Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #301 of 13,134
It's true, my opinion is always try and get the best that one can afford, instead of compromising. A lot of people would say that certain headphones have to be matched with a certain amp with certain cable to sound good, I think that is so ridiculous. If a pair of headphones doesn't sound good with a flat reference amp, that means there's something wrong with them already, if they need a specific amp to correct that, it's like putting 2 wrongs together to get one right. To me, the LCD-2s sounds right whether they are fed directly from a Cowon audio player or from a reference class amp or the headphone out of a DAW interface, there may be a slight difference, but is it a $1500 difference? I don't think so, in fact I probably get more of a difference from wearing the headphones in a slightly different position around my head. 
wink.gif

I think the sound quality is not the important thing for musicians, the satisfaction one gets from playing a musical instrument is a lot more than what one can get from just listening. I get far more enjoyment from playing rubbish on a cheap upright than listening to Lang Lang playing Chopin on a Steinway grand, I guess that's probably what your brother thought. 
wink.gif

'Tears in Heaven' is a great song, it moved me the first time I heard it on the radio (a cheap portable cassette radio combo), I've heard it on much better sound systems since, but did it move me more than the first time I head it? The answer is no. To me, a great piece of composition would sound great even if it's played with equipment of lesser quality, but if the music in itself is not of high quality, no enhancement in sound quality could improve it much. I'd rather listen to old recordings of Nat 'King' Cole singing than Justin Bieber in 24bit/96Hz. 
wink.gif

Quote:
I think hearing his perspective did bring me a little back to earth WRT my obsession with fringe tweaks (battery power, cables, and jitter etc).  But the LCD2s alone really showed me how ineffective it was to spend so much on the HD650 on fringe tweaks...when a single upgrade to the LCD2 was the only genuinely effective upgrade worthy of the price I spent on it, along with a nice amplifier and dac for it (I've totalled probably 4.5K worth in fringe tweaking).  I believe that is how he thinks, you could spend the money on a real guitar, that sounds like...a real guitar, as opposed to trying to recreate a real guitar.

I did briefly play Eric Claptons "Tears in Heaven" for my brother with the LCD2s for which he was quite stunned and remarked that he never heard this song properly before, there was so much in that track he never knew existed.  (That's a real song of how deeply emotional man really is...this song was about his son that was killed in a car crash as a young boy...not today's whining boys stupidly depressing "music" about things like being rejected by girls and the meaning of life...etc...or girls happily boasting about how nasty and dirty they are or were. 
L3000.gif
)

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #302 of 13,134
Quote:
It's true, my opinion is always try and get the best that one can afford, instead of compromising. A lot of people would say that certain headphones have to be matched with a certain amp with certain cable to sound good, I think that is so ridiculous. If a pair of headphones doesn't sound good with a flat reference amp, that means there's something wrong with them already, if they need a specific amp to correct that, it's like putting 2 wrongs together to get one right. To me, the LCD-2s sounds right whether they are fed directly from a Cowon audio player or from a reference class amp or the headphone out of a DAW interface, there may be a slight difference, but is it a $1500 difference? I don't think so, in fact I probably get more of a difference from wearing the headphones in a slightly different position around my head. 
wink.gif

I think the sound quality is not the important thing for musicians, the satisfaction one gets from playing a musical instrument is a lot more than what one can get from just listening. I get far more enjoyment from playing rubbish on a cheap upright than listening to Lang Lang playing Chopin on a Steinway grand, I guess that's probably what your brother thought. 
wink.gif

'Tears in Heaven' is a great song, it moved me the first time I heard it on the radio (a cheap portable cassette radio combo), I've heard it on much better sound systems since, but did it move me more than the first time I head it? The answer is no. To me, a great piece of composition would sound great even if it's played with equipment of lesser quality, but if the music in itself is not of high quality, no enhancement in sound quality could improve it much. I'd rather listen to old recordings of Nat 'King' Cole singing than Justin Bieber in 24bit/96Hz. 
wink.gif

I've always seemed to see eye to eye with you, Danz. Even back when I wrote my UM3x review, and now, being LCD-2 owners.

Like you, I always get the best that I can afford also, and I really feel that where I'm at now, with my Concerto and StageDAC, any more money spent would be for the sake of spending money, and not for reasonable upgrades. That's not to say I didn't spend a pretty penny... I think my LCD-2's, Concerto and StageDAC combined have cost me close to $2300. 

But I can say, that I wouldn't be caught dead spending that same $2300 on a single amp/dac/etc to get my LCD-2's to "sound right". I never like to settle, but I also don't like to be excessive. So once again, I definitely see eye to eye with you, Danz.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #303 of 13,134

Quote:
I did briefly play Eric Claptons "Tears in Heaven" for my brother with the LCD2s for which he was quite stunned and remarked that he never heard this song properly before, there was so much in that track he never knew existed.  (That's a real song of how deeply emotional man really is...this song was about his son that was killed in a car crash as a young boy...not today's whining boys stupidly depressing "music" about things like being rejected by girls and the meaning of life...etc...or girls happily boasting about how nasty and dirty they are or were. 
L3000.gif
)

Just a point of clarification, Eric Clapton's son died running out of an open floor to ceiling window of a New York apartment, he was found on an adjacent building.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #305 of 13,134

Quote:

Just a point of clarification, Eric Clapton's son died running out of an open floor to ceiling window of a New York apartment, he was found on an adjacent building.

I stand corrected.  I have no idea where the car crash idea came from, but I feel this song is a masterpiece that warrants the correct facts.  I always "liked" the song it was a nice tune, but never felt a connection to it as I thought it was a break up song, for which the sadness was ridiculous in the context of relationships...but when I heard it was about the tragic death of his young son...it dawned on me that it was a masterpiece.  The "heaven" part in the title should have registered, yes I am a little slow sometimes.

Interestingly enough, in an interview Eric Clapton said he could never perform that song ever again, something along the lines of time moves on and his emotions no longer justify the compromises the song brings to his emotions, or his emotions or lackthereof, compromising this song he wrote for his boy.  WOW, that is deep.

Quote:
Totally agree with you! I'm now listening "Tears in Heaven" from Unplugged album, fantastic with Endorphin cable! Excellent!

LOL!  Impeccable timing.  But still... 
angry_face.gif
for being a smartass...
wink.gif
cause it made me laugh ...
cool.gif
because, y'know, whatevah man.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #309 of 13,134
Hi guys, what would be a better setup for the LCD2, a DV337 or Little Dot MKVII+, coupled with a Matrix mini as dac. I'm trying to decide which amp I should keep as I would like to purchase an LCD2 ( hopefully in the near future ), but can't afford to keep both amps. Anyone knows what are the differences these two amps will make on the sound signature of the LCD2? 

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #310 of 13,134
I'll get a pair used this afternoon locally, the seller received it on 4 Apr and stated he loves the sound of the LCD-2 so much but not the weight on his head. Hopefully my neck is strong enough.
beerchug.gif

Edit. It's sitting in my office now, exciting. 
biggrin.gif
Will try it out immediately tonight when I get home.

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #311 of 13,134

Quote:
Hi guys, what would be a better setup for the LCD2, a DV337 or Little Dot MKVII+, coupled with a Matrix mini as dac. I'm trying to decide which amp I should keep as I would like to purchase an LCD2 ( hopefully in the near future ), but can't afford to keep both amps. Anyone knows what are the differences these two amps will make on the sound signature of the LCD2? 

Check out this thread!
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2#post_6689081

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #313 of 13,134

Quote:
alright thanks didn't see that thread will check it out!

I'd attempt to answer your question myself, but I haven't tried either amp you mentioned.  When I did a search for them in that thread I did see a number of hits.  Good luck!

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #314 of 13,134
SP Wild, have you heard Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven from the One More Car, One More Rider album?  I like this version especially with the LCD-2.  
o2smile.gif

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #315 of 13,134
Just bought a pair of LCD-2s through Ebay, slightly used. These are the newer version with A-marked grills and AD-Z5 cable. Was just wondering if anyone can expand on these upgrades. Do the newer markings on the grills mean anything? Does the new cable improve sound and is it less microphonic? Finally, would you say Audeze have got the construction of these phones sorted out? Worries over DIY-type construction has kept me from considering these phones earlier; the last thing I want is to be halfway through my favourite symphony and feel a screw fall out from somewhere. I'm coming from Senn 650s so I have few worries that I'll like the sound. 

Sorry if these questions have already been covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back