Astell&Kern AK380
May 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #811 of 9,041
Thanks for photos, does the 901S has OLED screen? How fast is the start up,wondering how it compares to Paw SQ,size,weight.

I am not sure about the screen, I didn't ask  - but the handling and UI has still got the ipod-like approach - so I guess the answer is rather a "probably not".
The boot up was realy, realyl fast - I'd say 3-5 seconds or so. I cannot say about the Pax as I don't know it.
Sizewise I#d say it is probably about 30 % larger (height) than the old AK100, but comparably thicker. I guess the dimensions stayed pretty much the same as with the 901. This would also make a lot of sense if they really want to offer to transfer your old 901 interior into the new 901S shell.  The exterior by the way is made from aluminium.
Though they reconstructed  the volume knob I still don't like it much - I think there are better solutions out there. It is difficult to operate with just one hand  - at least that is what I felt.
Soundwise I really found it convincing - it drove a HD800 on maybe 60-70% of its power and the SQ was very good in this environment.

May 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #812 of 9,041
Quote:
Hey guys, listening to my new k10s. Just wanted to say they are good but not as good as I was expecting. Definitely not worth their asking price.

Which cable are you using? I have the sock, customized hand-made stock balanced, and the Double Helix Cables Symbiote Fusion 4 And Symbiote SP 8 cable. IMHO you really need to change cables to get the best from them. The Fusion 4 is very good for smoothness and harmonic (jazz, classical, etc), whereas the Symbiote SP 8 is a touch brighter and rock bottom bass so great for EDM, Dubstep, etc. JMHO.

May 23, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #813 of 9,041
  Well - I listened to the 380 in Munich

as well as to the AK100 Jr, 

the Hifiman 901S,

the new X5

and the Questyle QPr1 Prototype. 

(Sorry for the Picture quality - I only had my cell phone with me)

I do not have a 240 but an old modded AK100 (first edition - modded to 0 Ohm) so I cannot do A to B with the 380.

I listened to the 380 with Laylas and Angies because JHA shared the booth with AK. Honestly speaking I cannot judge the 380 as I just couldn't get a good seal with the Layla or the Angie. 
I did like what I heard but I also must say that I was really impresed by the sound quality of the 901S (and the Questyle). Hifiman to me is an example for a company generating products for audiophiles and also keeping their "older" customers (Meaning customers who have been with them for a while and using older products) highly valued.  Why?
As far as I have been told the 901S has been designed in such a way that You can use your existing amp cards from the older model in the 901S. Also they plan to offer the 901 customers a possibility to get their 901 "reshelled" to the new design. I think this is good customes service and worth mentioning! Also the 901S will accept 1 SD Card and uses 2 ESS 9018 DAC chips. The battery life may be too short - they say it can play up to 9 hours. It could drive the new HE1000 to very satisfying levels and with authority. This combination was very tempting.

The 901S together with its dock will cost less than or around 2000 Euro. (and I think it looks much better - than the old 901 though not good yet) 

The Questyle QP1 will be available on the market in some weeks - They will improve the scroll wheel and the somewhat fiddly volume button before. The UI and the handling is very much ipod like but it was receptive and fast.
This player will also be very competitive, I believe. It sounded fantastic, and was even able to drive a HD800 though I believe it will still sound better with an amp. Afaik the price will be around 600 Euro for the kower end model and 900 Euro for the QP1R. They claim to use a pure class A circuitry and use a patented "Current Mode Amplification". Impedance will be 0,19 Ohm and it plays DSD up to DSD128. it will have a 3.5 '' combined optical and line out and a 3.5'' headphone output. It will have only 16 GB Storage on board but accept 2 MicroSD cards (up to 128 GB). The battery is a 3.300 mAh, 3.7 V LiPo unit.   
It will be produced by Foxconn so we can expect a quality build.

The X5 II now also employs the new design of the X3 II and X1 - so they all look very similar now.
I believe there was no change regarding the interior qualities of the player.

A player that surprised me soundwise was the AK Junior - I must say this DAP sounded very very good for its price position inside AK - I was not able to hear differences between the AK100 II and the Junior- but of course in difficult listening  conditions.

And for those who are interested in completely new stuff - there was a new Player Prototype from a company named Consonnance (The Opera Audio) - the  Suzanne.  It supports up to 32 bit -384 kHz, plays basically all file types and especially DSD natively (they said so). Unfortunately it only offers one TF Card (that's what they write) up to 128 GB. It sounded very good - but there were no tracks that I knew well enough to compare and I had no card with me.

This player is pretty huge - felt more like a brick in my hands and also weighs more than 300 gr. Definitely not for the pocket - but I think this is a promising start, maybe there will be more interesting players from this company

Well - I listened to the 380 in Munich

as well as to the AK100 Jr, 

the Hifiman 901S,

the new X5

and the Questyle QPr1 Prototype. 

(Sorry for the Picture quality - I only had my cell phone with me)

I do not have a 240 but an old modded AK100 (first edition - modded to 0 Ohm) so I cannot do A to B with the 380.

I listened to the 380 with Laylas and Angies because JHA shared the booth with AK. Honestly speaking I cannot judge the 380 as I just couldn't get a good seal with the Layla or the Angie. 
I did like what I heard but I also must say that I was really impresed by the sound quality of the 901S (and the Questyle). Hifiman to me is an example for a company generating products for audiophiles and also keeping their "older" customers (Meaning customers who have been with them for a while and using older products) highly valued.  Why?
As far as I have been told the 901S has been designed in such a way that You can use your existing amp cards from the older model in the 901S. Also they plan to offer the 901 customers a possibility to get their 901 "reshelled" to the new design. I think this is good customes service and worth mentioning! Also the 901S will accept 1 SD Card and uses 2 ESS 9018 DAC chips. The battery life may be too short - they say it can play up to 9 hours. It could drive the new HE1000 to very satisfying levels and with authority. This combination was very tempting.

The 901S together with its dock will cost less than or around 2000 Euro. (and I think it looks much better - than the old 901 though not good yet) 

The Questyle QP1 will be available on the market in some weeks - They will improve the scroll wheel and the somewhat fiddly volume button before. The UI and the handling is very much ipod like but it was receptive and fast.
This player will also be very competitive, I believe. It sounded fantastic, and was even able to drive a HD800 though I believe it will still sound better with an amp. Afaik the price will be around 600 Euro for the kower end model and 900 Euro for the QP1R. They claim to use a pure class A circuitry and use a patented "Current Mode Amplification". Impedance will be 0,19 Ohm and it plays DSD up to DSD128. it will have a 3.5 '' combined optical and line out and a 3.5'' headphone output. It will have only 16 GB Storage on board but accept 2 MicroSD cards (up to 128 GB). The battery is a 3.300 mAh, 3.7 V LiPo unit.   
It will be produced by Foxconn so we can expect a quality build.

The X5 II now also employs the new design of the X3 II and X1 - so they all look very similar now.
I believe there was no change regarding the interior qualities of the player.

A player that surprised me soundwise was the AK Junior - I must say this DAP sounded very very good for its price position inside AK - I was not able to hear differences between the AK100 II and the Junior- but of course in difficult listening  conditions.

And for those who are interested in completely new stuff - there was a new Player Prototype from a company named Consonnance (The Opera Audio) - the  Suzanne.  It supports up to 32 bit -384 kHz, plays basically all file types and especially DSD natively (they said so). Unfortunately it only offers one TF Card (that's what they write) up to 128 GB. It sounded very good - but there were no tracks that I knew well enough to compare and I had no card with me.

This player is pretty huge - felt more like a brick in my hands and also weighs more than 300 gr. Definitely not for the pocket - but I think this is a promising start, maybe there will be more interesting players from this company

Thanks for that review.  FWIW, you gave me that slight push from X5II to QP1r that I needed.
I promise not to post here again as I'm not in the market for A&K.  Love reading this thread.

May 24, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #816 of 9,041
Being a long term non-believer in what a DAP can bring in its own right, having just received a Sony ZX2, am bowled over by what it can do - unamped, un-Hugo'd, this is bringing a new element to me :)

...As such, ignoring price point, I would love to see, well.,.. no, HEAR what the AK380 brings to the very top of the tree, compared to where I am now...

May 24, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #818 of 9,041
FitEar isn't demanding. JH (at least Layla's), I was listening around the 90-102 vol setting on the AK380 whilst my MH335DW-SR was around the 80.

90-102 
blink.gif
Isn't that quite loud.... I am running my JH Custom Roxanne's at around 32 vol on my AK240 and even that seems too loud to me from time to time...

May 24, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #819 of 9,041

Amazingly loud to me. I run my AK240 usually @ 45 with the AK TP5p headphones.
I discovered actually that I listen at much lower volumes with my DAP with good quality files,
than in the past with my iPod and lousy MP3 files.

May 24, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #820 of 9,041
90-102 :blink: ...

Isn't that quite loud.... I am running my JH Custom Roxanne's at around 32 vol on my AK240 and even that seems too loud to me from time to time...
Remember (as mentioned earlier in the thread) the AK380 has done away with 0.5 increments.

May 24, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #821 of 9,041
Remember (as mentioned earlier in the thread) the AK380 has done away with 0.5 increments.

Still, wouldn't that mean that the volume will be around 45/50 vol. compared to the AK240's 0.5 vol. increments...
For CIEM's, I guess thats quite high... (for me personally :) )

Anyway, quite off-topic:)

Let's bring on the lush about the 380 so that I can feel bad about my savings afterwards!

May 24, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #824 of 9,041

Mmm I always have mine at 32.5...

May 24, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #825 of 9,041

Still, wouldn't that mean that the volume will be around 45/50 vol. compared to the AK240's 0.5 vol. increments...
For CIEM's, I guess thats quite high... (for me personally :) )

Anyway, quite off-topic:)

Let's bring on the lush about the 380 so that I can feel bad about my savings afterwards!

Mmm I always have mine at 32.5...

Sorry if my post wasn't clear. The AK380 doesn't do 0.5 steps anymore. The AK380 does full integer increases. However I have a feeling it's still not "like for like", (i.e. I don't think AK240's 40 is AK380's 80, nor is Ak240's 50 equates to AK380's 100).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back