Apple IEM - most underrated IEMs on the market
Apr 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #152 of 779
To me they sound close to the black but with a bit more forward mids and a slight peak in the treble. But not a sharp as the grays.

The Lenntek Balanced Armature is the one I have coming, not the $20 dynamic Lenntek.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #153 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me they sound close to the black but with a bit more forward mids and a slight peak in the treble. But not a sharp as the grays.

The Lenntek Balanced Armature is the one I have coming, not the $20 dynamic Lenntek.

So this Lenntek?

And I am looking forward to hearing the ADDIEM! Maybe I can find a tip that smooths the treble a bit! And glad they resemble the black filters, not the grey!

Apr 18, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #156 of 779
After listening to many more cuts with both the addiem and pfe, the gap is not as close as writing about them may lead you to believe. The addiem is not as open in the mids, kind of compressed which leads to a window that is only partially open compared to the PFEs.

Midrange body is given up with the addiem compared to the pfe, but it is still a good value. And different tips change the personality immensely.

Tstarn06 suggested the PFE silicon tips which get the addiem screen a bit further from your eardrum and help with the peak in the highs and with depth. More experimenting with cheap amps etc.

For now though it is no PFE killer!

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #157 of 779
Well mine are officially MIA.

Tracking shows they're delivered however my mailbox was empty.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #159 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks tsarn and bixby!

tsarn, how you say the ADDIEMs compare to the Turbines in clarity and detail?

Well, my sound memory isn't great, but while I found the Turbines a pretty good phone for bass, there was something about the detail/clarity that bugged me. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it wasn't so much that lack of detail, but the bass just seemed too dominant. I don't know. I just am more of a fan of the type of sound signature (more focus on clarity, detail with merely accurate, but not overpowering, bass) the PFEs/ADDIEMs deliver among the mid-priced phones ($80-$150).

Now, both the IE8 and the W3s are much more authoritative and the bass slam, to me, is on another level from the mid-priced IEMs, so having had both of those, the Turbines just became expendable. Plus, I could have sold the PFEs, but didn't. I sold the Turbines instead.

Not sure that helps, but I tried.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #160 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After listening to many more cuts with both the addiem and pfe, the gap is not as close as writing about them may lead you to believe. The addiem is not as open in the mids, kind of compressed which leads to a window that is only partially open compared to the PFEs.

Midrange body is given up with the addiem compared to the pfe, but it is still a good value. And different tips change the personality immensely.

Tstarn06 suggested the PFE silicon tips which get the addiem screen a bit further from your eardrum and help with the peak in the highs and with depth. More experimenting with cheap amps etc.

For now though it is no PFE killer!

Hmmm, I can see (hear) what Bixby is talking about. I decided to put both phones on the MiniboxE+ with the Touch via LOD, and the difference is more obvious to me than with the T4 (which is a warmer amp).

The MBE+ really brings out the best in the PFEs, whereas the ADDIEMs are a little less full in the midrange, and display a little more harshness. Of course, this amp is killer and really brings out the best in the PFEs. Maybe it also exposes the Apple phones a little as well.

Nevertheless, while the ADDIEMs may not be on the same level as the PFEs when both are performing under optimum conditions, they are still a major bargain at that $35 price point in my view. Better than any other "low cost" phone I've invested in, by a mile. I know, they are $79 phones. But they compete with phones that are in the $100 price range and a little higher. So $35 ... what's to lose.

Oh, and they also are easier to drive than the PFEs, so no amp needed with my DAPS (especially the Clip, which gives my PFEs volume fits unamped).

Plus, they are great if you have the Touch, since the mic thingie handles volume, pause and advance/reverse track.

For the $35 deal, call the ADDIEMs the poor man's (or woman's) PFE. At $79, still a good value, especially if you are not intending to use an amp and have a Touch.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #163 of 779
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my sound memory isn't great, but while I found the Turbines a pretty good phone for bass, there was something about the detail/clarity that bugged me. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it wasn't so much that lack of detail, but the bass just seemed too dominant. I don't know. I just am more of a fan of the type of sound signature (more focus on clarity, detail with merely accurate, but not overpowering, bass) the PFEs/ADDIEMs deliver among the mid-priced phones ($80-$150).

Now, both the IE8 and the W3s are much more authoritative and the bass slam, to me, is on another level from the mid-priced IEMs, so having had both of those, the Turbines just became expendable. Plus, I could have sold the PFEs, but didn't. I sold the Turbines instead.

Not sure that helps, but I tried.

It does help. Thank you very much. I have the Turbines and their bass oriented sound signature fits my main preferences very well because it appeals to me on a more visceral level, especially when I'm doing other things and less focused on picking part details. However, I have to admit that there are times when I'd like less bass and to step back a bit and analyze my music more. Based on on your opinion and others that I've read in this thread, it does seem that the ADDIEMs would serve that purpose well, especially since I'm not really too keen on spending the the funds necessary for the PFEs since their sound signature isn't my main preference.

I only wish the ADDIEMs were available in black though. Oh well, only a minor quibble.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #165 of 779
Okay guys, please answer this one:

if you look at just the SOUND quality (not value), do you think the Apple IEMs would beat the:

1.B&O A8 (if anyone has it...)
2. Shure se110s

So just sound quality, not in terms of value or something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back