Astell&Kern AK380
May 15, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #422 of 9,041

I appreciate that it might be an uncomfortable question for them to answer, but it's a totally legitimate question that they should answer, if they're profiting from it as an expensive optional addition to an already insanely-overpriced DAP.

There is nothing uncomfortable for them to answer. It's obvious what their answer will be :-

#2 "Does the amp card improve sound quality?"

Any answer other than "yes" would be economic suicide. Would you seriously expect them to say "No it won't improve sound quality but we'll still charge you $$$ for it" in front of the press!? Then I question the motive of this audience pressing AK to answer that question.

May 15, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #425 of 9,041
  Well how much better does the AK380 sound over the AK240 then both with Amp and without?

without 43.7%

with 62.4%

May 15, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #426 of 9,041
  Well how much better does the AK380 sound over the AK240 then both with Amp and without?

That's a better question. It'll be along the lines of what part does the amp board play in the AK380 set? Which gap the target market do you feel the amp board fills?

May 15, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #427 of 9,041

That's a better question. It'll be along the lines of what part does the amp board play in the AK380 set? Which gap the target market do you feel the amp board fills?

something concrete would be the output, especially current and/or power

May 15, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #428 of 9,041

without 43.7%

with 62.4%

I don't think so,but we'll see..

Just asking;did you compare them?

May 15, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #429 of 9,041

I don't think so,but we'll see..

Just asking;did you compare them?

of course not.  this was a joke.  sorry that wasn't clear.  i considered adding an emoji, but in general don't care for them.  

we have no objective measures of sound quality and we know that preferences vary from individual to individual.  some of these differences will be recognized as subjective preference for a certain signature, but some of the differences people will assert represent quality, per se.   aside from measurable distortion or noise, or deviation from a previously agreed upon optimal frequency response curve [good iuck], we can point to this quality or that as preferable, but there will never be an answer to "how much better?"

we could say that one measure would be the resale value of mint condition items in the secondary market, but that assumes that money is equally valuable to all potential buyers, which we know is not true. further, it overlooks non-sound-quality factors that might influence desirability [build, battery time, form factor, individual usage pattern and so on].

further, people here usually don't even mention how they'd be listening [what 'phones] let alone what they'd be listening to [what music].  you'd think those things might make a difference in how you'd perceive sound quality.

so the question "how much better" doesn't make any sense to me at all.

May 15, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #431 of 9,041
  of course not.  this was a joke.  sorry that wasn't clear.  i considered adding an emoji, but in general don't care for them.  

we have no objective measures of sound quality and we know that preferences vary from individual to individual.  some of these differences will be recognized as subjective preference for a certain signature, but some of the differences people will assert represent quality, per se.   aside from measurable distortion or noise, or deviation from a previously agreed upon optimal frequency response curve [good iuck], we can point to this quality or that as preferable, but there will never be an answer to "how much better?"

we could say that one measure would be the resale value of mint condition items in the secondary market, but that assumes that money is equally valuable to all potential buyers, which we know is not true. further, it overlooks non-sound-quality factors that might influence desirability [build, battery time, form factor, individual usage pattern and so on].

further, people here usually don't even mention how they'd be listening [what 'phones] let alone what they'd be listening to [what music].  you'd think those things might make a difference in how you'd perceive sound quality.

so the question "how much better" doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Understood.

I think it won't be much better,maybe it will be same quality with my RWAK.

240 was good product and upgrade after 120(old),when it released.But this time A&K jokes I guess.

Just different dacs and different concept.Other things are same with 240.

May 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #432 of 9,041
WOW,

I use to think, "who the hell would pay $80 for USB CD-ROM?" when I saw the Apple superdrive. What do you think AK's CD-ROM will go for? I predict at least $299. A few more comments:
  1. SACD ripping - don't even bother asking if the AK drive will support native DSD ripping because there is no legal way for manufacturers to support it since it requires breaking the DRM encryption.
  2. I would say an "SS" version is not likely unless the amp module will also come in an SS version. Besides the aesthetics issue, wouldn't a duralumin amp case basically negate/degrade the SS benefits of the player?
  3. Tidal or Qobuz streaming support - per my post in the AK240 forum, I find this highly unlikely unless both Tidal and Qobuz agree to some royalty payments to AK. If there is no financial incentive to AK, the support isn't coming imho. Seriously, will anyone on the fence of buying $3500 DAP going to say "screw it, no deal cause it won't stream Tidal"? Or put it another way, how happy  will the AK execs be knowing that each AK player they sell is a free $20 per month revenue to Tidal and they get nothing for it? Now Qobuz direct download of music purchases is a different scenario. I'm sure AK gets a revenue share of each sale.
  4. The notion of the AK380 being the main component of a high end home system with the dock, DLNA, and remote app control is only going to appeal to a very small segment of AK380 buyers. Why? Ask Apple, Microsoft, and Sony how their dreams of "owning the center of home entertainment" is going. As soon as you add a non AK component to the system, you start losing the integrated functionality like needing multiple remotes. There is a reason why there are loads of DLNA clients and players and each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.

May 15, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #433 of 9,041
  AnakChan,

I would like to add the question.  How is AK380 handle the ground noise comparing to AK240 and AK240SS?  Especially Balance port problem we see in many models. 

Ground noise on the AK240 balanced out?

Ground noise on the AK240SS balanced out is plug dependent, not really an AK fault.

May 15, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #434 of 9,041
so guys lets have some fun, how much do u think that ak should price the ak380 instead of the high rocket price they plan to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back