Are the VMODA M-100 Bassy? Plus other headphones
Nov 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sneaglebob

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-fiers

I have waited until the release of many basshead cans for me to write a question thread and I'm currently interested in the Sennheiser Momentum, the M-100 and the MDR-1. Does anyone have any feedback regarding their sound quality? Since probably everyone in headfi already knows what headphones i'm comparing it to i'm not going to bother to mention them. Thanks guys!

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Hello Head-fiers

I have waited until the release of many basshead cans for me to write a question thread and I'm currently interested in the Sennheiser Momentum, the M-100 and the MDR-1. Does anyone have any feedback regarding their sound quality? Since probably everyone in headfi already knows what headphones i'm comparing it to i'm not going to bother to mention them. Thanks guys!

Heya,

None of them are what I would consider "basshead" headphones. They're merely slightly warmer than neutral headphones.

If you want bassy, consider:

Beyer DT770, Beyer DT990
Ultrasone HFI 580, PRO 750, PRO 900
Sony XB500, XB700
M-Audio Q40
Vmoda LP2
Denon D2000/D600
AudioTechnica A900X
Shure SRH750 DJ

Very best,

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Quote:
Hello Head-fiers

Heya,

None of them are what I would consider "basshead" headphones. They're merely slightly warmer than neutral headphones.

Psh, you crazy? the M100's are fart cannons.

They're good fart cannons though, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 11
They are not fart cannons. They're good headphones that yes, are  warmer tone towards bass. and not to mention you could literally run them over with a car and they would live. V-moda's are really good for electronic music so I would go for those (regarding bass). But no one can beat the sony xp-500's in bass

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
But no one can beat the sony xp-500's in bass

... just... no. 

Have you not heard of the Audez'e LCD-2? The Beyerdynamic DT1350? 

God, even my Pro/4AAA has better bass than the XB-500, and they're almost 40 years old. The XB-500 is VERY bad; the low end is muddy, boomy, and sloppy, and bleeds into the other ranges. Not to mention they have no detail and sucky treble.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
... just... no. 

God, even my Pro/4AAA has better bass than the XB-500, and they're almost 40 years old. The XB-500 is VERY bad; the low end is muddy, boomy, and sloppy, and bleeds into the other ranges. Not to mention they have no detail and sucky treble.

He was obviously referring to bass quantity/impact/power which XB500 is hard to beat at. Quality? NO but it does a decent job for the quantity it packs and for what it costs, could be a lot worse.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Quote:
... just... no. 

He was obviously referring to bass quantity/impact/power which XB500 is hard to beat at. Quality? NO but it does a decent job for the quantity it packs and for what it costs, could be a lot worse.

The 4AAA is absolutely thundering. It has lots of slam and impact while still being detailed and controlled. They go for about $50 on ebay.

That's not the point anyways, he also forgot the XB-1000. Or the XB-700. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 11
Not sure how much this contributes, but I found the XB1000s to be very muddy when compared to my DT770/80s.
The LP2, Q40 and MK700IIs look interesting.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
yea well the xb-500 is/was a legend, and it's still frequently talked about, so obviously there must be an appeal to the headphones

Legend? Not sure where you pulled that statement from. Perhaps your posterior region?

Frequently talked about? So are Beats, doesn't mean they're good. The M50 is talked up a lot too, and most of that is hype.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back