Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Feb 28, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #468 of 862
Feb 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #469 of 862
Quote:
player pro actually sounds better to my ears than neutron.the sound stage seems nicer neutron seems louder and warmer

I tried the free version but it wont play ALAC files, Bummer.  I did have some FLAC files to play through it and they sounded good but it was hard to tell as they are not my reference songs to test out my audio equipment with.

On a side note I just got the HD25-1 II to try out.  Wow I really dig them!  When listening to Overture 1928 By Dream Theater the nuances of the drums sound unbelievably better than my DT 770's.  I love the soundstage but I wish the bass was a bit faster.  This is with stock cableing.  I plan on building better quality cables soon to see if I can improve upon that.

Anyone flip the the cans on the HD25-1 so as to avoid running the cables along the headband and have it be more like the HD 650?

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #470 of 862
Quote:
I tried the free version but it wont play ALAC files, Bummer.  I did have some FLAC files to play through it and they sounded good but it was hard to tell as they are not my reference songs to test out my audio equipment with.

On a side note I just got the HD25-1 II to try out.  Wow I really dig them!  When listening to Overture 1928 By Dream Theater the nuances of the drums sound unbelievably better than my DT 770's.  I love the soundstage but I wish the bass was a bit faster.  This is with stock cableing.  I plan on building better quality cables soon to see if I can improve upon that.

Anyone flip the the cans on the HD25-1 so as to avoid running the cables along the headband and have it be more like the HD 650?

Hi HD25 Adidas owner on this end. I liked my HD25's when they were stocl but when I let a friend of mine mod them I liked them a lot better. He took away the mid bass hump and made the it sound a little cleaner in the bass. I'm guessing that's what you're talking about. If you want to improve on those cans I say look into finding someone who will mod them and save some cash on cables. If it doesn't work you paid out a small sum and you can probably reverse the mod and then get the cables.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #471 of 862
Quote:
Hi HD25 Adidas owner on this end. I liked my HD25's when they were stocl but when I let a friend of mine mod them I liked them a lot better. He took away the mid bass hump and made the it sound a little cleaner in the bass. I'm guessing that's what you're talking about. If you want to improve on those cans I say look into finding someone who will mod them and save some cash on cables. If it doesn't work you paid out a small sum and you can probably reverse the mod and then get the cables.

Won't cost too much to build my own cables.  Probably about $25-$30.

By the way does anyone notice any finish issues with their glaciers besides the early batch having the lettering coming off?

Mine came with a couple of marks albeit very minimal like a slightly dinged edge (Barely noticeable).  Also a couple of corners weren't cut properly, and part of the V in volume looks bad.  TTVJ said that they would replace it and I'll take them up on it, but I'm a bit trepidacious about it.  Especially since it cost $495.  I'm very careful with mine and baby it.  Just waiting for them to get more in stock.  

Also considering the JDS C5 and the ODAC. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #472 of 862
How long have you had it? mine only turned up a couple of days ago. edit Just had a closer look the silk screening on mine looks darker than the pictures of the one reviewed on page one but that might because of a flash being used but the headphone/line-out sockets are light blue not black.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #473 of 862
Mine had a small ding on one of the edges which I was able to finess out, part of the V in volume seems a bit sketchy the bevel on a couple of the corners are not consistent with the other corners and a couple of small scratches on the housing.  I know I'm being picky but at $495 I expect more.  In the end It's all about the sound, but why try and make something look good and fall short.  I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem to most, and it's not like I wen't looking for it I just noticed them at different times.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #474 of 862
Mine had a small ding on one of the edges which I was able to finess out, part of the V in volume seems a bit sketchy the bevel on a couple of the corners are not consistent with the other corners and a couple of small scratches on the housing.  I know I'm being picky but at $495 I expect more.  In the end It's all about the sound, but why try and make something look good and fall short.  I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem to most, and it's not like I wen't looking for it I just noticed them at different times.

I don't think you're being unreasonable. My Apex feels as though the internals are loose. When I press the volume button to power it on or insert the usb the internals body feels loose and you can wiggle it around. For $495 I expected more.

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #475 of 862
Happy with mine. Had a chance to take the logic board out and look at the design. It's really nice. Power section is spec'ed to put out much more than the amp will ever take. digital attenuator and how the light integrates. Switchable USB draw. A ton of engineering work was put into this. Sounds really good too. One of the better engineered products for $500 for sure. One of the best well thought out, full featured portable amps. Fit and finish is good too, little things here and there, but expected. Every other portable amp I've had, has had problems with fit and finish, ALO, JDS, etc. But never intrusive to the experience. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #476 of 862
Quote:
I don't think you're being unreasonable. My Apex feels as though the internals are loose. When I press the volume button to power it on or insert the usb the internals body feels loose and you can wiggle it around. For $495 I expected more.

Mine does the same thing.  I'm think about buying a C&C BH and just going from my Ipod video LOD to it.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #478 of 862
Mine does the same thing.  I'm think about buying a C&C BH and just going from my Ipod video LOD to it.

I recently got a C &C BH and it very different in sound signature to the Apex. It's much colder and more analytical with a higher perceived sense of detail. I also got a Stoner Acoustics UD100 and I think that DAC paired with the Apex as an amp is better than the Apex alone.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #479 of 862
Ive given the silk screening a few good rubs with my thumb but none has come off yet, my internal are slightly loose but I think there supposed to a be of a gap around the pcb for air flow for cooling, Im happy with it, I hope the silk screening doesn't come it wont bother me if it does but will bother me if I come to sell it and being in the UK the postage charge to America are somewhat expensive.

Mar 2, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #480 of 862
Quote:
You did a good job of it. I dont suppose you have another one like that you would sell?

Sorry for the late reply but been busy with stuff and my other toys and again sorry don't have a spare and not intending to make another as it's just takes too much time to make one.

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I know, you'd expect better for the cost.....anyway what I did was to put a thin piece of plastic cut out to the same size as the board and it's much better now. Removing the front and back plate is easy and they already have a thin piece of rubberize plastic at the bottom but don't know why they didn't use it at the top part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back