Astell&Kern AK380
May 26, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #826 of 9,041
Why would anyone trust their hard-earned money on a company that can't be bothered returning at least an email when one reports a problem and only wants to get a warranty replacement.  I've been stuck with Angies less than 3 weeks old who's right mid drivers died.  Apparently, I have to go to A&K for replacement.
I've heard many posts about JHA's 'great' service and now A&K? 

May 26, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #827 of 9,041
If you're in the USA western hemisphere, call this number: (949) 336-4540/4541.  That's iRiver's USA office North/South American HQ in California.  They are processing an RMA for my AK100II at present, and have been very responsive.  It's not over yet, but so far it's been one of the most well-handled RMA's I've ever dealt with.

May 26, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #828 of 9,041
  If you're in the USA, call this number: (949) 336-4540/4541.  That's iRiver's USA office in California.  They are processing an RMA for my AK100II at present, and have been very responsive.  It's not over yet, but so far it's been one of the most well-handled RMA's I've ever dealt with.

Thanks.  I wonder if they cover Canada as well?  I'll try that number and see.
Update!  I just talked to a gentleman named Tim if I remember.  He's going to get in touch with my dealer and help.  Maybe, they're more helpful than I thought.
Again, thanks for the Ph. number.

May 26, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #829 of 9,041

Thanks.  I wonder if they cover Canada as well?  I'll try that number and see.

I was just revising my post since I snooped your profile and saw you were in Ontario.  That office apparently covers "America", north and south.  

They operate on pacific time so call them right now, they should be open.

May 26, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #831 of 9,041
  I have their email too for anyone who needs it.

I was just wondering what the correct support email address was, since there are a few different versions on their website.  I didn't get a response when I emailed them, but was helped very quickly and efficiently once I spoke to someone on the phone.  I have a direct contact for the rep who's helping me, but would you post the general address if you have it?

May 26, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #832 of 9,041
  I was just wondering what the correct support email address was, since there are a few different versions on their website.  I didn't get a response when I emailed them, but was helped very quickly and efficiently once I spoke to someone on the phone.  I have a direct contact for the rep who's helping me, but would you post the general address if you have it?

Check PM and best of luck.

May 26, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #833 of 9,041
  Why would anyone trust their hard-earned money on a company that can't be bothered returning at least an email when one reports a problem and only wants to get a warranty replacement.  I've been stuck with Angies less than 3 weeks old who's right mid drivers died.  Apparently, I have to go to A&K for replacement.
I've heard many posts about JHA's 'great' service and now A&K? 

Going to AK for this makes perfect sense, oops I should have read on before posting..

May 27, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #837 of 9,041
I prefer a heavier device, I like the weight of my zx2,feels sturdy.

Oh come on...

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but, to this onlooker, it doesn't hold water. A device definitely does not need to be heavier in order to feel 'sturdy'.

Don't get me wrong - AK380 is not the heaviest DAP on the market, and I acknowledge that.

But a truly portable device (as opposed to 'trans-portable') hardly deserves merit for being heavy, or 'heavier'.

I used to own iBasso's DX100 (265g, iirc), and it was a nightmare to carry in a pocket - not just because of it's size but it's mass/weight was utterly obnoxious, wobbling around in a pocket, back-&-forth, to the extent that it drew unwelcome glances from passers-by.

I therefore contend that an increase in weight, from one iteration of a device to the next, is hardly a good thing in a device marketed for portable use.

But the AK380 is being marketed as part of an extended ecosystem, with desktop CD drive and bulky amp module, and that muddies the water a bit, since it tends to lead it more in the direction of being marketed as a 'trans-portable' device (much like an i-stack), as opposed to it's predecessor which was both more balanced in the hand (not top-heavy), and somewhat smaller and lighter. So, the increase in bulk, if nothing else, may serve to differentiate it's potential customer base from that of the AK100/120/240, I suppose.

Perhaps that may serve as some consolation for customers who have invested substantial sums in the AK100/120/240.

May 27, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #838 of 9,041
People who can afford this device don't have pockets, and they hire people to carry stuff for them 
tongue.gif

May 27, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #839 of 9,041
May 27, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #840 of 9,041
Mython- I said to me, a heavier device feels sturdy. Didn't want to spark a whole debate on it. My ZX2 feels heavier than my AK240, and that's what I prefer, that's all. I'm not sure of the weight of the zx2, but I like how it feels in my hand.

I also don't consider it to be heavy, although it is heavier than my AK240.

I'm not asking for it to be heavy, just a little more substance in my hand, for me is a good thing.

I just Googled the weight of the zx2, it's 235g. I think that's an ideal weight.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back