Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Apr 17, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #121 of 779
Hope that ebay seller is happy. I bought a second pair from him. At $35, I just can't see how you can go wrong. I listened to them this morning, for about an hour, and they really are crystal clear, very musical, especially with my Touch. Also, the shirt clip worked on the microphonics issue, not a problem.

Again, I wasn't trying to hype anything. I was just curious, figured it was worth spending $35, and, in my view, I got more than I paid for based on my overall IEM experience (and I venture to say I have owned more in-ear phones than most HF members. My list of sold/returned is too long to publish).

What I also really like is the idea that Apple will replace these without a receipt from what I read. If that is the case, how can you go wrong?

Oh, I am no Apple fanboy, believe me. Prior to these phones, I have owned one Apple product, the Touch 2G, which I really do like, though the battery seems to go pretty quickly (not happy with that aspect of it). In fact, I held out buying anything Apple for the longest time. I still prefer getting my downloaded tracks from Amazon, by a mile.

So I hope we all benefit from this ebay deal until the dude runs out of these phones. If it seems like hype, then by all means, save your $$$.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #122 of 779
Has anyone had experience using these phones plus Klipsch Custom 2's? I am wanting to celebrate the landing of a new work contract and am tossing around which headphone I would like. I currently use NE-7M and like their bass response but am struggling with comfort and the airy quality of the NE's a bit for certain genre's. I think the bass of the C2's will be more pronounced than the ADDIEM's but am curious about midrange, highs, and detail, plus sound stage between the two phones. I also am aware the C2's will be more money versus the ADDIEM's (I am looking at the ADDIEMS from Apple Canada at $89CAN versus around $125CAN for the C2's from an Amazon affiliate). I am also awar eo the difference between the two in regards to the mic and controls, I like this stuff but it really isn't what I'm worried about, I am more looking at sound and actually comfort as my two prime concerns.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #123 of 779
I never could get canal phones to stay in my ear. Hence why I loved it when I moved onto IEM

I have to ask though... the Apple 'IEMs' (and Sony, Denon etc etc) all may well sound great, but they strike me as very canal-phoney fit wise with the tips on offer

How is fit?

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #124 of 779
Nope. Never owned the Custom 2s, and neither have many HFers from what I have read. I did own the Custom 3s, but wasn't all that blown away (got them for half price during the Klipsch blow out sale at the end of 2008), though it has been awhile since I heard them. Price-wise, there is no comparison, since the these are $35 ($79 at the most) and the Custom 2s are much more, no? Not that cost always makes a difference. But why between those two phones?

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #125 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never could get canal phones to stay in my ear. Hence why I loved it when I moved onto IEM

I have to ask though... the Apple 'IEMs' (and Sony, Denon etc etc) all may well sound great, but they strike me as very canal-phoney fit wise with the tips on offer

How is fit?

The while canal phone/IEM thing is confusing. I am using single flange Sony hybrid silicone sleeves, normally associated with canal phones. But they are plenty snug and never fall out, etc. The Senn IE8s also have the same fatter sound tube, but no one considers them canal phones. I think the Apple in-ear and the Senns are alike in that way, they are not deep insertion IEMs like Etys or TF10s, but they are not ready to fall out all the time either, depending on the tip you use. You still have to make sure they are snugly in the ear canal, they are not like some Sony phones or ear buds, for sure.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #126 of 779
I am thinking of trying a dual driver phone and want something nice but not to expensive (under $150). I want bass but not at the the expense of midrange and highs. The NE's have a pretty nice balance between bass, midrange, and treble for me but I do find issues with their airy feel for some of the genre's of music I listen to and they are a bothering my ears a bit more than I would like. So I thought the C2's might give me better bass, and have good midrange and highs due to the dual drivers. I also was thinking their design might be more comfortable. The ADDIEM's seem nice also (I looked at a pair in a store and they are very tiny aside from a great big stem) but I do wonder if the bass will be what I want (the NE's have just about the right amount of bass for me and I don't know if I want anything lower than that).

I guess another question would be, what does anyone recommend other than the two I mentioned in that price range? I also can get Monster Turbines locally for about what I would pay buying them online with the cost of shipping and the exchange rates on the Canadian dollar. But these are also only a single duynamic driver versus dual balanced drivers (not that I am only wanting Dual BA's as much as I'm wanting a comfortable better sounding IEM than my NE's.

Apr 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #127 of 779
OK everyone, don't worry about my request for info on the C2's versus the ADDIEMS, I was also looking at and reading about the Monster Turbines while thinking about these and I think I am going to go that route for the moment as I can return the Turbines if I'm unhappy and I think they will be what I'm looking for as they are described as an NE-7M on steroids from what I'm reading without the airy quality of the NE's so save your breath unless I find I dislike the Turbines.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #128 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The while canal phone/IEM thing is confusing. I am using single flange Sony hybrid silicone sleeves, normally associated with canal phones. But they are plenty snug and never fall out, etc...

~Snip~

I think the Apple in-ear and the Senns are alike in that way, they are not deep insertion IEMs like Etys or TF10s, but they are not ready to fall out all the time either, depending on the tip you use. You still have to make sure they are snugly in the ear canal, they are not like some Sony phones or ear buds, for sure.

Interesting. Of course it is incredibly hard to demo non full-sized headphones in this world
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

The Senn IE8s also have the same fatter sound tube, but no one considers them canal phones

I don't consider them as canals... well I own UM2s
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #129 of 779
As of tonight, been using the Q-Jays tips on the ADDIEM, as the small tips I had been using that came with the IEMs started slipping and staying in my ears.

They fit great, and are a tight fit on the nozzle.

If there's one drawback from the ADDIEM, it's the lack of silicon sleeves that you can buy separately... Which is odd, because I can see a lot of people returning those after a few months because the sleeves slips from the earpieces and get stick in their ears too, which in turn, will probably be passed under warranty?

Weird... Anyway... Seems like a lot of different tips work on those, so
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #130 of 779
The Sony hybrids tips, which have the color tubes (used them on the Senn IE8s when I had them) are a very snug fit on the ADDIEMs, in fact, they grip very well, and come in four sizes, so a lot of fit choices. Anyway, they stay on, so far, very well. Sucks that the Apple tips start to lose their grip in time, it seems. But the Sony tips, $9 on Amazon.com, are a good option.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #131 of 779
Quote:

The Sony hybrids tips, which have the color tubes (used them on the Senn IE8s when I had them) are a very snug fit on the ADDIEMs, in fact, they grip very well, and come in four sizes, so a lot of fit choices. Anyway, they stay on, so far, very well. Sucks that the Apple tips start to lose their grip in time, it seems. But the Sony tips, $9 on Amazon.com, are a good option.

These sound interesting, you got a product link? No matter what combination I try on amazon.com's search engine, I can't find them
frown.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #132 of 779
mmm..I think I'll pay the extra US$12 to get it locally, new, full package of sleeves and overnight ship.
I'll buy these on Monday and of course there will be impressions vs. the NE-7M!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #134 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmm..I think I'll pay the extra US$12 to get it locally, new, full package of sleeves and overnight ship.
I'll buy these on Monday and of course there will be impressions vs. the NE-7M!
smily_headphones1.gif

Where can you buy them new for $47 with free shipping?

Apr 18, 2009 at 9:36 AM Post #135 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can you buy them new for $47 with free shipping?

Heh, I'm getting it retail here and since that guy can't ship to kiwiland..it's NZ$130 here ($74). I found another guy selling for 47 Euro ($62.5 US) but I'll pay the extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back