Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Jul 18, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #646 of 862
Thanks for explanation, I did not get any guidance with the amp, and cannot download from ttvj site. Is there any more keyboard shortcuts for Glacier? :)
So now this blinking solved (now not charged from S3), but was too bright...i opened the case and added some black foil between the LED and light guidance. Now much better.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #647 of 862
If you want I can scan the manual I got with my Glacier for you. Just let me know, it's no trouble at all.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #649 of 862
Hello peeps, just trying to get my bearings a bit. So, basically the DACport is said by some to have a slightly rolled off treble, and from what I have heard with my ears the Apex Glacier (from PC via the Glacier's USB DAC) is a bit brighter then the DACport, so I was wondering if people thought the Glacier has a generally neutral tonality or if it is actually considered to be slightly bright sounding.

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #650 of 862
Hmm Mike's review of it on headfonia described it as fast and lively. I don't think it's that bright as such. Well it's certainly not as bassy as my SPL auditor. 
Hmm so it may be in the neutral zone :wink: 

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #651 of 862
Giving my 2 cents here.

Using it as a DAC/Amp from a computer, I really did not enjoyed it paired with KSC75.
KSC75 is known to have a somewhat forward treble and with the Glacier, I really felt the treble becomes uncomfortable for me so imo the Glacier is tilted to a more bright character.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #652 of 862
yeah i must agree...the glacier has good synergy with my er4s only with superb recordings. Yet man, with the LCD2 it rocked! For a small amp was really
impressive

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #653 of 862
I've always loved TTVJ- none of the 'crazy marketing' of some of the other more commercially-oriented companies around here, and great street cred with the Pete Millet tie-up.

My TTVJ MHP is still one of my favourites for what it offers (tubeyyyyyyyy midrange), although it's clearly a few generations behind the current portable amps for technical performance.

The Apex Glacier has not disappointed me either. Coming from other more musical, darker amps, it gave me a shock and sounded thin at first. But I soon started to enjoy its unmatched clarity and speed. I can really see what Pete Millet meant by upgrading the power supply. This basically gives a cleaner, faster signal- not unlike how moving from copper to silver (a better conductor) gives a cleaner, faster sound with potentially less bass and more brightness.

This is the amp version of a silver wire, imho. Few other amps sound like this, so I'm really loving it so far for what it adds to my amp collection.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #655 of 862
Totally agree. ..the Glacier sounded amazing with lcd2..better than burson conductor imo ... by really throwing some prat into the lcd2.

Speaking of burson...i think i have a similar thoughts with you. The Glacier is my favorite portable amp right now..i like it more than every amp i had/have (especially in term of detail and speed/acuracy). Tried with LCD2r2 and the sound was very good (but sadly i can't stand LCD2 fitting), and they also have a very good synergy with HD650 and also Beyer T1. My Burson setup is Laptop > Musical Fidelity Vlink192 > Centrance DAC Mini > Burson Soloist, and my Glacier setup is IPC > Clasdb > Glacier, to be honest, i have had many hard time to decide which one is better than another, and sometimes my choice is leaning towards Glacier, such a very nice portable amp ! oh..one more thing...they do match very well with iems too (no noise floor or whatsoever), even though the sensitive one like TG334 or UM3x -- excellent sounding !! 

I will do comparison with my Theorem 720 once they arrived, but i doubt the sound can do better than this (based on my personal taste).

Oct 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #657 of 862
Seen a 720 and it is a giant compared to Glacier, I'll be sticking to the "Sleek One" for now. It has such a beautiful form factor for an amp/DAC.

Oct 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #658 of 862
yeah really excited to try my glacier setup with new shure 846s at london event soon. I like the glacier alot with my er4s but was just great for size
with lcd2. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #659 of 862
Hello peeps, just trying to get my bearings a bit. So, basically the DACport is said by some to have a slightly rolled off treble, and from what I have heard with my ears the Apex Glacier (from PC via the Glacier's USB DAC) is a bit brighter then the DACport, so I was wondering if people thought the Glacier has a generally neutral tonality or if it is actually considered to be slightly bright sounding.

I have DACport LX and the Glacier right now (used to owned DACport as well). I did comparison as well before, with some my other DAC/amp, the Alo International (sold) and The RSA Intruder. The DACport - the one with volume knob on the top has a bit roll-off treble like u said, (but not terribly roll off). Dacport LX wins in term of clarity compared to it - so that's why i keep it. Between The Glacier vs International vs Intruder and DACport LX, when used as a dac to my laptop, for the clarity my pick would be Glacier and International (both are good - but i found Glacier was more exciting to listen - and more clarity as well). The DACport LX vs Intruder - "as a DAC", the quality almost the same, but my pick would be DACport LX ( a bit better in clarity)

yeah really excited to try my glacier setup with new shure 846s at london event soon. I like the glacier alot with my er4s but was just great for size
with lcd2. 

They are fine to be matched. Still enjoyable to listen. but not perfect, IMO. The mids requires a bit sharper and pronounced. Also i feel like the 846 is not really good handling the PRaT/speed that Glacier is offering. is like something missing, supposed to be more accurate, but 846 kinda slow to me and a bit too warm/smooth in overall performance. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #660 of 862
How does this amp pair with the iBasso DX50 and HD25?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back