a try

when is he400i going to be released, and so you think He400 will be a good choice, does it have deep bass and portable amp can I use, I bought the ifi ican nano will it be enough for the HE400

as for mad dogs does have a more bass sound than alpha dogs 

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,471 of 13,140
i heard the LCD2 in a "showroom" and didnt like it for more than a year from that impression...
after reading all these postings, i decided to take a risk n bought one from the resale mkt,
the LCD2 is now one of my top favorites, everytime i put it on i am all smiles.
Maybe my home setup just complimented this can in a certain way.

Often times we comment about cans as if it is the only component in the soundchain,
and tried to pit one can against another, i just treat such postings as perculiar to that listener..
hd800 has been tossed betw both like/dislike ends for a long time, i owned it twice,
might snag it again..lolz.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,472 of 13,140
  I could save a lot of money grabbing some Senn HD650.......or just snag a PS500, already have a MAD Ear for those......decisions, decisions.

I was really hoping I might enjoy the LCD....but not so sure now.

Thanks for your help.

Given the headphones you already have I'd sure give a PS500 a listen if I were you. Similar (a bit) to a HD650 but still with a bit of that Grado magic.

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #2,473 of 13,140

Given the headphones you already have I'd sure give a PS500 a listen if I were you. Similar (a bit) to a HD650 but still with a bit of that Grado magic.

agree

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2,474 of 13,140
  I would definitely only get the LCDs if you can test them beforehand. 

Actually brings up an interesting point: Did anyone here buy them without listening first?

If so, did you find the general consensus opinions to be correct?

I just (this week) found a local store that has some available for audition. I need to make it down there soon for a good listen. I heard some before but it was at a meet on somebody else' s equipment and their music. I'd like to listen to my own music in a quiet evironment where I can really hear them.

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,475 of 13,140
when is he400i going to be released, and so you think He400 will be a good choice, does it have deep bass and portable amp can I use, I bought the ifi ican nano will it be enough for the HE400

as for mad dogs does have a more bass sound than alpha dogs 

Yes He 400's have deep bass for opened cans, less than ultrasone pro 900's or m50's, but orthodynamic bass :D
People on head fi are satisfied on matching with portable amp like fiio's E17 or O2 jds lab.
Mad dogs 3.2 have deep bass, never heard alpha dogs

Sorry I don't know how ican nano handles the hifiman either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back