Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 29, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #3,751 of 9,041
  Regarding the on going 380cu vs 380 discussion.

Has anybody found the Layla's benefit from the AMP over 380cu without?

My friend's comment after hearing the Layla's on a 380 with amp against his Cu on Sunday, was that the Cu was more musical and involving in presentation. Drawing him into the music more. 

Personally, I never listened......

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #3,752 of 9,041
Exactly what I heard. The AK380 amp had never been particularly impressive anyways. It's mainly for the looks and the fit, and if you are using big cans. We are treading into B&O / Bose territory here if you guys know what I mean. But the copper without amp is still the best sounding DAP ever. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #3,753 of 9,041
I start to doubt Head-fi.com, or more generally, people. Declaring superstitious claims, i.e. wearing the case has effects on sound production like " you know who " has claimed once.

Another example is burn in, I have tried one Layla that I have used over 40 hours and more, and another from my friend recently opened, I have not noticed any difference, what ever appeared in the bunrt in Layla has shown in the other.

All I can say is that most people have post purchase rationalization, or choice supportive bias! So don't take whatever it is said here, for those who are interested in buying high end sound product!

I suggest to check the histroy of the guy who is doing the impression here, there are very respected guys in here that really do unbiased impressions.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #3,756 of 9,041
  mmm.....to continue and within the thousand bucks range: the K3003i from AKG. Goes well with the AK players. The changeable filters gives you some latitude to suit the earphone to your preference. I prefer the reference filter. And, yes, its good for just about any musical genre of choice.  If you are considering the Layla, audition first the K3003i with your AK 380. If you feel a little bit generous (to yourself), with  the 1500 or so savings, spring for the Alo Audio CDM, which pairs really well with AK player. Re: the AK 380 (or cu)  pairs well  with just about any earphone or in-ear. The problem starts when you try to use it with the big cans. You need amplification. But for iems, no problems at all.

Thanks, I'll make audition  with K3003i and I'll see . I have now some in-ears to explore.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #3,757 of 9,041
  hopefully very soon in Austria

hopefully very soon in Austria

smily_headphones1.gif
beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #3,758 of 9,041
I start to doubt Head-fi.com, or more generally, people. Declaring superstitious claims, i.e. wearing the case has effects on sound production like " you know who " has claimed once.

Another example is burn in, I have tried one Layla that I have used over 40 hours and more, and another from my friend recently opened, I have not noticed any difference, what ever appeared in the bunrt in Layla has shown in the other.

All I can say is that most people have post purchase rationalization, or choice supportive bias! So don't take whatever it is said here, for those who are interested in buying high end sound product!

I suggest to check the histroy of the guy who is doing the impression here, there are very respected guys in here that really do unbiased impressions.

You can try removing the case... The sound will immediately become more open and less congested. The AK380 needs to breathe to realise its full potential, Copper version or not.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #3,759 of 9,041

You can try removing the case... The sound will immediately become more open and less congested. The AK380 needs to breathe to realise its full potential, Copper version or not.

Absolutely!   

I went a bit further though and removed my screen protector!   WOW!  What!  Crystal clear clarity and ohhhhhhhhhh so smooth

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #3,760 of 9,041

removing which case ? the leather case or... opening the back of the AK380 ???  
redface.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #3,761 of 9,041
  Absolutely!   

I went a bit further though and removed my screen protector!   WOW!  What!  Crystal clear clarity and ohhhhhhhhhh so smooth

Isn't it? Every little thing you add on the unit will have some effect. We should not alter what Astell & Kern (a.k.a. iRiver) has designed as material clearly plays an important role. That's why the Cu is far superior.

Mar 1, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #3,762 of 9,041
  Absolutely!   

You are trying to be funny but LA was actually serious about it.

I'm sure if you take AK380 to outer space for listening, it will start suffocating and choking on its sound output.

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #3,763 of 9,041
Change of topic here people.  I am posting these pics just for peoples` interest.  A lot of headfiers around the world don`t have the opportunity to see the 380 in the flesh, let alone in copper.  And for those with a new 380cu, those considering buying one, or those just curious, here is what happens with the copper with use and time  It hasn`t had much time, but it has had A LOT of use.  This is the demo 380cu, out on display at E-earphone in Tokyo. It`s been out for around a month; the store is open 9 hours per day, every day, and this thing has been handled, demo`d, fumbled with, man-handled, mis-handled, abused and mis-used for every one of those hours.  There is a constant presence in front of this 380cu, groups of guys taking turns plugging in their cards and `phones and mashing it.  It is filthy.  Greasy and filthy and I`m sure it has several thousand distinct DNA samples on it.  It actually looks great, IMO, and I love that AK made this thing,  I think with cleaning, it would look better.  The only disturbing area is the pink discoloration around the bottom left of the screen, visible in a couple of the pictures. I have no idea what that is or what it is from.  Anyway, enjoy.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #3,764 of 9,041
  Change of topic here people.  I am posting these pics just for peoples` interest.  A lot of headfiers around the world don`t have the opportunity to see the 380 in the flesh, let alone in copper.  And for those with a new 380cu, those considering buying one, or those just curious, here is what happens with the copper with use and time  It hasn`t had much time, but it has had A LOT of use.  This is the demo 380cu, out on display at E-earphone in Tokyo. It`s been out for around a month; the store is open 9 hours per day, every day, and this thing has been handled, demo`d, fumbled with, man-handled, mis-handled, abused and mis-used for every one of those hours.  There is a constant presence in front of this 380cu, groups of guys taking turns plugging in their cards and `phones and mashing it.  It is filthy.  Greasy and filthy and I`m sure it has several thousand distinct DNA samples on it.  It actually looks great, IMO, and I love that AK made this thing,  I think with cleaning, it would look better.  The only disturbing area is the pink discoloration around the bottom left of the screen, visible in a couple of the pictures. I have no idea what that is or what it is from.  Anyway, enjoy.

I saw this a few weeks back and I actually liked the aged antique look. However I didn't appreciate the scratches on it.

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #3,765 of 9,041

:wink:

It is beyond my imagination how one could claim such things with dry eyes. But hey, it seems Im not alone in that. Cheers buddy @ Eroica. Isnt Beethoven's Eroica his 3rd symphony by te way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back