1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. Skylab Contributor

Quote:

I have a maxxed WA6 (non-SE), and I think it sounds excellent with the LCD-2.  I listen at very "sane" levels - 80 dBA peaks, measured with an SPL meter.  So while the WA6 can't reproduce 110 dB peaks with the LCD-2, that is never going to be an issue for me at all.

I'm using 6FD7's in my WA6, which sound the best with the LCD-2, IMO.

2. Frank I

Quote:
    Do you prefer it over the SS Concerto and it the 6SE is 1W so I have heard both and the SE has more power which probably open the sound stage and give more headroom. . Have you trie the D7000 with the Woo also. The 6

3. Skylab Contributor
    I do prefer the WA6, slightly, over the Concerto, driving the LCD-2.

4. Frank I

Quote:

Did you play the D7000 on the Woo 6

5. SP Wild

Quote:

When I speak of driver speed - it is with no relation to frequency response and it is in the engineering sense:  The ability of the air pump (diaphragm) in tackling physical inertia.  I highly recommend all members that are unsure of this concept to read the posts in Tylls headphone measurement thread at the sound science forum - starting from here

With regards to you example with the triangles - I am uncertain of whether or not the sound will "float above" the orchestra in the LCD2s as this is not objective and purely psycho-acoustical.  I can confirm that the triangle sound will be reproduced with excellent accuracy and definition - as any bell type sound (triangles, drum cowbells, ride cymbals) is a strenuous test of driver speed.  How much the triangle sound will be emphasised in overall energy will be subject to frequency response, in this sense - the HD800 will emphasise the triangle more than the LCD2.  The LCD2 rendering the triangle with better definition and "bite" but further back in the mix, and in my opinion, with a greater sense of space - because the outline of the note is more clearly rendered and differentiated from the surrounding "noise". 

When I mentioned "detail" and "etched" it is with reference to the above illustration of the triangles definition and sense of "space" and go hand in hand with driver inertia control and with little relation to frequency response.  All three conditions exist in all frequencies, bass, midrange and treble when the engineering aspects of the driver are technically capable.

The LCD2 I found to be more "analytical" because it is more able to expose recording flaws than the HD800 and the HD800 more capable than the HD650 in this regard.  If I were to use temperature to describe tonal balance (as it is used to describe motion picture color palette),  The HD800 is cool, HD650 is warm, and the LCD2 is warmer.

I hope this can help you conjure the LCD2s character in your imagination more accurately - with the description that is as objective as I can be.

Regards.

6. Jwm48324
    What we hear on headphones or loudspeakers is only a illusion of the real thing. As far as the real thing we are not even close. If you go to live symphonies even in a good hall, the music sounds like mono. You can tell where the horn section is vs the cellos and violins but they all seem to come close to the same area. Also the music is warm not lean and not putting it through a microscope like microphones do. You can hear bells but they are never the way you hear them in recordings. So as far as I am concerned warm in a recording is one aspect that gets it closer to the real thing. Now if you go to a live jazz club that is not amplified the sound is still mono. If you sit close usually the sound is so dynamic it is scary; another thing we can't quite reproduce yet.

7. Bullseye
    Lets see if anyone can help me out with this.

How would this headphones compare to some stax like the SR-202 and/or the Koss ESP-950?

I might sell the majority of my current dynamic HPs to go for either this LD2 or T1 and would like to know in advanced. 

8. oqvist

Quote:

This is due to you being further back from the performance then the mics. Bass travel further and separation get less the further back in the theater you sit since you get less and less angles to play with.  Sitting in an orchestra you get quite a lot of instrument separation I can tell you that.

9. kwkarth

Quote:

You're making many assumptions that aren't necessarily true.  On top of all of your other assumptions, live sound is not mono unless you only have one ear. 

10. Jian

Quote:

Agree. To say real sound is "mono", one better go and have a hearing test. Again, if one is sitting in a hall for live symphony, feeling all sound is coming from same place, than it is a good time to stop.

11. DefectiveAudioComponent
    "Mono" sound is not the way to go to get a "live" sound. Quite the contrary. My vintage Hall Synthesizer creates four extra ambience channels for wall reflections. Not all the sound comes from dead ahead! (However, it's recommended to place both front speakers next to each other with a thin dividing wall between, to get the ambiosonics right, so it's slightly "mono" from there... except that the idea is to get stereo separation (as with headphones).... The other speakers are placed to get the directon of the wall reflections right.). The idea is to get a headphone-like sound (binaural, but without the effect that everything moves with your head.).

Can we get back on track now?

12. K_19
    Hey all,

Just a quick question regarding the warranty policy... I have an opportunity to buy a used LCD-2 right now but I was wondering if the warranty is transferrable. I'm on the pre order list also and will be buying it eventually either way, but just wondering if I'd be covered if I buy it used, as I'm sure some of you here on this thread have. Thanks.

13. Solude
    Short answer probably not, long answer a lot of manufacturers don't care to that point.  You have a receipt, you are within the time... it'll be covered.  Which makes sense since really if I buy you one for your birthday, I'll be on the order, but you are the first owner.  Make sense?

14. K_19
    Makes sense, thanks.  Seems like it should be okay then as long as the seller is willing to help out in case of warranty claim and such. 

15. oqvist
    Mail Audeze to make sure perhaps?

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last