Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 2, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #3,781 of 9,041

Listened extensively this afternoon, 380Cu with the JH Layla today. Nice pairing

Going to try and audition the Layla II in the coming weeks........

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #3,783 of 9,041
Mmm......I have a Brimar cable for the Layla without the bass adjuster. Is yours adding warmth to your Zeus? My Zeus is still incoming and I'm thinking of possible cable pairing with it. How does the Brimar compare with the upgraded stock cable (Starlight?) on your Zeus?

Haven't done any extensive comparison with the stock cable TBH

My previous experience with the Brimar Monarch Supreme Reference cable is here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/792369/brimar-audio-labs-reviews-impressions

If I get time will PM you my starlight comparisons as don't want to off topic this thread

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #3,784 of 9,041
Think I will managed mine a little better than the one shown, or try too:confused_face:
Lol :) I think without the case there'll be somewhat more uniform oxidation on the Cu case. The challenge is not getting scratches during the exposed oxidation phase.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #3,785 of 9,041
I'm seriously interested in the RWAK380 Amp, but wow, the cost is more than I paid for my amp. Does it really make enough difference to make it worth it?

Hi Jazzi

I understand your question regarding the amp and expense and let me do my best to address it from my perspective. Since I'm traveling nearly 4 hours per day to and from NYC my portable rig is utilized a lot of hours. I have both the JH Layla's and lately Im using the Shure KSE 1500 with an external portable dap/Dac player SHA900. I'm trying to minimize the amount of hardware I need to lug around as it takes away from my musical enjoyment. Therefore for me the justification is if you want to take the AK 380 as far as you can sound wise with the minimal number of boxes and external equipment to carry then the upgrade makes complete sense. I have other home and portable equipment including the Cord Hugo and although the Hugo will provide a bit more power then the AK 380 amp. from my perspective the sound signature of the RWAK amp simply sounds better and it is much more convient (less equipment to lug around) . I have the AK380 in my left inner breast jacket pocket and directly below on my left side the SHA900 that is the Shure 1500 amp/dac thingy. I have the SHA900 set for bypass and 0 DB pad my external 380 amp set at 125 volume level and SHA set at the appropriate volume level I want to listen too. I purchased a custom cable that Drew from Moon Audio made for me and the pairing coupled with the integration is the best I've heard from a true portability perspective.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #3,786 of 9,041

I'm seriously interested in the RWAK380 Amp, but wow, the cost is more than I paid for my amp. Does it really make enough difference to make it worth it?

Hi Jazzi

I understand your question regarding the amp and expense and let me do my best to address it from my perspective. Since I'm traveling nearly 4 hours per day to and from NYC my portable rig is utilized a lot of hours. I have both the JH Layla's and lately Im using the shure KSE 1500 with an external portable dap/Dac player SHA900. I'm trying to minimize the amount of hardware I need to lug around as it takes away from my musical enjoyment. Therfore for me the justification is if you want the to take the AK 380 as far as you can sound wise with the minimal number of boxes and external equipment to carry then the upgrade makes complete sense. I have other home and portable equipment including the Cord Hugo and although the Hugo will provide a bit more power then the AK 380 amp. from my perspective the sound signature of the RWAK amp simply sounds better and it is much more convient (less equipment to lug around) . I have the AK380 in my left inner breast jacket pocket and directly below on my left side the SHA 900 that is the Shure 1500 amp/Dac thingy. I have the SHA 900 set for bypass and 0 DB pad my external 380 amp set at 125 volume level and SHA set at the appropriate volume level I want to listen too. I purchased a custom cable that Drew from Moon Audio made for me and the pairing coupled with the integration is the best I've heard from a true portability perspective.

I picked up the RWAK mods because I always use the balanced output from the amp and due to the negative feedback the balanced output seemed to get then I thought it may be worth a shot to get it Red Wine modded. 

Originally I sent the amp to Vinnie as a test mule to take a look at what could be done. It was interesting to find out that AK with the cost of their products is using cheap ribbon cable in the amp for the balanced output, Vinnie switches this out to high quality cable when the mod is made.

Like speedracer1 I have to use the portable setup frequently so it is nice to have a system in your pocket that sounds as good as your home setup (depending on home setup 
wink_face.gif
 )
The convenience of having the player and amp together charging through the same cable is highly convenient when on a long haul flight when carrying an external battery pack.

I mentioned a while back that the main difference I noticed with the Noble K10U was a more natural sound to the music I was listening to after the RW mods were made on the unit and amp.

Problem I have now is which IEM to replace the K10U with since I just sold them. I would love to pick up the KSE1500 but adding an extra amp defies the point of buying the RWAK setup. 
Hopefully I will be able to listen to that setup at some point then I may change my opinion on another device in my pocket.
At the moment I am putting some serious thought into either the layla 2 or the 64 Audio U12 but I haven't decided which one to take at the moment.
If anyone has experience with these I would be interested to hear what they think.

Should you get the mod.... depends what you are going to do with the setup, if you spend many hours travelling it's a no brainer to get the most out of the system.
I tried the HE1000 with the amp yesterday and was surprised how good it sounded so it could be used as a good in house source/amp if you want a minimalistic setup.

End of the day if you are happy with what you have then enjoy 
biggrin.gif
 if you want more from the system and you don't mind spending the extra outlay then the setup does have more to give.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #3,787 of 9,041

I picked up the RWAK mods because I always use the balanced output from the amp and due to the negative feedback the balanced output seemed to get then I thought it may be worth a shot to get it Red Wine modded. 

Originally I sent the amp to Vinnie as a test mule to take a look at what could be done. It was interesting to find out that AK with the cost of their products is using cheap ribbon cable in the amp for the balanced output, Vinnie switches this out to high quality cable when the mod is made.

Like speedracer1 I have to use the portable setup frequently so it is nice to have a system in your pocket that sounds as good as your home setup (depending on home setup 
wink_face.gif
 )
The convenience of having the player and amp together charging through the same cable is highly convenient when on a long haul flight when carrying an external battery pack.

I mentioned a while back that the main difference I noticed with the Noble K10U was a more natural sound to the music I was listening to after the RW mods were made on the unit and amp.

Problem I have now is which IEM to replace the K10U with since I just sold them. I would love to pick up the KSE1500 but adding an extra amp defies the point of buying the RWAK setup. 
Hopefully I will be able to listen to that setup at some point then I may change my opinion on another device in my pocket.
At the moment I am putting some serious thought into either the layla 2 or the 64 Audio U12 but I haven't decided which one to take at the moment.
If anyone has experience with these I would be interested to hear what they think.

Should you get the mod.... depends what you are going to do with the setup, if you spend many hours travelling it's a no brainer to get the most out of the system.
I tried the HE1000 with the amp yesterday and was surprised how good it sounded so it could be used as a good in house source/amp if you want a minimalistic setup.

End of the day if you are happy with what you have then enjoy 
biggrin.gif
 if you want more from the system and you don't mind spending the extra outlay then the setup does have more to give.

Hi Apina,

I did what to add some comments / considerations regarding the Layla and Layla II:  

This past November I decieded to have a custom cable made to see if I could enhance the sound of the Layla's over the stock cable supplied by JH audio.  I requested Plus Sound (located in sunny California) to build a custom balanced cable that included a 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter to eliminate the need for carrying two cables. Using direct A/B comparison testing between the custom and stock cables I can say the custom made Plus Sound cable has improved over the stock balanced and unbalanced cables.
I have not personally listened to the Plus Sounds cable side by side vs what Drew has crafted at Moon audio but based on his reputation I'm sure he has engineered a wonderful enhancement as well.  The other enhancement you may want to consider is the Snugs custom in-ear tips.  The silicon factory supplied tips, or the triple flanges I used were good but the improvement in the seal for me over any other improvement including the cable has definitely made a real difference in the sound of the Layla's.  The cost of the Snugs was $278 usd the cost of the custom Plus Sounds cable was just north of $900 usd.   

If you like the look of the Layla II you will most probably benefit from some level of sound improvement because of the Moon audio enhancement over the original Layla's.  For me personally the original look of the Layla's hand fabricated are really beautiful earpieces and I believe you can opt for the Moon audio cable to provide you with the same lift in sound.   

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio,
-Speed

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #3,788 of 9,041
What can I say about the AK380Cu. Having own the unit for a few weeks now, it seems appropriate to write a short review.  

I, honestly, believe the Cu is the best portable player on the market, bar none and that includes the regular 380. It really is that good! Astell & Kern has really hit the sweet spot with this player, especially on fw 1.23. 

It is the first time I have encountered a portable player that has such a natural presentation. All genre of music emanates from it with such fluidity, density and is absolutely non-fatiguing sounding. This is achieved not by dumbing down, since the Cu is incredibly detailed, and the old adage, that "I am hearing details on the recording that I have never heard before" holds true.  

Timbre, texture and tonal balance are portrayed beautifully and probably due to how well the Cu handles the delivery of notes - leading edges, body and decay. All instruments have great realism and easily identifiable. Vocals are delivered with phrasing, intonations and inflections that is just simply easier to hear.

The most impressive part of the 380Cu for me, is how well it does in unravelling complex music especially, classical pieces and providing an insight into the music, and then allowing the interplay between the different sections or instruments to really come through. This is, I believe, when the musicianship comes through and whether an orchestra or band or vocalist shines with their abilities.

There has never been the occasion where I think let’s try whether it will sound better plugged into a portable amp, and I have many of those (20plus), from the two Analogue Square Paper to a Meier and back to Mass Kobo. It is just near perfect for my lifestyle and usage. I listened for 6 1/2 non-stop with the exception of going through immigration, door to door from the Grand Hyatt Singapore to my home in Hong Kong in a recent trip for CanJam in Singapore. My ears never felt tired, and probably less so than using CX’s phones to watch a movie and listening to engine noise.

The 380Cu has great synergy with the majority of In-Ears I have in my possession and what I have listened to at stores. It always sounds very pleasant and perhaps its performance is at times limited according to transducers used. It is very capable at throwing a very realistic head space with good definition in the x, y, z axis, as well as, good sizing and body to instruments. The Cu has good grip and control of bass reproduction allowing a very tuneful and tactile rhythm to underpin the music. There is a great sense of airiness to the presentation with every instrument having its own space. 

The only criticism is that I feel the price of 380Cu is rather high and that it is not quite so accessible to everyone. However, for me, the enjoyment I have gained from the Cu is immense and I can’t wait to travel again to Singapore next week, followed perhaps by a trip to Europe, and then in April Tokyo for the Fujiya Avic show. Must remember to bring a battery pack if the plane doesn’t have a usb charger in the seat for long hauls.

All in all, one of the most enjoyable products in this hobby that I have owned.... 

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #3,789 of 9,041
  What can I say about the AK380Cu. Having own the unit for a few weeks now, it seems appropriate to write a short review.  

I, honestly, believe the Cu is the best portable player on the market, bar none and that includes the regular 380. It really is that good! Astell & Kern has really hit the sweet spot with this player, especially on fw 1.23. 

It is the first time I have encountered a portable player that has such a natural presentation. All genre of music emanates from it with such fluidity, density and is absolutely non-fatiguing sounding. This is achieved not by dumbing down, since the Cu is incredibly detailed, and the old adage, that "I am hearing details on the recording that I have never heard before" holds true.  

Timbre, texture and tonal balance are portrayed beautifully and probably due to how well the Cu handles the delivery of notes - leading edges, body and decay. All instruments have great realism and easily identifiable. Vocals are delivered with phrasing, intonations and inflections that is just simply easier to hear.

The most impressive part of the 380Cu for me, is how well it does in unravelling complex music especially, classical pieces and providing an insight into the music, and then allowing the interplay between the different sections or instruments to really come through. This is, I believe is when the musicianship comes through and whether an orchestra or band or vocalist shines with their abilities.

There has never been the occasion where I think let’s try whether it will sound better plugged into a portable amp, and I have many of those (20plus), from the two Analogue Square Paper to a Meier and back to Mass Kobo. It is just near perfect for my lifestyle and usage. I listened for 6 1/2 non-stop with the exception of going through immigration, door to door from the Grand Hyatt Singapore to my home in Hong Kong in a recent trip for CanJam in Singapore. My ears never felt tired, and probably less so than using CX’s phones to watch a movie and listening to engine noise.

The 380Cu has great synergy with the majority of In-Ears I have in my possession and what I have listened to at stores. It always sounds very pleasant and perhaps its performance is at times limited according to transducers used. It is very capable at throwing a very realistic head space with good definition in the x, y, z axis, as well as, good sizing and body to instruments. The Cu has good grip and control of bass reproduction allowing a very tuneful and tactile rhythm to underpin the music. There is a great sense of airiness to the presentation with every instrument having its own space. 

The only criticism is that I feel the price of 380Cu is rather high and that it is not quite so accessible to everyone. However, for me, the enjoyment I have gained from the Cu is immense and I can’t wait to travel again to Singapore next week, followed perhaps by a trip to Europe, and then in April Tokyo for the Fujiya Avic show. Must remember to bring a battery pack if the plane doesn’t have a usb charger in the seat.

All in all, one of the most enjoyable products in this hobby that I have owned.... 

mmm......fair review. Agree. For iems, the cu, bar none, can make it shine. Even a mid-tier iem like the Ortofon EQ8 (this iem makes me question my wisdom of spending multiple thousands for totl iems/ciems) pairs wonderfully well. Just how good? Listening to the Star Wars The Force Awakens soundtracks is a totally engaging experience.  Now about the price.....it just got more expensive. Add 999 for the privelege of owning the cu amp. I hope it brings something new to the table and not just a 380 amp in copper chassis.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #3,790 of 9,041

mmm......fair review. Agree. Now about the price.....it just got more expensive. Add 999 for the privelege of owning the cu amp. I hope it brings something new to the table and not just a 380 amp in copper chassis.

I am a little tentative about the copper amp too, albeit I have a unit reserved for me.

My main concern would be, "if there's any improvement in sonics whether it is worth the increase in weight" at least for portable usage. Plus the fact that I'll hazard a guess that there is not going to be the opportunity to audition beforehand...

We shall see in the coming weeks.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #3,791 of 9,041

I am a little tentative about the copper amp too, albeit I have a unit reserved for me.

My main concern would be, "if there's any improvement in sonics whether it is worth the increase in weight" at least for portable usage. Plus the fact that I'll hazard a guess that there is not going to be the opportunity to audition beforehand...

We shall see in the coming weeks.

I think the same and would just be too heavy for me for portability - so im passing on the copper amp - which is limited to 100 units I heard

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #3,792 of 9,041

mmm.....re: tarnishing and cleaning of the cu. Since getting my cu last January 27, I've settled down on my routine of using metal polish and alcohol to restore the cu to mint condition . Just did this now and no tarnishing, at least for the next couple of days. No big deal. It just means the cu needs more TLC than the regular AK 380 (and other AKs).

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #3,793 of 9,041
mmm......in my case, I'd like to try the cu amp  and see if it will be enough for my headphones and weight is not really an overiding concern  since I use the heavy but excellent CDM with the cu. The combined weight and heft  does not bother me for my on-the-go listening.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #3,794 of 9,041
Hi Guys,

Apologies if I'm out of line within this thread but I thought this might be the best place to ask a related question..

I'm looking to sell my AK380 and I got a buyer that is interested but is worried about warranty coverage...

Does anyone know what the coverage would be for second owners of these units? or how second owners usually manage their warranty claims?

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #3,795 of 9,041
  Hi Guys,

Apologies if I'm out of line within this thread but I thought this might be the best place to ask a related question..

I'm looking to sell my AK380 and I got a buyer that is interested but is worried about warranty coverage...

Does anyone know what the coverage would be for second owners of these units? or how second owners usually manage their warranty claims?

Hi biglemoncoke,

I'm only familiar with USA warranty and the answer relative to USA is the warranty is non-transferable to a second owner even if the original owner has warranty remaining from the original purchase period.  You need to locate your physical warranty card as it should articulate the details but I suspect this condition may be similar.

Sincerely,
-Speed 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back