Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #9,151 of 13,134
  Yep. I even prefer the lcd2.2 per fazor than the lcd3 fazor or the X (i don't even talk about the XC)..
You have bass on the 800 :wink:
Seriously, the LCD2 goes far lower and with less distortion than the 800. You get more than 1% for the 800 where the lcd is below 0.1%. The THD+Noise % is even better at 100dB than 90dB on the LCD..

Those differences would be almost impossible to hear. They can be measured, but 1% distortion in real world listening is for all intents and purposes inaudible. Actually the bass is decent on the 800S, the LCD2F has more without a doubt, but the 800S with the very slight EQ bass boost I do for the lower region is quite good. I have owned the TH 900, TH 600 and D 7000 so I like my bass, but the 800S is just fine. Sure, more bass wouldn't be unwelcome, but the other strengths of the 800S more than makes up for the lower bass level in my opinion. I loved the LCD2F, and if I could have justified keeping two expensive headphones I would have kept the LCD2F, but given the choice of which one to sell, I elected to keep the 800S. Is it better? Depends on what you call better, they are both amazing sounding headphones with fairly different signatures. In the ideal world I would have both as the LCD2F was really rather nice and I miss it, but if I had to make the choice again I think the results would be the same. I actually didn't expect to like the 800S as much as I like bass and listen to a great deal of EDM, electronica, bass heavy pop like Daft Punk etc.

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #9,152 of 13,134

Quote:
  Yeah i think i'm now at the quite good listening level, somewhere between the good and average but more near the good.. I understand your ideas and when i read again what you said, the fazor not upgrade than the pre much , right ? :D 
Actually I really like the Audeze products.. The first time i saw LCD 2 i cant get out of their design out of my mind, and till now i'm still keep that memory.After I heard LCD XC at the offline show and feel the bass make me goosy that i never ever heard anybass like that before , I decide that i will get one of their product whenever i have a chance and budget.

I can see the appeal of the looks of the LCD series, they do look good but I also consider comfort as an important aspect of design, the weight of the LCD series is just a bit too much, my GF can't use them for more than a few minutes and even for me about 30 minutes to an hour is about it.  Even their EL8 is quite heavy for a headphone designed for portable use, nice design and they have some nice bass.

Not trying to discourage you but just trying to give you enough info to make a good decision.

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #9,153 of 13,134
  I can see the appeal of the looks of the LCD series, they do look good but I also consider comfort as an important aspect of design, the weight of the LCD series is just a bit too much, my GF can't use them for more than a few minutes and even for me about 30 minutes to an hour is about it.  Even their EL8 is quite heavy for a headphone designed for portable use, nice design and they have some nice bass.

Not trying to discourage you but just trying to give you enough info to make a good decision.

The comfort issue may be solvable.  I also felt discomfort after about 30 minutes with the LCD2.  I bought the Lohb comfort strip and now I can listen for a couple hours without issue.  It distributes the weight over a larger area, nearly eliminating the hot spot on the top of my head.  If your issue is clamping or something else, than that is a bigger problem.

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #9,154 of 13,134

Quote:
  The comfort issue may be solvable.  I also felt discomfort after about 30 minutes with the LCD2.  I bought the Lohb comfort strip and now I can listen for a couple hours without issue.  It distributes the weight over a larger area, nearly eliminating the hot spot on the top of my head.  If your issue is clamping or something else, than that is a bigger problem.

I tried a strap like the Lohb one and while it does help distribute the weight better and gets rid of the hot spot its just the total weight that is too much.  I tried to make the clamping force a bit higher to take some of the weight of the top but then I started to get headaches and for my GF if she looks down they will fall off.

Once in a while I get to listen for 8-10 hours at a time and even the HD-650/700 will start to feel heavy so I've started to build Grado clones using drivers from ElevenAcoustica and Nhoord and use highly modified wood cups (sorbothane, dynamat, resin, and felt) to tune them, so far they sound better than the HD-600 I originally built them for and are getting the majority of use these days, very dynamic, super light, and easy to drive.  The ypislon driver from ElevenAcoustica is the better of the two IMO, it does bass better than my TH-600, mids better than the HD-650 and highs are just a touch behind the RS2e, only down side is the sound stage is not that great for large orchestra classical but for almost any other genre its really good.  This is what they look like:

L to R: ypsilon, woody 225i, modded 225e, RS2e, Nhoord

Oct 2, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #9,155 of 13,134

Ah I dont worry about that because I usually listen music in about 1 hour or less and I can take this strength of lcd 2 in that time without feeling uncomfortable. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #9,156 of 13,134
  The HD800S has high bass distortion, you can hear it because that's the "more bass" you are hearing.

The Fazor vs non fazor question - The pre fazor has better resolution and more cohesive sound the fazor is a bit grainier, has a bit of an uneven treble.

I feel the imaging is about the same but found the pre fazor to have a more naturally open sound while the fazor was a bit, grey sounding(2016 version) If you like a lush, romantic and inviting sound the newer LCD-2 isn't that, I'd say the tone is similar to the K7XX but with a less brittle and open sound. 

Are you saying the bass in the HD-800S is just distortion?  To me the bass of the HD-800 and 800S is quite good with very little distortion compared to some other headphones like the TH-900/600 and HD-650.

As for resolution and grain, to me the Fazor version is less grainy and with better resolution than the pre-Fazor, but because of this its not the original lush romantic sound signature that attracted many to the Audeze headphones.

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #9,157 of 13,134
My Fazor LCD-2 is a 2104 version so that could account for the differences, I've heard the newer Nov-Dec 2015 version a few times and didn't like it due to the mids being a little weird.  While I've only heard the HD-800S a few times, to me the bass was not distorted compared to my HD-800, just seems like someone turned up the EQ a few db but it was never sloppy IMO, to me the TH-900 appears to have more distortion in the bass and can get sloppy at times. 

As for hearing details my 2014 Fazor is like a RS/GS series Grado compared to my friends 2.2 which seems like its blurred, even more so than a HD-650 not driven properly.

I guess that's why they have so many different headphones available since we all hear differently.

Oct 2, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #9,161 of 13,134
  I'm hearing what you're hearing.  I would describe the HD800S bass as leaning much more towards "tight" than "sloppy".  However, we all have different ears and different sets ups.

Absolutely. I have been testing the 800S with plenty of Steely Dan, Holy Cole, Peter Gabriel, Fleetwood Mac etc, as well as with plenty of EDM and that bass is anything but a sloppy mess. Sorry LCD2 thread for the deviation. I just wanted you to know TexasBuck that I loved the TH600 I bought from you and they are now happily with another head-fi member here in Ottawa. I may pick up a TH610 as my closed headphone, but we'll see. Cheers.

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #9,162 of 13,134
I'm closing out my evening listening to The White Stripes - Icky Thump. It's been a little while since I put on the LCD-2, since lately I've been fairly obsessed with the 64Audio U12.

Returning to them now, I gotta say, there's nothing quite like an Audeze. :cool:

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #9,163 of 13,134

Grzegorz stepped up and made it happen! His LCD2 v1 Wave Guides work great.

The Wave Guides were 3D printed by Shapeways.com for $29.00 for a set of 4.

I made measurements of LCD2 v1 Stock, with Rear Side Wave Guides, and with Rear Side + Ear Side Wave Guides.

Listening impressions and measurements will follow in a couple of days.

The Rear Side Wave Guides were a perfect Drop-In and friction mounted with stock thick felt over the wave guides, stock foam over felt, and metal grilles over foam.

The Ear Side Wave Guides had to be rotated 180 degrees, corners snipped to fit, and secured with hot glue.

Next up...Wave Guides for Fostex T50RP by none other than Grzegorz, "The G-Man."

4 Wave Guides by Grzegorz

LCD2 v1 Rear Side with stock thick felt, foam, and grille removed

Rear Side Wave Guide drops in and fits perfectly by friction mounting

Stock thick felt over Wave Guide on the Rear Side

LCD2 v1 with stock foam over stock thick felt over rear 
side Wave Guide

Ear Side of LCD2 v1 with pad removed

Inverted Wave Guide with corners snipped to fit.
Secured in place with a bead of hot glue around the edges.
The pad goes over this mounted with double-sided tape.

ps.   Still disagree the HD800S has sloppy base though...lol.
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #9,164 of 13,134
  ......... I downloaded the actual programing needed for the 3d printing a while back but cannot find the original site....

Found it.

Wave guide for LCD2s

https://sketchfab.com/models/2ad2680119914de69ab8fb7dfeaedd28

Impressions....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements/1455#post_11126156
"What about the sound? The Wave Guides improved the sound quality of my LCD2 v1 by providing better imaging and offerring more micro details. The midrange retains its wonderful lushness and clairity. Their benchmark bass impact, extension, texture and speed remain unchanged. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back