Are Grado's really that uncomfortable?
Sep 19, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #32 of 140
I thought they were ? till I got my wife some Denon 1001 then realized how they are not that comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif

they are not as bad as some I imagine but not what I call comfortable ? I wear glasses and they push in to much my older donut pads were much better than the cover type replacements ? so might get some donuts again ?

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #34 of 140
I had a stock pair of SR60s for a while and didn't feel good at all, almost like sandpaper on my ears.

Sep 20, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #37 of 140

Quote:
ohh yeaa. the pain is not from clamping or from the band. Its all from the sandpaper-like pads. at the end of the day, i feel like a layer of skin has been rubbed off.

This is the complete opposite for me. My pain comes from the touching for the driver grilles on my ears (I wasn't wearing them properly). If I allow the actual pads to touch the back of my ears, the pain goes away. Sure, the sandpaper-like pads are sorta uncomfortable, but I didn't mind. They are indeed above average in comfort if you wear them properly, with little pain.

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #38 of 140

Quote:
This is the complete opposite for me. My pain comes from the touching for the driver grilles on my ears (I wasn't wearing them properly). If I allow the actual pads to touch the back of my ears, the pain goes away. Sure, the sandpaper-like pads are sorta uncomfortable, but I didn't mind. They are indeed above average in comfort if you wear them properly, with little pain.

Wait so the driver grilles aren't supposed to touch your ears? 

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #39 of 140
Derp.
If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it, lol.

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #41 of 140
Grab some cotton felt from Michael's.  Pennies per sheet.

Then
3456456.jpg

You shouldn't get anymore discomfort that way, hopefully, plus a bit more bass.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #42 of 140

Quote:

that was actually my finding too, when I first got my grado sr80i, I decided to try out the quarter mod and I made the holes way too big and after using them for less than a hour, my ears were extremely irritated, just today, I went out and bought a new pair of pads for $10 and guess what, problem solved, no more pain

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #43 of 140
Does anyone make any upgraded velour pads for the SR-60 or 80? Probably not, but it'd be nice.
There HAS to be something that would fit them. Too bad I can't make any. I haven't operated a sewing machine since I was 12.
Seems like it would be an easy project though.
I haven't put mine in the washer yet, but maybe i'll try that soon.

Sep 21, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #44 of 140
Thats odd, I never had any problems with mine...the pressure is light, the headphones are light, and yes, the bare pads do have a rough texture to them...but that doesn't bother me...since I don't go grinding my ears on them. lol

I guess you need to try them out first. I personally think that they're quite comfy.
Bose is the most comfortable. Sadly, that's about it. I will never buy another BOSE equipment ever again. 

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #45 of 140

Quote:

After you commented this, I re-evaluated the way i was wearing the grados. and you're right, its not the pad that sands my ears down, its from the rough grill. but theres no other way i can wear it, i cant wear it without the grill rubbing my ears off. i think the pads need to be deeper if theres any chance of the pads touching the back of my ears. but whatever, i feel like I've developed callous from these headphones, its never as painful as the first time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back