Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread
May 11, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #3,061 of 13,132
Thank you Guys! for your accurate and guiding replies! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Its really a hard call for me, Practically,

LCD2's [Have to be imported from Audeze, USA] may attract customs.. If they do, It can be hell for me
frown.gif

and  HD800's are at 1250$ Delivered, But no returns accepted;
redface.gif

Audition for HD800's is 500 KM away from me. Travelling there is is like "Journey of an Hobbit" 
biggrin.gif

India is a tough place for audiophiles
tongue.gif

May 11, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #3,062 of 13,132
I would choose Audeze in your case, a used pair (between the 2 mentioned)

From India I.M.O it's easier to get Chinese stuffs, and you can ask Hifiman to help about customs :wink:

A He 560 is a good choice and if you can't wait for official releasing then HE 500 remains a good contender

May 11, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #3,063 of 13,132
With the money saved then you can afford a tubes amp also

May 11, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #3,064 of 13,132
  Thank you Guys! for your accurate and guiding replies! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Its really a hard call for me, Practically,

LCD2's [Have to be imported from Audeze, USA] may attract customs.. If they do, It can be hell for me
frown.gif

and  HD800's are at 1250$ Delivered, But no returns accepted;
redface.gif

Audition for HD800's is 500 KM away from me. Travelling there is is like "Journey of an Hobbit" 
biggrin.gif

India is a tough place for audiophiles
tongue.gif

Seems HD800 is the better option for you price-wise locally. Just be sure they are an authorized dealer. That way at least in dealing with warranty/repairs that can be much less of a headache. I just recently had a problem with shipping for repairs on an imported product... very sad story. Dealing locally/closer is certainly preferable in my book.

May 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #3,065 of 13,132
  Im so torn
redface.gif

HD800 : Amp finnicky, Bright.

LCD2 : Comfort, Dark.

Yeah I cannot invest more than 300$ for amp [ For an year or so] So itsO2/ODAC...

My Ears are large [8 CM long top to bottom]

How dark is LCD2's signature? Darker than HD 650?

How long is warranty period of LCD2?

Quality and Build? Service from Audeze?

Any known flaws in design or drivers or body?

Thanks!

A Matrix M-Stage and an HD800 may be an option. The M-Stage is a clone of the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, which was used during the development of the HD800 and often paired with the HD800 when they were first being demoed. According to project86 they pair very well.

I'm more of a fan of the LCD-2 over the HD800, but that's a personal choice. However, to me the LCD-2 needs a fair amount of power to sound good, more than the O2 can provide (though I haven't tried the combo so I can't be absolutely sure).

May 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #3,066 of 13,132
Not sure about the minimum amount of power to drive the lcd 2

but Audeze official site recommends alo pan am as a good pairing option for the lcd 2
and I don't think it is a very powerful amp

May 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #3,067 of 13,132
Drove my LCD2 through my DX50 before... sound was not shabby at all... very listenable in fact. If the LCD2 were 100% through my Schiit stack... then I'd say the DX50 got them goin to 70% of the way there. Yet, these cans can take some serious power... from the Audeze website: "Maximum power handling: 15 W (for 200 ms)". Don't know many amps out there that could easily swing 15W.
wink.gif

They aren't that hard to drive... but they will please more if you feed them.

May 11, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,068 of 13,132
I own the LCD-2 Rev 2 (2013) but am really interested in hearing how the HD650 compares to the LCD Rev 2.

Can anyone upload or point me in the direction of an image of how the EQ settings might look in iTunes or Foobar? I'm no good at these things.

May 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #3,069 of 13,132
Not sure about the minimum amount of power to drive the lcd 2

but Audeze official site recommends alo pan am as a good pairing option for the lcd 2
and I don't think it is a very powerful amp

From the Audeze Knowledge Base (regarding the LCD-2):

"So, an amplifier that can output 1w is the bare minimum. Amplifiers will have distortion metrics at different wattage levels. If an amp can output maximum 1w it would be barely sufficient and might have a lot of distortion at full output.

So I would suggest an Amp that would at least be able to provide a couple of watts of output without any clipping. Damping in amplifiers is not a big problem for LCD-2 since the impedance doesn't vary."

May 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #3,070 of 13,132
  I own the LCD-2 Rev 2 (2013) but am really interested in hearing how the HD650 compares to the LCD Rev 2.

Can anyone upload or point me in the direction of an image of how the EQ settings might look in iTunes or Foobar? I'm no good at these things.

I owned them both.  I really did like the HD650's but the lcd 2 is a just at a another level.  I wouldn't have been happy going from the lcd-2 to the hd 650.  
As far as eq settings?  I run mine flat.

May 11, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #3,071 of 13,132
  I owned them both.  I really did like the HD650's but the lcd 2 is a just at a another level.  I wouldn't have been happy going from the lcd-2 to the hd 650.  
As far as eq settings?  I run mine flat.

i am quite curious myself about a detailed a comparison between hd650 and lcd-2. is it more bout bass overall or is it bout detail retrieval?

May 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #3,072 of 13,132
Isnt O2 superior than Matrix  M stage? [In terms of SQ] Then How does LCD2 pair with matrix M stage?

M stage got much power than O2?  It best if It churns out a watt of power!
smily_headphones1.gif

Which DAC to use?  I think M DAC is pretty inferior sounding compared to ODAC?

Yep, O2 lacks power. Drove the HD600's well, but without "punch"

May 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #3,073 of 13,132
I've auditioned LCD-2's twice and just placed an order for mine. I listened to HD 650's out of a McIntosh MA5200 receiver a few days ago. They were much more modern looking and well built than pictures so, and oh so comfortable. My impression was, they have a near similar level of detail retrieval in the mids, but the bass extension just was nowhere close to LCD-2's. Warm, intimate, velvety bass, but not the tight extended planar behavior of the Audeze's. Mids were beautiful indeed. The treble was very dark compared to the LCD-2's that I felt were very natural/ more extended, and with more space. I don't think the 650's were driven properly, and I would expect better imaging, extension on both ends, and detail out of a proper amp. They are certainly a fantastic value for the price, and certainly are a high-end can! I tried HD700's as well, and they shared similar bass, more detail/ soundstage, but with a fatiguing treble peak. I have the feeling I'd be a HD600 person myself. Hope this helps.

May 12, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #3,074 of 13,132
  Isnt O2 superior than Matrix  M stage? [In terms of SQ] Then How does LCD2 pair with matrix M stage?

M stage got much power than O2?  It best if It churns out a watt of power!
smily_headphones1.gif

Which DAC to use?  I think M DAC is pretty inferior sounding compared to ODAC?

Yep, O2 lacks power. Drove the HD600's well, but without "punch"

I have the Mini-i PRO, drives them beautifully. 

May 12, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #3,075 of 13,132
It is the time of the week where i take out my LCD2 to play....
leaning back on my highback armchair, the big soundscape surrounding, massaging me thru this amazing can,
really a treat , yes the coffee aroma helps too.

Just GET one...then tweak your setup until u hit delirium.

===========

ok the hd650 is 80% there, albeit with a silverplatedcopper cable.
But u wont get rid of the itch to try the LCD2. :p

===========

Users who are viewing this thread

Back