Are "horns" on headband of new Beyerdynamic Dt990 32ohm normal? (w/ pics)
Mar 30, 2011 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

chemist323

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
-I just received my brand new Dt990 (from reputable website) today and they had these strange horn looking bumps on the headband.  It looks like there is something "popping" out of the band.  Is this normal? The headband does not have a smooth curve.
-Also, is the yoke on the 32ohm supposed to be blue (mine came in silver)?  I believe I've read somewhere that the 32ohm was in blue. 

Thanks for your help.  I will not be happy if I have to return the headphones and have to wait another 2 weeks for them.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 38
I think the "horns" are normal. I'll take a photo of my 880 when I get home from work for you.

Btw which part is the yoke that you're referring to? The Beyers are all black/silver as far as I know--any colour variations would mean they were custom-ordered through the "Manufaktur" site.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 38
-okay, the "horns" looked a little odd to me.  suprisingly though, the "horns" themselves aren't symmetric so I thought that was also odd. 
-the yoke is the blue portion in the picture below:
Thanks for your help.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 38
-so sounds like the "horns" are normal despite the "horns" themselves being unsymmetrical (one side is definitely bigger than the other)?  
-Is it also normal to hear a popping noise when the metal arms that go into the headband twist?

I figured that for the money spent I would have a smooth symmetical headband.  Obviously the sound they produce is whats more important but
the look also matters.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 38
maybe u didnt button down the leather part of your DT990 properly?? Happens with my DT770 PRO lol...well for the popping noise...that i cant really comment about...no popping noise from my beyers...only like once every usage [cause i hardly use them now]

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 38
That is definitely NOT normal. The metal band under the headband cushion is bent.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #11 of 38
Those 'horns' are NORMAL. You will only see them that prominently when your headband is completely retracted.

Those horns are the metal headband adjustment. I would know because I've owned all three Premium Beyers (770, 880, 990) and opened the DT770 to see what those were.

Extend the headband completely and watch the horns disappear.

People on here are sure paranoid.

Unless you have a very small head, you shouldn't have any reason to retract the Beyers THAT much, stretching the pad like that.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 38
I think it's a pretty valid reason to be paranoid. They look dreadful.

Quote:
Those 'horns' are NORMAL. You will only see them that prominently when your headband is completely retracted.

Those horns are the metal headband adjustment. I would know because I've owned all three Premium Beyers (770, 880, 990) and opened the DT770 to see what those were.

Extend the headband completely and watch the horns disappear.

People on here are sure paranoid.

Unless you have a very small head, you shouldn't have any reason to retract the Beyers THAT much, stretching the pad like that.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 38
Yes but not even with standard use would they retract that far in. You have to force them to retract that last bit, which is what that picture suggests he did. Its ALL the way retracted. If OP played with the adjustment a little he would have realized that the horns are tied to how extended his headphone is. The Beyers do NOT retract that far without some effort. None of the three Beyers I owned go that far in so easily.

Even the website image has SOME extension showed, which is why the horns don't show. There shouldn't be a reason to hide that part of the metal that splits the metal to the yoke unless you're a micro head.

Extend it a little enough for it to not show the horns. Voila.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Extend the headband completely and watch the horns disappear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes but not even with standard use would they retract that far in. You have to force them to retract that last bit, which is what that picture suggests he did. Its ALL the way retracted. If OP played with the adjustment a little he would have realized that the horns are tied to how extended his headphone is. The Beyers do NOT retract that far without some effort. None of the three Beyers I owned go that far in so easily.

Even the website image has SOME extension showed, which is why the horns don't show. There shouldn't be a reason to hide that part of the metal that splits the metal to the yoke unless you're a micro head.

Extend it a little enough for it to not show the horns. Voila.

-I actually pulled them out of the box like this, I didn't force them to the fully retracted position. 
-When I fully extend them, the metal portion found underneath the "horn" (when fully retratcted) is no longer there.  However, the headband keeps the "horn" shape.  Maybe it will take time for this to flatten out?
- Any thoughts on why the yoke is silver v. blue?  Below is a picture from another member whose Yoke is blue (ordered from eBay, not via Manufaktur) in the last month.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 38
Last "paranoid" question: did beyerdynamic stop using the leather carrying case?  I got a nylon case with mine even though the outside of the Beyer box states it should be a leather carrying case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back