Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Jul 30, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #571 of 779
I know for a fact that you can go to apple store and have something exchanged without a receipt. I had my original apple headphones that came with my 3g go through the wash and dryer. It was accidentally left in the pocket of my jeans. It still worked, even the mic, but the cable was all tangled up and it wouldn't stay straight anymore. I went to apple and told them what happened and they just gave me a new one no questions asked.

Now 3 weeks ago I got 2 pairs of ADDIEMs from ebay around $29 dollars each with free shipping. I have absolutely no problems with the IEMs, therefore I can't justify taking it to apple and having exchanged just for a better plug. So far I have seen no one here talk about an unreliable rubber protector plug. But I guess there have been complaints elsewhere. Maybe it will have happen over time, but until then I guess I'm keeping the ones I have now... unless I "accidentally" leave it in the pocket of my jeans... whoops a daisy!
devil_face.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #572 of 779
Just gave mine to my wife as her in ear's kept falling out while working out. With the olive tips she now doesn't have the falling out problem! Big step up from her J2 JBuds anyways.

And no problems with them so far, but I haven't used them much and my wife is usually fairly easy on headphones.

Jul 30, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #573 of 779
I just hope it doesn't become another cable issue like my Shure se530. When I had them, (it was stolen) i had it replaced 2 times. Luckily, they were still under warranty. I fixed the problem though with my 3rd pair by using silicone tape around the part over the ear and it didn't get stiff, crack, and expose the wire anymore.

average_joe, I use the sony hybrid tips with the ADDIEM. They provide excellent isolation and they stay in my ears better than the stock tips. I'm glad I upgraded them.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #574 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by deza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know for a fact that you can go to apple store and have something exchanged without a receipt. I had my original apple headphones that came with my 3g go through the wash and dryer. It was accidentally left in the pocket of my jeans. It still worked, even the mic, but the cable was all tangled up and it wouldn't stay straight anymore. I went to apple and told them what happened and they just gave me a new one no questions asked.

Now 3 weeks ago I got 2 pairs of ADDIEMs from ebay around $29 dollars each with free shipping. I have absolutely no problems with the IEMs, therefore I can't justify taking it to apple and having exchanged just for a better plug. So far I have seen no one here talk about an unreliable rubber protector plug. But I guess there have been complaints elsewhere. Maybe it will have happen over time, but until then I guess I'm keeping the ones I have now... unless I "accidentally" leave it in the pocket of my jeans... whoops a daisy!
devil_face.gif

I know apple changed to a better plastic plug. Mine is still the one with the rubber plug which sucks. I have to be very careful when storing it in my pocket for fear of bending the rubber plug too much.

I was thinking of the same thing. Can I just walk into the Apple store and get it changed for the one with the better plug? Because one way or another, it's not fair for us early adoptors to live with this horrible rubber plugs. We are paying the same price. Shouldn't that entitle us to the newer ADDIEMs with better hard plastic plugs?

If they don't accept this reason (I'm in Singapore, and the service centre here is rather strict, unlike in US), I have to find a way to "wear out" my rubber plug and get it changed.
confused_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #575 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by alleggerita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I just walk into the Apple store and get it changed for the one with the better plug? Because one way or another, it's not fair for us early adoptors to live with this horrible rubber plugs. We are paying the same price. Shouldn't that entitle us to the newer ADDIEMs with better hard plastic plugs?

Most early adopters have to live with what they've purchased, even if better revisions appear down the line. It may not seem fair, but that's part of adopting early. You're certainly not entitled to anything else...

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #577 of 779
These are among the most disappointing IEMs I've bought. I found the Apple IEM's way too tinny, okay at treble, mediocre in the midrange, and just unbelievably unable to produce anything that one might call bass. They distorted quickly at low volume levels, apparently unable to handle the power of my mp3 player (D2) and required tweaking of EQ on every individual song to even acceptable sound. The preceding is not a prof audiophile's analysis, just my opinion & of course everyone's ears are different.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #578 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are among the most disappointing IEMs I've bought. I found the Apple IEM's way too tinny, okay at treble, mediocre in the midrange, and just unbelievably unable to produce anything that one might call bass. They distorted quickly at low volume levels, apparently unable to handle the power of my mp3 player (D2) and required tweaking of EQ on every individual song to even acceptable sound. The preceding is not a prof audiophile's analysis, just my opinion & of course everyone's ears are different.

rolleyes.gif
Interesting.. so what do you think of your Vibes (additionally, when did you purchase these Vibes) and Super.Fi 5 Pro in comparison?

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #579 of 779
Vibes: I bought 1st gen just after they first came out a couple years ago. Sound was ok -- and just okay. But IMO more listenable generally than the Apple IEMs. However, the build quality of the Vibe cables is infamously bad. The cable frayed around the metal plug within a few weeks, and I got replacements 2 times due to this issue, 3rd set did the same thing & finally I connected my own plug.

Super.Fi5 Pro: Kind of unfair comparison b/c of different price range. IMO, though I no longer think the 5's are the best at their price point, they do blow the Apple's away at every turn, except for: The Apple IEMs do seem more physically comfortable to wear for a longer period of time.

I think part of it = I just personally don't like the sound signature of the Apples. Others may like it fine. Just seems way too lightweight, airy, tinny, trebly, etc for my liking

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #580 of 779
I didn't mean to rain on this parade though, of course this is just one listener's op -- as always the best bet is to listen to them. If you have an Apple store near you, you can buy them & return in 2 weeks with nothing lost except time.

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #581 of 779
Quote:

I didn't mean to rain on this parade though, of course this is just one listener's op -- as always the best bet is to listen to them.

No, your contribution was helpful in providing a different perspective. I just found your choice of wording a bit strong. And yes, they're best tried first.

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #582 of 779
Quote:

I didn't mean to rain on this parade though, of course this is just one listener's op ..

I kind of share the same feeling you have at first, but some foam tips do wonder. Granted that it won't become a bass monster, but the end result is more satisfying than the stock eartips - very neutral and revealing. It might worth a try for those who haven't listen to the ADDIEM with foam tips yet.

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #583 of 779
I just received my ADDIEMs, and I found it to be softer than the PFEs at the same volume setting! I read somewhere on this thread was easier to drive than the PFEs... is this normal?

Another thing I noticed was that the music (drums/beat etc) are clearly separated from the vocals on some tracks, one being "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz (at 320kbp); this doesn't happen on my PFE nor PL30.

Is this due to the dual drivers? Any comments will help; thanks!

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #584 of 779
They are easier to drive with my equipment, strange. I personally think the separation of the ADDIEM is a little to overdone and takes away from my listening at times, where the PFE sounded just about right.

And while the sound sig of the ADDIEM is not for everyone, they perform much better with either the Sony tips, or my favorite with the ADDIEM, the Shure olives.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #585 of 779
I find the separation on the ADDIEM to be a hit or miss. It does a really good job pulling the vocals away from the bassline or rhythm, putting the vocals dead center and keeping the bass far from the center. Essentially I feel sounds disparate in frequency are correspondingly separate in the ADDIEM's presentation, whereas sounds vying for a limited space tends to mess things up.

The Killer's "Mr. Brightside" has a high guitar somewhat lost at times, and System of a Down's "Chop Suey" has a piano part at the end that I really enjoy that doesn't pull away from the mix well with the ADDIEM (both 320kbps LAME MP3s). My IE 8 handled these two examples quite well and the noted parts were very clearly separated from the rest of the instruments, but the ADDIEM seems to get somewhat congested when there's a lot going on in a given range.

Then again I listen to tragically low volume.. about 10% from my 3GS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back