Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 27, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #3,721 of 9,040
Thank's for the suggestions, at the moment I will leave the HD650 in the box and wait for the HE1000 to arrive.
I have to do with the high end cable design and development, that's one of the reasons why I bought the AK380 and the HE1000, I will use them for testing and developing headphone cables. 
Thank's again raypin for your help.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #3,723 of 9,040
Another Day...........

Had lots of fun today with a friend, discussing the merits of the 380Cu, over coffee, and at Jaben, Hong Kong. He managed to auditioned quite extensively, the regular AK380 with amp combo with the JH Layla for the first time.

Quad DSD., on my unit, plays wonderfully well, albeit there's a little pause to start. However, listening to the whole album drains around 25% battery. Having said that, DSD256 sounds bloody marvelous..............the richness, density, body, fluidity, tonality, sense of space and airiness is incredible!!!

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #3,724 of 9,040
Another Day...........

Had lots of fun today with a friend, discussing the merits of the 380Cu, over coffee, and at Jaben, Hong Kong. He managed to auditioned quite extensively, the regular AK380 with amp combo with the JH Layla for the first time.

Quad DSD., on my unit, plays wonderfully well, albeit there's a little pause to start. However, listening to the whole album drains around 25% battery. Having said that, DSD256 sounds bloody marvelous..............the richness, density, body, fluidity, tonality, sense of space and airiness is incredible!!!

So... how the 380cu compared with the standard 380 ? Could you hear a difference ( besides Placebo effect :wink:

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,725 of 9,040
So... how the 380cu compared with the standard 380 ? Could you hear a difference ( besides Placebo effect :wink:

Not that I can tell.  But again this is only based on memory and not actual A/B test.

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3,726 of 9,040
For the ones they want to use the EQ. After the FW update it should at last work. But take care how it works. I find something ugly regarding the EQ on the AK320 which I think is the same:
Please see post #341

What do you think about this EQ behaviour?

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #3,728 of 9,040
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding UIEMs to use with the 380+Amp combo? 

At the moment I am looking at the following:
Layla MK2
Empire ears Zeus
64 Audio U12

Anybody have experience with these UIEMs or have any other ideas? 

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #3,729 of 9,040
  Does anyone have any suggestions regarding UIEMs to use with the 380+Amp combo? 

At the moment I am looking at the following:
Layla MK2
Empire ears Zeus
64 Audio U12

Anybody have experience with these UIEMs or have any other ideas? 

I can only speak to the Empire Ears -- before USPS lost them, I owned the Empire Ears Athena.  Great SQ with a slightly extended bass line and solid, non-sibilant highs.(This was before I owned the AK380 amp). I was very happy with them.  After they were lost I decided to upgrade a little and ordered the Apollo.  I'm expecting them to arrive any day now.  Will keep you posted, but I have ever reason to believe they will be as fantastic (hopefully a little more) than the Athena.

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #3,730 of 9,040
I just bought A&K 380 an I have the Kennerton MAGISTER.
I'm looking for in ears .
what you recommend ? what is the best  to play with A&K 380 without any amplification.
If possible some IEM that I can smile for while when listen the A&K 380.
I like jazz, female voices, some blues, Classic and great soundtracks like Avalon - Kenji Kawai.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #3,731 of 9,040
  I just bought A&K 380 an I have the Kennerton MAGISTER.
I'm looking for in ears .
what you recommend ? what is the best  to play with A&K 380 without any amplification.
If possible some IEM that I can smile for while when listen the A&K 380.
I like jazz, female voices, some blues, Classic and great soundtracks like Avalon - Kenji Kawai.

Thanks in advance.

The Jerry Harveys Audio crossover Astell & Kern Full Metal Jacket Siren Series Layla II. 

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #3,735 of 9,040
Mmm.....as an alternative to the Layla, I'd recommend the Vorzuge Pure II + and the Ortofon EQ8 (well under a thousand bucks for both) to pair with any AK. Bonus: the Vorzuge Pure II + can power the big cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back