Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #9,121 of 13,132
  I hope i won't be opening a can of worms, being a new member and all that, but...

What are your thoughts on cable upgrade for a LCD2.2 ?

At this moment i am using them with 2 DACs (micro IDAC2 and FIIO X7) -> WA6 SE upgraded with 6EM7 and Sophia.

Asking mainly because i've seen forum member mentioning the forza audioworks cable and after visiting their website i am a bit (more) tempted by their Noir HPC MK2, but at 200euros for 2m is not cheap...

I have a cable that came with the LCD-4, it works great with the 2.  Can't say there is much difference in sound, but the cable is higher quality.

Sep 27, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #9,123 of 13,132
Look at c3audio.com, Charleston Cable Company made a very nice cable for my LCD-2F last week!

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #9,124 of 13,132
I leave my modi on all of the time and the magni most of the time. I gave it a shot just to see. I even said I don't believe in burn in and it didn't work on my other phones but keep believing you know the answer. It's not like my background isn't in medicine and before that aviation electronic engineering. I guess you don't think temp can't effect sound either. I really don't care to be honest I KNOW what I heard between two sessions with no listening in between because of my schedule. If you want to get into the science of it we can. I bought the damn things with the plan to sell them anyway because the guy didn't know what he had. If I'm so easily influenced and tricked by my own expectations then I shouldn't have liked them at all.

No worries mate, and for the record, burn-in is another "phenomenon" I actually don't dismiss or endorse outright as I do not have the ability to confirm, or refute it. I do tend to go toward the notion of brain burn-in, but it doesn't strike me as impossible that mechanical burn-in exists. My point was, and as a person of science I am actually surprised you don't agree, that you can't simply eliminate expectation bias as a plausible alternative explanation. That really shouldn't be such a contentious position to take. That said, and I'll be appropriately self-critical, I could have, and likely should have just kept quiet.

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #9,125 of 13,132
Burn in is crystal evident. With the brand new schiit lyr 2 and canadian tube the sound was desynched and was very bright the first couple of days. Now it is more smooth and the sound is now synched with the videos for example when I watch youtube.

Sep 27, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #9,126 of 13,132
  Burn in is crystal evident. With the brand new schiit lyr 2 and canadian tube the sound was desynched and was very bright the first couple of days. Now it is more smooth and the sound is now synched with the videos for example when I watch youtube.

Tubes are different, burn-in in tubes is well established. Mind you I have never heard about syncing issues, but who knows.

Sep 27, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #9,127 of 13,132
I share Sonic's stance on this: I don't have the experience to say for sure if cables or gear burn-in is real. Except where he learns towards it being all in the head, I learn towards it being real. Hell, on some days I flipflop. I just don't know.

I feel like I've experienced the sound advantages of silver-plated copper, and the smoothing out of harsh IEMs over time. But honestly, it could all be my brain adjusting, or hearing what I expect to hear.

It's a tricky business. Too many brilliant, well-respected people swear by it to dismiss out of hand. But you'd think these things could be measured empirically if they were real.

I just don't know.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #9,128 of 13,132
This is all leading to a hot DB8, civil at first then..... best left to sound science forum or mods will be pruning the expletives soon (not from me btw).
Step clear and around the burn-in dead body...it always escalates.

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #9,129 of 13,132
  This is all leading to a hot DB8, civil at first then..... best left to sound science forum or mods will be pruning the expletives soon (not from me btw).
Step clear and around the burn-in dead body...it always escalates.

So true. I agree, I should know better than to ever even go down that road .....

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #9,130 of 13,132
I own the DX80 as well and using the headphone out as a line out results in a huge loss of detail for me. You're not sending the right input voltage to your amp this way as far as I know, someone please correct me. It works, but it doesn't sound right to me. I would suggest buying a Schiit Bifrost Multibit or maybe a Modi Multibit and using the coax output on the DX80. This gives the best results by far as you're able to use the DX80 as a transport and it beats the pants off of using a computer through USB in my opinion. Bass and midrange is much tighter and clear and the background is completely black and silent. No matter what kind of things I try with USB, I can always hear some noise in the background if I turn the volume up on the amp. 

Also keep in mind that you might be expecting a lot more bass than the LCD-2 actually puts out. It's not a bass head headphone. It has extremely articulate and slammy bass all the way down to 5 Hz, but it doesn't throw it in your face. You may want to take a while to just listen and see what kinds of new details you can hear in the bass line.

I think that upgrading to the Noir was worth it for me. It's a gorgeous cable and it's totally indestructible, whereas the stock cable had knicks in it after a year of use for me. The Noir tightens up the bass ever so slightly to my ears, FWIW. 
I did not think of that not really familiar with DACs basically never used one in a set up I was more of a portable guy myself but since I started driving and lazy to walk anywhere
I am now diving deeper and deeper into the home audio set up , I have always been into headphones and have purchased many pairs .
But as you may know I'm addicted to getting to best sound I can get well as far as my budget would stretch anyway
Anyway ' think your way would be my next option as far as a DAC via coax makes sense to use the dx80 as a transport hopefully the low end will be more apparent
I was saying there was no base via the line out and I know what the LCDs are capable of , the base via the line out was in the league of the hd600 that's why I preferred to
Use the headphone out so I can adjust the eq.
But your right I did loose some micro detail in the music which is a no no for sure , I will invest my money into a new DAC the bifrost multibit or something else maybe .
Never liked the thought of using a Mac or PC as a transport I'm more of a go to bed and listen in the quiet and darkness were I can enjoy my music to the full
Just think using a portable player in my set up is an easier solution , many people use macbook pro which I thought would give you the best results but I don't think that's true
Correct me if I am wrong .
You mentioned or recommended a cable for the lcd2 do you really think it's worth upgrading from stock cable .
Cheers .

Sep 28, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #9,132 of 13,132
I did not think of that not really familiar with DACs basically never used one in a set up I was more of a portable guy myself but since I started driving and lazy to walk anywhere
I am now diving deeper and deeper into the home audio set up , I have always been into headphones and have purchased many pairs .
But as you may know I'm addicted to getting to best sound I can get well as far as my budget would stretch anyway
Anyway ' think your way would be my next option as far as a DAC via coax makes sense to use the dx80 as a transport hopefully the low end will be more apparent
I was saying there was no base via the line out and I know what the LCDs are capable of , the base via the line out was in the league of the hd600 that's why I preferred to
Use the headphone out so I can adjust the eq.
But your right I did loose some micro detail in the music which is a no no for sure , I will invest my money into a new DAC the bifrost multibit or something else maybe .
Never liked the thought of using a Mac or PC as a transport I'm more of a go to bed and listen in the quiet and darkness were I can enjoy my music to the full
Just think using a portable player in my set up is an easier solution , many people use macbook pro which I thought would give you the best results but I don't think that's true
Correct me if I am wrong .
You mentioned or recommended a cable for the lcd2 do you really think it's worth upgrading from stock cable .
Cheers .

You can certainly get great sound from a computer and I do it normally, I just think the DX80 is a little better for it.

It is strange that you lost that much bass from line out, not sure what is going on there. I don't remember losing that much bass when I compared my DX80 line out to the coax in on the Bifrost. Maybe a loose connection or bad cable or something?

I think the stock cable is of poor build quality and it's way too long and uncomfortable. I got a shorter, much higher quality cable and I'm very happy with it. The Forza Noir Hybrid tightens up the bass ever so slightly but not really noticable over a long period. If you want a nicer cable that will last forever go for the upgrade, otherwise the stock cable is fine.

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #9,133 of 13,132
the strangest thing happened last night , after i read your post i decided to give it another try through the line out 
and the results are not what i remembered or told you about .
for no apparent reason the bass was more extended , layered and had more detail and clarity to it 
i am not sure what happened over the period of two weeks from switching to line out to headphone out 
it is a mystery to me how the bass can suddenly change so much but all i can say is that when i first purchased 
the asgard 2 and the audeze lcd 2 they was brand new out of the box and when i first connected them up for first run
they was connected through the line out and that is were i left it for a few days but was disapointed with the low end
i then changed to headphone out to adjust the eq, and then proceeded to burn them  both in constantly for 7 hours a day to the day.
after 2 weeks that is when i switched back to line out and my god what happened am i going mad .
the whole aspect of the sound had changed not only the low end but the mids became sweeter and everything sounded how it should
balanced smooth and sweet .
i was never a believer of burn in period and i thought what the hell nothing to loose and it was so apparent that it had changed the sound
in a good way , for people to say that it was my brain getting used to the sound all i can say is that is not f..k..g possible i know when there
is low end or there is not ,  unless aliens came down from space and stole my low end .
as far as an upgrade cable i was thinking of maybe one from toxic cables , cardas, or moon audio 
am not a believer in over priced cables but after that experience maybe i will become a believer god help me 
with this addiction lol.
just like to thank you guys for taking the time to reply 

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #9,134 of 13,132
  the strangest thing happened last night , after i read your post i decided to give it another try through the line out 
and the results are not what i remembered or told you about .
for no apparent reason the bass was more extended , layered and had more detail and clarity to it 
i am not sure what happened over the period of two weeks from switching to line out to headphone out 
it is a mystery to me how the bass can suddenly change so much but all i can say is that when i first purchased 
the asgard 2 and the audeze lcd 2 they was brand new out of the box and when i first connected them up for first run
they was connected through the line out and that is were i left it for a few days but was disapointed with the low end
i then changed to headphone out to adjust the eq, and then proceeded to burn them  both in constantly for 7 hours a day to the day.
after 2 weeks that is when i switched back to line out and my god what happened am i going mad .
the whole aspect of the sound had changed not only the low end but the mids became sweeter and everything sounded how it should
balanced smooth and sweet .
i was never a believer of burn in period and i thought what the hell nothing to loose and it was so apparent that it had changed the sound
in a good way , for people to say that it was my brain getting used to the sound all i can say is that is not f..k..g possible i know when there
is low end or there is not ,  unless aliens came down from space and stole my low end .
as far as an upgrade cable i was thinking of maybe one from toxic cables , cardas, or moon audio 
am not a believer in over priced cables but after that experience maybe i will become a believer god help me 
with this addiction lol.
just like to thank you guys for taking the time to reply 

Sometimes you can not fully plug in and still get a signal and then push a bit more and click, everything hits like it should.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #9,135 of 13,132

Why not stray outside of the forum here where nobody is allowed to discuss these matters and see what you think about the discussion in the sound science forum? Technically I think the ban on discussing these matters outside of the sound science forum should also cover those who believe in things like burn-in and not just those who don't. Here for one we really shouldn't be discussing these topics (my bad for having done so already) and two, you will get more balanced information and input in the sound science forum. It isn't simply full of objectivist only posters, there are quite a few dissenting members and people who are on the fence. Well worth a visit, at worst you don't agree with people and have a polite conversation and go on your way. Who knows, you might even be surprised about just how much hard science is out there on such topics. Either way as they say, enjoy the music mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back