Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #4,906 of 13,134
What's the player and DAC you're using? The O2 is a perfect amp--the shortest wire with gain. That's why it is transparent, and why you can hear all the differences when you change anything upstream. I'm pretty sure that when the sound sounds flat out of the O2, its a function of the gear before it (upstream), not the O2.

IMO and IME, one should invest in a DAC more than an amp because a DAC affects the sound more than the amp. It's in the DAC where the "processing" SHOULD take place, not on the amp as the amp should just be a wire and gain. That's whybits called "AMPLIFY-re". And the O2 IMO is the perfect amp, regardless of price...err, because of it's price.

DACs--invest in it and choose wisely, specially the digital filters and the processing that comes with it.

My 2 cents.

My one thinking with the O2 is that maybe it doesn't have enough power for the LCD-2s.  

I do like my O2.  When I get my Geek Pulse X, I'll be comparing it to the O2, ODAC and Emotiva DC-1.  Should be interesting.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #4,907 of 13,134
What's the player and DAC you're using? The O2 is a perfect amp--the shortest wire with gain. That's why it is transparent, and why you can hear all the differences when you change anything upstream. I'm pretty sure that when the sound sounds flat out of the O2, its a function of the gear before it (upstream), not the O2.

IMO and IME, one should invest in a DAC more than an amp because a DAC affects the sound more than the amp. It's in the DAC where the "processing" SHOULD take place, not on the amp as the amp should just be a wire and gain. That's whybits called "AMPLIFY-re". And the O2 IMO is the perfect amp, regardless of price...err, because of it's price.

DACs--invest in it and choose wisely, specially the digital filters and the processing that comes with it.

My 2 cents.

In theory a wire with gain *should* just present the sound of the source. IMO and others... amps change the sound just as much as DACs do. You can have vanishingly low distortion, but that doesn't mean the amp doesn't have a "sound" to it. IME building both the Wire and the O2, the Wire sounds better. I'm not sure why. It just does. The O2 sounds dry/dull in comparison, using the same DAC. The Wire has more depth especially in the bass region. The O2 is an ok amp and gets the job done on a budget, but there are better options out there.

And yes I have LCD-2 Rev 2s and have listened to the LCD2-Fs and I'm keeping the Rev2s.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #4,908 of 13,134
Can't remember who said their LCD-2 was too laid back but Beresford Camen amp has a setting for DEPTH which counters this on some cans. It has just been released in the last month or so.
I posted some info on it over on the Audeze amp thread....more than enough juice for ALL LCD-2's....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2/7740#post_11099452

Looks like it has a lot of dialabilty to cover a wide range of cans in a collection...

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #4,909 of 13,134
In theory a wire with gain *should* just present the sound of the source. IMO and others... amps change the sound just as much as DACs do. You can have vanishingly low distortion, but that doesn't mean the amp doesn't have a "sound" to it. IME building both the Wire and the O2, the Wire sounds better. I'm not sure why. It just does. The O2 sounds dry/dull in comparison, using the same DAC. The Wire has more depth especially in the bass region. The O2 is an ok amp and gets the job done on a budget, but there are better options out there.

And yes I have LCD-2 Rev 2s and have listened to the LCD2-Fs and I'm keeping the Rev2s.

Not true at all. I even have the 1x/3.5x gain custom O2 and the 1x gain is enough for the LCD-2.

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #4,910 of 13,134
Quote:
  My one thinking with the O2 is that maybe it doesn't have enough power for the LCD-2s.  

I do like my O2.  When I get my Geek Pulse X, I'll be comparing it to the O2, ODAC and Emotiva DC-1.  Should be interesting.

LCD-2 needs about 2 Vrms of power to reach deafening volumes. At the right gain settings with the right source, the O2 can do more than 3 times that before clipping. Its theoretical limit is 7 Vrms, achieved with a 2 Vrms source on 3.5x gain or a 2.8 Vrms source on 2.5x gain, but you have to be careful not to feed it more than those voltages or it'll clip at the input. 7 Vrms nets you volumes of 121 dB, an easier to achieve 5 Vrms gives you 118 dB.

I have it on default 2.5x gain with a 2 Vrms source (about 5 Vrms total) and I can't turn it up past 10 o'clock without getting a headache, and that's using ReplayGain and a couple extra decibels of digital volume control. Sure, I don't listen loud, but there's plenty of headroom for those that do. I've thought about changing the low gain to 1x, but don't really need to because I don't use any other headphones with it.

I won't comment on everyone hearing differences between amps and DACs out of respect for the thread
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #4,911 of 13,134
LCD-2 needs about 2 Vrms of power to reach deafening volumes. At the right gain settings with the right source, the O2 can do more than 3 times that before clipping. Its theoretical limit is 7 Vrms, achieved with a 2 Vrms source on 3.5x gain or a 2.8 Vrms source on 2.5x gain, but you have to be careful not to feed it more than those voltages or it'll clip at the input. 7 Vrms nets you volumes of 121 dB, an easier to achieve 5 Vrms gives you 118 dB.

I have it on default 2.5x gain with a 2 Vrms source (about 5 Vrms total) and I can't turn it up past 10 o'clock without getting a headache, and that's using ReplayGain and a couple extra decibels of digital volume control. Sure, I don't listen loud, but there's plenty of headroom for those that do. I've thought about changing the low gain to 1x, but don't really need to because I don't use any other headphones with it.

I won't comment on everyone hearing differences between amps and DACs out of respect for the thread :smile:

HI,

What do you think is the reason the LCD-2 Fazor editions lost some bass body/mass/fullness/tightness? The Fazors themselves, the increase in ohms impedance, increase in sensitivity? What is it?

Cheers.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #4,913 of 13,134
  So that's the voltage swing.  Does it provide enough current?

At 60 ohms and 7 Vrms you're using about 120 mA, the O2 can handle a peak current of 200 mA. So yes.

HI,

What do you think is the reason the LCD-2 Fazor editions lost some bass body/mass/fullness/tightness? The Fazors themselves, the increase in ohms impedance, increase in sensitivity? What is it?

Cheers.

I can't give a good answer because I've never torn a headphone down just to see how it ticks, and I've never heard the Fazor. I think it's safe to assume the subjective quality and (at least some of the) increased sensitivity are due to the Fazor, which appears to tip the treble and upper midrange volume up relative to the rest.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #4,914 of 13,134
Hey everyone. I'm sorry I kind of disregarded what everyone said and I bought LCD-2 Revision 1's for $500 which is $300 cheaper than the cheapest I can find for the Revision 2's. The LCD-2's have been my dream headphones for like 3 years now and I finally got them. I honestly cannot justify the $300 jump in price for the Fazor tech. Another reason I kind of skimped out on the headphones is because I'm thinking I might need another amp considering I have the o2+odac combo and I hear it just sounds kind of ok with the LCD-2's. Once I get them I'll tell everyone my impressions. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #4,915 of 13,134
Hey everyone. I'm sorry I kind of disregarded what everyone said and I bought LCD-2 Revision 1's for $500 which is $300 cheaper than the cheapest I can find for the Revision 2's. The LCD-2's have been my dream headphones for like 3 years now and I finally got them. I honestly cannot justify the $300 jump in price for the Fazor tech. Another reason I kind of skimped out on the headphones is because I'm thinking I might need another amp considering I have the o2+odac combo and I hear it just sounds kind of ok with the LCD-2's. Once I get them I'll tell everyone my impressions. :bigsmile_face:

I love my Rev1 and have no desire to get the rev 2 or fazor.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #4,916 of 13,134
What do you think is the reason the LCD-2 Fazor editions lost some bass body/mass/fullness/tightness?

I don't understand why peoples are saying that the new LCD-2 Fazor have lost body/bass/fullness versus the old revisions ?

I have heard all the revisions prior to the Fazor version and to my ears, the LCD-2F are very similar compared to the old revisions in term of body/bass/fullness.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #4,917 of 13,134
 I bought a pair of LCD-2 FAZOR headphones on ebay yesterday so hope to have them to compare to my HD650's by the middle of next week. i'm using an AUDIOLAB M-DAC. having not heard any other amp / dac combos I might go out after the new year to have a listen to see what kind of improvements or upgrades are available.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #4,918 of 13,134

I don't understand why peoples are saying that the new LCD-2 Fazor have lost body/bass/fullness versus the old revisions ?

I have heard all the revisions prior to the Fazor version and to my ears, the LCD-2F are very similar compared to the old revisions in term of body/bass/fullness.

2F is more airy, more balance but still keep the same sound sign with warm mid and deep/extend bass. I prefer the 2F much more than 2.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #4,919 of 13,134

I own both and the decrease in bass body/fullness/tightness/impact is there to my ears. Having said that, I prefer the LCD-2F though as the bass decrease can be remedied by bass boost. The lesser imaging/soundstaging of the LCD-2 Rev. 2 cannot. My Rev. 2 is July 2012, btw.

I bought a pair of LCD-2 FAZOR headphones on ebay yesterday so hope to have them to compare to my HD650's by the middle of next week. i'm using an AUDIOLAB M-DAC. having not heard any other amp / dac combos I might go out after the new year to have a listen to see what kind of improvements or upgrades are available.

Congrats. I own the Audiolab 8200CD and IME you'll be hard-pressed to find a DAC with equal quality sound. It's 7 inter-changeable digital filters is unequalled, with 5 of them really of excellent sonic qualities.

2F is more airy, more balance but still keep the same sound sign with warm mid and deep/extend bass. I prefer the 2F much more than 2.
Agree re airy, but disagree bass is exactly the same. Really wondering how come the best characteristic of the older LCD-2 was sacrificed when that characteristic is the one that made them famous in the first place. Maybe another model, but replace it totally? I'd like the Rev. 2 to be totally revived, the lower sensitivity, the bass, and all.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #4,920 of 13,134
I am not sure where else to post this so I figured here would be good. I have some LCD-2's coming with leather pads. However, I have always loved the feeling of velour and am looking at the velour/whatever-material-it-is on the audeze website. I'm just wondering if those pads would still fit the Revision 1's. I would assume yes, but before I drop $80 on some damn pads I want to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back