Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Mar 18, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #6,257 of 7,352
@Audeze @KMann Is there any chance you can release a "firmware update" type permanent EQ for the Cipher Bluetooth Module, since the chipset doesn't support changing the EQ on-the-fly? Perhaps some kind of tool that inserts an EQ preset into the firmware file and flashes it. I listen at ~63 dB SPL and I need a significant bass boost for it to sound right. I intend to use this with my iPhone and I need it to work globally.

Or at least make available a set of beta firmware based on the Warm & Music presets from the Mobius.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #6,259 of 7,352
@Audeze @KMann Is there any chance you can release a "firmware update" type permanent EQ for the Cipher Bluetooth Module, since the chipset doesn't support changing the EQ on-the-fly? Perhaps some kind of tool that inserts an EQ preset into the firmware file and flashes it. I listen at ~63 dB SPL and I need a significant bass boost for it to sound right. I intend to use this with my iPhone and I need it to work globally.

Or at least make available a set of beta firmware based on the Warm & Music presets from the Mobius.

Sorry the SDK does not support custom EQ.

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #6,260 of 7,352
Sorry the SDK does not support custom EQ.
Then how did you get the Cipher tuning into the Bluetooth module in the first place? I'm asking if you can provide alternate firmware with the default EQ itself changed to Warm or something.

Mar 19, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #6,262 of 7,352
They are factory programmed (directly burned into the dsp) and not programmed via Bluetooth.
I was referring to USB before (I said Bluetooth just because it's the name of the product), but now I assume it's not re-programmable via USB either.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #6,266 of 7,352
Hi everyone,

I have some questions regarding the cipher bluetooth module and hope you can assist me before purchase. I am planning to pair this with my campfire audio atlas but need to be sure of the following:

1.) Can it be paired/is it compatible with the atlas? ( the atlas uses the mmcx connectors)

2.) How is the sound quality compared to plugging (my atlas) it in directly to a headphone jack of an Iphone SE or a Macbook pro?

3.) Following the last question. I have an iphone SE and a macbook pro 2014 as my source so I don't have the benefit of the bluetooth 5.0 or APTX HD. With that in mind, how is the bluetooth quality going to fair compared to a direct connection?

4.) How loud does it get with the bluetooth module? I have the flares pro which to me has the best bluetooth module I've heard till date (in terms of clarity and sound quality) but the problem is, it doesn't get loud enough.

5.) How is the durability? Can it be used to work out without issues?

Thank you so much in advance as I know I asked a lot of questions.

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #6,267 of 7,352
Anyone have any thoughts on the cipher (wired) and Tidal masters? Now MQA is available direct on iOS - I’m wondering what it’s doing with the lightning port. The official dongle appears to be limited to 48 but Audeze suggest higher is possible. Anyone got any info?

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #6,268 of 7,352
Anyone have any thoughts on the cipher (wired) and Tidal masters? Now MQA is available direct on iOS - I’m wondering what it’s doing with the lightning port. The official dongle appears to be limited to 48 but Audeze suggest higher is possible. Anyone got any info?

I've contacted Audeze on this issue and received a rather bland reply suggesting that all MQA processing takes place on the devices and that the DAC in the cipher cable is not involved in Hi-Res output via upsampling or any other means.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #6,269 of 7,352
The Lightning Audio Module outputs 24-bit 48 kHz. All processing gimmicks are implemented entirely within the app.

I believe Apple will not approve audio hardware that doesn't use the LAM, even though it's possible to make a custom accessory with higher sample rates. This is a good decision since it prevents their customers from getting conned by snake oil audio companies with gimmicks like hi-res audio.

I hope they also start banning apps that advertise hi-res audio. It's literally a con since the hardware cannot output it.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #6,270 of 7,352
I love my iSine20s. The open earphone, coupled with a nicely-EQ-ed Lightening connector with in-line remote and the possibility of further EQ (which I do not use), make it one of my favorite, least-complicated music systems with my iPod Touch 6 or iOhone 5 SE.

But...

Two things really irritate me:
  • The earhooks snap at random intervals, so I must always carry a spare;
  • The earhooks prevent storing the earphones in that wonderfully-fitted case that Audeze provides...I have to take them off each time I store them and put them back on when I used them, perhaps contributing to their propensity to snap. I have tried the hard small cases that you throw the whole earphone, with hooks on, into, but then I spend more time than I like untangling the cord and worry about the two earpieces scratching each other in the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back