Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Apr 16, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #106 of 779
The NE's are considered uncomfortable by many. Personally once I started to use a nice small tip they are feeling very comfortable for me and I love their warm sound and their soundstage. They seem very nice for most music but not perfect and their airy quality does not work for some genre's very well.

I do not have experience with ADDIEM's so will leave that for others to cover. But if you like Hipop you might miss the bass impact with them, on the other hand I suspect Jazz would be well served by the them due to their more analytical nature and more forward mids and highs as compared to the NE's.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #107 of 779
Having owned both, I believe the ADDIEMs are a better phone, as I prefer their SQ and fit. For very small ears, the sound tube on the ADDIEMs is a little smaller (circumference-wise) so that also is a comfort issue. I found the NE-7Ms, with Comply T400s (didn't like the silicone tips much) to be a bit too stuffy for long-term use.

Also, the ADDIEMs are microphonic, so a shirt clip is a good idea. I had some around (white ones, in fact, that I got from Ety for $6). To me, that is there only real downside. But it can be rectified with a shirt clip or by being worn over the ear, which in some ways sounds better, though it does put the clicker in a bad spot, as Squirsier notes.

Here's an idea. The Sony hybrids do some with a SS size (super small?) and they fit the ADDIEMs, so that might be a good alternative for smaller ears. My daughter also has small ear canals, and that's what I am going to do when her ADDIEMs arrive. Swap out the small Apple tips with the Sony hybrid tips. It should work for her too.

I have a pair of those PL30s (curious what $19 could buy), and I could never get a good fit either.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #108 of 779
I'm using mine right now and I love them! id say I have a pretty good selection to compare them to.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #109 of 779
skipping all the glory details...

sure you have experience and found it good, i am not discrediting that; in fact, i am not even arguing for that nor suggesting the IEM is bad in any sense.

my point has always been targeting to people who have enough head set and moved* by the notion of "cheap" IEM but because of the perceived availability issue they rushed* into buying it.

is this not hype then? how many pages of responses after that link was posted?

i surely didn't buy one, but i doubt your comment has anything to do with it, last check only my gf has this kind of influence over me :p

why does it has to be an argument without even going through a struggled discussion? do you have issue with people voice differently from your opinion or something? i was simply wording "caution" on hype but not a hype itself.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #110 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by hydrocyanic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just to calm down the hype a little..

there seem to be a freq. response from headphone info, the chart seems to be on par for its price and segmenting

link:
Apple In-ear Headphones with Remote and Mic Review - In-Ear - Reviews of Headphones and Headphone Ratings - HeadphoneInfo.com

40 is a good deal, that's for sure; but not rivaling any 150+ iems

Did you read the comparison properly:
Apple In-ear Headphones with Remote and Mic Review - In-Ear - Reviews of Headphones and Headphone Ratings - HeadphoneInfo.com

"
• Turbines look better.
• Similar frequency response, but the Turbines performed better.
• Apples showed less distortion overall.
• Apples had better isolation
• Appples are almost half the price of the Turbines.

Verdict

We think the Apple In-ear Headphones with Remote and Mic win this performance test, but again, the victory was far from a landslide. The most compelling reason to pick up the Apples in lieu of the Monsters is the price difference: the monsters cost about $150 while the Apples cost $80."

So your own link says the Apple IEMs are better than the $150 monsters.

This matches my impressions. The Turbines has lots of bass but lack clarity.

The FR interpretation seems to be very subjective and nonsense. They rate the Turbines higher than the SE420 and the SE530. If you look at the graph it is much worse.

According to headphone.info:
Monster Turbine:
Frequency Response (6.59)
http://www.headphoneinfo.com/images/...raphs/freq.jpg

SE 530 Frequency Response (5.26)
http://www.headphoneinfo.com/images/...raphs/freq.jpg

The graphs for both show that the Turbine has huge dip and the SE530 has a tiny dip in the their own criteria but they rate the Turbine higher???? The left and right channel on the Turbine are horribly mismatched. Unforgivable for a $150 IEM.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #111 of 779
I might pick up a pair of these seeing as I haven't been happy overall with the NuForce NE-7M's. They don't feel right and I've already had problems with one pair I've had to return and the replacement I got is starting to mess up too
frown.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #112 of 779
I think what we have here, as Paul Newman said in Cool Hand Luke, is a failure to communicate.

I'd say people here are pretty much mature adults who can make up their own minds. You say you didn't disagree with me, but you did bring the element of hype into the mix, and not sure what the reason was, other than, as you seem to be saying, to protect unsuspecting Head-Fi'ers from spending more money. You certainly disagree with the fact that the ADDIEMs are worth their full price (you say they are worth $40) and disagree that they can compete with a $150 IEM (the Monster Turbine, as you note). And you based that on that lame review.

I don't understand the third sentence, the one that begins "my point..." Do you mean that the people who like the ADDIEMs (especially at a 50 percent discount) are "targeting" people for no other reason than just to get the latter to spend more money? C'mon, get real.

All I did was try out a pair of phones for less than half price that some folks I respect said were a very good value, even at full price. And then I posted about my experience with those phones, to the best of my ability. If people chose to react by posting in response or even buying them, why is that hype? Are those HF members unsuspecting dupes? Of course not.

After all, I purchased the ADDIEMs because Montell and a couple of others said they were excellent phones, so in that case, I guess you could say I bought into the hype. And I am glad I did. I don't put much stock in charts/graphs etc. I just like to listen and decide. Besides, that specific review site lacks any real credibility.

Quote:

skipping all the glory details...

sure you have experience and found it good, i am not discrediting that; in fact, i am not even arguing for that nor suggesting the IEM is bad in any sense.

my point has always been targeting to people who have enough head set and moved* by the notion of "cheap" IEM but because of the perceived availability issue they rushed* into buying it.

i surely didn't buy one, but i doubt your comment has anything to do with it, last check only my gf has this kind of influence over me :p

why does it has to be an argument without even going through a struggled discussion? do you have issue with people voice differently from your opinion or something? i was simply wording "caution" on hype but not a hype itself.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #113 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by S.I.D. CrAzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might pick up a pair of these seeing as I haven't been happy overall with the NuForce NE-7M's. They don't feel right and I've already had problems with one pair I've had to return and the replacement I got is starting to mess up too
frown.gif

The mic/clicker on mine went nuts (bumping it lightly caused it to pause). NuForce replaced it, but I sold the new pair as I wasn't all that happy with the sound/comfort either.

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #114 of 779
Quote:

That is not the case. You clearly said it is hype because you found a link that you misread and claimed there is no way they can compete with $150 phones.

Your own link says they are better. Lower distortion, better tracking and isolation.

If someone wants to pick them up really cheap it is their prerogative.

Quote:

Hyper :- publicize in an exaggerated and often misleading manner

Where was there an intention to mislead?

I would say the ADDIEM is a excellent deal at $80 retail. Your own link to head-fi agrees that the ADDIEM is better than the Turbine and much cheaper and offers more functionality to iPod and iPhone users.

At $40 they are a steal...how is that misleading or exaggerated.

I don't see any hype.

Quote:

It looks like you do. You didn't want to buy it that is fine. Others can make up their own mind, no?

You have problem accepting that the phones are that good. So you claim it is hype. Others trust tstarn06's opinions and are absolutely fine buying it.

You seem to have a problem with his opinion on the value of the product.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #115 of 779
Remember people one word:

objectivity.

I know that the word 'Apple' and 'objectivity' don't seem to mix (both Apple haters and Apple fanbois suffer from subjectivity and bias equally) but honestly, consider it. If it was another other brand, we would all be on the FOTM ship right now. As with any praising of a product on here, you must take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure tstarn did exactly that and was pleasantly surprised.

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #116 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember people one word:

objectivity.

I know that the word 'Apple' and 'objectivity' don't seem to mix (both Apple haters and Apple fanbois suffer from subjectivity and bias equally) but honestly, consider it. If it was another other brand, we would all be on the FOTM ship right now. As with any praising of a product on here, you must take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure tstarn did exactly that and was pleasantly surprised.

Hard to do that when the whole hobby is subjective..
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #118 of 779
Hype and value are 2 different things. The ADDIEM for $35 is value, and a smart buy IMO. People liked it for the most part when the original thread was in full swing, at this price I can't pass this up, even though I really don't need them.

But why do I read head-fi? To hear the hype on new audio equipment and help me decide if I want to try it myself and to find values. Saying the ADDIEM is better than the IE8 is hype, saying you prefer them to the IE8 is opinion. Reading enough opinions will help me decide if they are something I will like. I respect tstarn and am glad he recommended these to me. I remember oarnura as one of the people from the original thread that liked them. IMO they both really know what they are talking about.

Use these forums as a tool to help you decide, but I don't see the need to call something hype (especially if you have not personally heard them). If you don't like it you can choose not to read the thread.

I am looking forward to seeing how they compare to my NE-7s and, if I ever get them back from loan, my PK3s. If they are as good as I think they will be, I hope there are 2 more I can buy to give as gifts!

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #119 of 779
only speculation, should give you an opportunity to listen and not look at both the brand
that would be objective...

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #120 of 779
I was split on these and the NuForce, but I finally decided on these ones. Almost everyone says these are better. Bought from the $34.99 seller on eBay.

Will post when I get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back