Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Oct 6, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #661 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's happened to me. Just got a little bit of sticky tac on the stem, then slipped the tips right over. Stays in place pretty well.

Good idea, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have the mesh-caps on? the ridged edge of the screw-on mesh cap holds the tips on better than without.

Yep, they slip off anyway.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #662 of 779
I went out and purchased the ADDIEM's last week and I have to say that I like them very much. This being my first pair of IEM's it took me awhile to get use to the effect of IEM's as opposed to open headphones.

I have no real complaints about the stock tips (I use the large) except for a perceived less than total seal. Another area of minor disappointment for me is the perceived weakness of the bass response. I assume that these are interrelated, which brings me to my question...

If you wanted a better seal and a perceived increase in the lower frequency response, would the Sony or the Comply T-140 Tips fit these goals? I have read the numerous "reviews" of these tips on this thread and cannot come to a decision.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #663 of 779
For those of you who bought from gamernation89, were they practically brand new? I know he describes them as "used" but it's hard to fathom he has so many used pairs.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #664 of 779
I just switched to the L tips and they work better. Perhaps they contribute to the more balanced sound because they ad space between my eardrums and the transducers but still offer better seal than M does. I've noticed that the sound seems to become more veiled and more muffled when the iem gets further pushed in, in the earcanal. Anyone share this experience? All the frequencyspectrum is airier and more neutral balanced now. Midrange has cleared up and there isn't anything in the sound that I am disturbed by (at least not that much hehe) they're still somewhat veiled and cold or Hardy sounding. Guess it's how they sound. I will try with foamies later on though.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #665 of 779
Using the olive inserted only on the filter, adding space, like you have. I agree with your assessment. And these are somewhat cold, analytical, and have a little bit of harshness.

Oct 14, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #666 of 779
I just got a replacement shipped overnight to me. The older version indeed has some problem at the headphone jack connector. If the plastic get loose, I lost the mic and remote control. The new version indeed sport a much harder plastic coating. The cable seem more rigid also. The older one is very elastic.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #667 of 779
Just got my pair. They are not bad considering they cost $40. Sound signature is cold/analytical type, as reported. Not sloppy/muddy, even in the higher vocals. These actually have a soundstage of speak of, I'm surprised. Female vocal has a bit of air to help bring out some of the details. They sound *quite* consistent across the range, with just a bit of mid-bass bump (really better than most already, when compared to other entry-level IEMs that sound so inconsistent that you'd think it's another singer when they switch vocal registers). These being the first cheap set of earphones that I've used in a while, it sounds like I'm listening to mp3s when I'm actually listening to lossless, but hey, good cheap earbuds for rough use! And of course it has the convenience factor thanks to the remote buttons. Can't complain for $40!

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #668 of 779
I'm just wondering if Shure tips will fit on these. When I had a pair of SE530s, the triple flange that I cut down to a set of bi-flanges gave me the most perfect fit. I cannot seem to achieve the same fit with the default tips of the ADDIEM. If someone can confirm that the Shure tips fit on the ADDIEM, I'll order a set of Comply's as well as a pair of Shure triple flanges.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #670 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucrags84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound quality, I don't think the ADDIEMs beat the Shure SE110s, the soundstage for the former is more restrictive.

I haven't heard the B&Os.

What is a "PFE", sorry I am catching up on learning acronyms.

PFE = Perfect Fit Earphone. More specifically, it's referring to the Phonak PFE IEMs, which, from what I've read are either great, or horrible. There are tons of mixed opinions on these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my pair. They are not bad considering they cost $40. Sound signature is cold/analytical type, as reported. Not sloppy/muddy, even in the higher vocals. These actually have a soundstage of speak of, I'm surprised. Female vocal has a bit of air to help bring out some of the details. They sound *quite* consistent across the range, with just a bit of mid-bass bump (really better than most already, when compared to other entry-level IEMs that sound so inconsistent that you'd think it's another singer when they switch vocal registers). These being the first cheap set of earphones that I've used in a while, it sounds like I'm listening to mp3s when I'm actually listening to lossless, but hey, good cheap earbuds for rough use! And of course it has the convenience factor thanks to the remote buttons. Can't complain for $40!

I love opinions like these. I used to think that ADDIEMs were just the best things ever, and now, am even more impressed with S4s. Shows how much more I have yet to hear, I guess. It must be a mixed blessing, because in a pinch, listening to lo/mid-fi would just be annoying, having heard wondrous hi-fi.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #671 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menasor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you who bought from gamernation89, were they practically brand new? I know he describes them as "used" but it's hard to fathom he has so many used pairs.

Sorry for the late reply, either gamernation89 or 7dime sell "used" ADDIEMs, but they have all been like new, and not fake.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #672 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PFE = Perfect Fit Earphone. More specifically, it's referring to the Phonak PFE IEMs, which, from what I've read are either great, or horrible. There are tons of mixed opinions on these.

I love opinions like these. I used to think that ADDIEMs were just the best things ever, and now, am even more impressed with S4s. Shows how much more I have yet to hear, I guess. It must be a mixed blessing, because in a pinch, listening to lo/mid-fi would just be annoying, having heard wondrous hi-fi.

The PFEs have been pretty much positively reviewed for their SQ, but panned for their durability - two separate issues. I was among the first to own them, way back when, and I really still like them. I decided to sell them when I got the UM3X, mainly because I believe the PFEs really don't hit their stride without a warm, high-quality amp.

So the opinions aren't really too mixed: Most people really like their sound sig, but many here on HF have had QC issues and had to get replacements (in some cases 2-3 times).

I also think there is a newer, "stronger" (hopefully) model coming out any day. So I would hold off buying them until that piece is for sale.

As for the low-fi vs. hi-fi. I have heard some nice phones in my crazy "buy and try" experience, and I would not call the ADDIEMs low-fi. I just gave my wife a pair (an ebay "used" model), and listened to them the other day. And I think they sound pretty nice, and for $30-$40, an excellent value. The S4s, as you note, are also an excellent value. For me, every phone has to be judged by its "price to performance" ratio (I mean street price, not MSRP). Believe me, there are those here who would call the S4s low-fi as well.

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #673 of 779
Giving this a bump.

Would you guys recommend these for use-and-abuse earphones? Just something to use on a rainy day when I wanna take care of my usual earbuds. Or is there something better for < $40?

Also, anyone know an eBay seller who would take an international order but ship to a US address?

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #674 of 779
I would say they fit that bill, esp if you use an iPod Touch or iPhone. At $40, tough to beat in my view,but there are tons of Chinese-made phones (Soundmagic, etc) that people claim would be even cheaper. See ClisOS reviews for examples.

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #675 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say they fit that bill, esp if you use an iPod Touch or iPhone. At $40, tough to beat in my view,but there are tons of Chinese-made phones (Soundmagic, etc) that people claim would be even cheaper. See ClisOS reviews for examples.

Sounds good if I can pick it up for $40 on eBay. Might be able to sell the earphones that come with the Touch for about $30 (I'm in the Philippines, don't ask how :p) so I guess it shouldn't be bad for about $10.
atsmile.gif

Anyone know of a seller willing to take an international order but ship it to California?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back