Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #106 of 13,139

Quote:
I'd be interested in this perspective too.  I'm on the list for an eventual set of LCD-2's, and a long-time Maggie owner.  I invested a lot of time and money to get the most out of the Maggies, bi-amping them, getting rid of the factory cross-over w. a Marchand electronic X/O, and rewiring them with Vampire wire, and adding a set of Audiokinesis Swarm subs (4 subs).  Now my man-cave delivers music that is visceral and exciting and amazingly detailed compared to what stock Maggies deliver.  I'm not much of a headphone guy, generally.  Mostly early-morning/late night, to keep from waking the rest of the family.  And of course I have 'phones on while working during the day on the computer.  But I'm hoping the Audez'e's will deliver some of that Maggie-like magic!

I have a feeling the LCD-2's (with the right source/amp) would convert you to a headphone guy!  Or at the very least forcing that headphone rig to get quite a bit more listening time. :)    But I agree an amazing speaker rig is a different experience than headphones, I love both.  

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #107 of 13,139

Quote:
I'd be interested in this perspective too.  I'm on the list for an eventual set of LCD-2's, and a long-time Maggie owner.  I invested a lot of time and money to get the most out of the Maggies, bi-amping them, getting rid of the factory cross-over w. a Marchand electronic X/O, and rewiring them with Vampire wire, and adding a set of Audiokinesis Swarm subs (4 subs).  Now my man-cave delivers music that is visceral and exciting and amazingly detailed compared to what stock Maggies deliver.  I'm not much of a headphone guy, generally.  Mostly early-morning/late night, to keep from waking the rest of the family.  And of course I have 'phones on while working during the day on the computer.  But I'm hoping the Audez'e's will deliver some of that Maggie-like magic!

I really hope so too. I can't wait for the day i'll get them
smile_phones.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #108 of 13,139
You'll have to await my answer. I have them in for review for www.theaudiobeat.com. So keep your eyes peeled - though it'll be a month or two.

Quote:
John have your heard the LCD2 and your opinion is appreciated as I have one on order. I am a Maggie guy myself.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #110 of 13,139

Quote:

Buddie, What is Maggie ? :p

Sep 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #112 of 13,139
Depends on what you think is fun, but I sure enjoy how they just bring me into the music. They measure flat between 20hz-1khz, but to me what stands out in that flatness is the presence of very deep bass also at lower listening levels.

Quote:
Are these FUN cans or FLAT/NEUTRAL/ANALYTICAL ?

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #113 of 13,139

Quote:
Depends on what you think is fun, but I sure enjoy how they just bring me into the music. They measure flat between 20hz-1khz, but to me what stands out in that flatness is the presence of very deep bass also at lower listening levels.

Agreed.  While I've heard differences depending on the rig, I've never felt these sound coldly analytical.  They're pretty precise, but there's a lot of depth to the sound that keeps it from sounding flat.  At least through the setups I've listened to.  If you want to listen to when the English horn starts a counter-melody in a concert recording, you easily can...but you can also lean back and enjoy the music from a non-critical listening perspective too.

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #114 of 13,139
Day two with my LCD-2s and I feel like the kid in the candy store for the first time in Hi-fi headphones. Like another member posted in the other thread, I'm revisiting all my music again with these cans. With my limited experience in this field in mind here are some of my thoughts on the LCD-2:

While listening to some track by REO Speedwagon for a moment I swore I was listening to Hi-fi stereo speakers.

One of the things that enters my head each time I listen to a track is how it seems like the phones reveal the music for what it is, well recorded music sounds magnificent and poorly recorded music just doesn't have that certain presentation to it. Not to say that poorly recorded music sounds worse with these but that the phones recreate the music almost succinctly. Now that I think about it, that is the downside to these phones for me (and probably others as well), If I listen to a well recorded track and then immediately listen to a poorly recorded track that I happen to love I get let down because it doesn't have that certain magic to it.

Even if it weren't for the distraction that the phones deliver to my ears, the LCD-2s fit so well that they actually feel good on my head.

Even 128 bitrate tracks that are well recorded still deliver those sounds that make my feet tap so I'll probably convert all of my lossless to 320 VBR at the most to save space on my ipod until I get a DAC.

At this moment I feel that this is probably the last headphone I will buy
eek.gif
 and will most likely sell my HD 650s... The things the 650s do well the LCD-2 just does better imo.

Anyway, congratulations Audez'e for creating such an amazing headphone! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #116 of 13,139
Quote:
How it compare with hd800?
Orginal cable good enough?

If you're replying to my post above, I guess you meant how does it compare to the HD 650. I've only ever had the 650 with the SAA Equinox cable which supposedly corrects certain deficiencies the OEM cable has so with that in mind:

The immediate difference I noticed was the increase in clarity or superior resolution (in my own words). The soundstage also seems to be more properly arranged, maybe a little larger. And with that details that were muddled previously are now out in their own and can be properly distinguished. Vocals sound more lifelike (which was what I loved the 650s for) and as noted previously by others percussion instruments sound like they should.

Honestly, it's a whole new experience and it's like listening to familiar music again for the first time.

As far as is the original cable good enough? I would imagine it is as I am loving it right now. Yet I am waiting on the new cable from ALO and will definitely leave my impressions here when I've properly heard it.

Sep 4, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #117 of 13,139

Quote:

Hmm. more fun than Denon D2000 and beyers dt150 ? that kinda fun i am takin about. toe tapping engaging fun sounding cans ! Are these ?

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #118 of 13,139
They are not the most engaging headphones on the planet. Not the one that easiest get my toe tapping going either... More of a slow heavy groove and relax and enjoy for me.

But they are never booring to listen to music to all but.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #119 of 13,139

Quote:
Magnepan planar speakers?  At least that's what I assumed...heh.

Yes, sorry.  Magneplanar speakers.  A different sub-culture of audophile-dom, I guess.  Same principles of moving air applied to a larger frame.  A kissing cousin, then of the Audez'e 'phones.

So just as you have dynamic speakers using (mostly) voice coils, and electrostats using thin membranes coated by conductive material which are moved by electrical charges in grids on either side of them, you also have planar magnetic speakers where conductors are laminated on mylar and are attracted/repelled from poles on either side when current is applied through the conductor.  Same principle of converting electrical current to mechanical/physical motion, just different mechanisms to accomplish the task with different trade-offs based on how they are executed.  Magneplanar speakers do some things exceedingly well. 

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #120 of 13,139
What's the difference between Magnepan and Martin Logan?  They're both flat panels.

I see. Martin Logans are overpriced electrostats, and Magnepan is the reasonably priced planar...I need to audition some Magnepans...where to in Sydney Australia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back