Apex Glacier amp/dac review and appreciation thread
Jan 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #226 of 862
Quote:
Well after alot of research and with what little feedback I have read on the Glacier I decided to purchase it over the portaphile. It should be here on Friday.

Hope you like it, congratulations.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #228 of 862
Just ordered mine this morning! Did standard shipping so sometime next week it should be here

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #230 of 862
Quote:
Do you think you'd be able to compare the glacier and the uha-6s mkii? Wondering if it would be worth the upgrade from the the leck.

I would if I still had the Leckerton, I need to update my profile, I sent the MKII back to fund the Glacier as I really don't need two amps and was looking for 24 bit through usb.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #231 of 862
Just a mini comparison to the good old ttvj slim:

Amp section: The glacier sounds more balanced, clean and open than the TTVJ, with slightly better resolution and imaging. The glacier is more laid back, giving it a nice big soundstage. The glacier also has an edge on the bass, where it has more texture and depth. Although the glacier sounds better technically, the TTVJ has its own strengths: TTVJ is warmer and smoother with a mid- range boost, it sounds like a tube- amp and truly excels in vocals. The glacier is a nice all rounder with great transparency while TTVJ adds extra sweetness to your music. The glacier don't sound cold or anything, it still sound like a tube, it's just the TTVJ sounds more like one.

DAC section: The glacier's dac is compatible with android OTG, apple cck with ipad or jailbreaked iphone4/4s and equivalent ipod touches. My primary setup is iphone+glacier/ computer+glacier, both setups sound almost identical, when you listen really closely you'll find the computer setup having slightly better dynamics. The DAC section of the Glacier beats the one on TTVJ hands down, it wasn't even a competition. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #232 of 862
Quote:
Do you think you'd be able to compare the glacier and the uha-6s mkii? Wondering if it would be worth the upgrade from the the leck.

Well my friend had the Rx mk3B but he after he tried my glacier he sold the rx and bought a glacier for himself, hope this explains something. Also I think one big thing about the glacier is it's ability to pair it's dac with androids and apples, making it one of the very best sounding portable packages available.

Jan 4, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #233 of 862
Jan 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #237 of 862
Quote:

how about: http://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/micro-to-micro-otg

Hmmm.  That Wifi Pineapple looks to be pure evil. And just $99!  

Scary world out there.  
eek.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #239 of 862
Quote:
I've been using my iphone 4s with iOS5.1.1 and the glacier for 1 month now and its working well. I used this cydia app called cameraconnector and an apple cck to do the trick of digital out.
The cameraconnector app is pretty stable and its easy to fix when something goes wrong. 
My only complain to the setup is the stock usb cable isn't rigid enough. When the usb connector is moved, the phone/ computer would appear to be disconnected to the glacier and I have to adjust the position of the usb connection to reconnect the whole thing. So if you're planning to take a phone/ glacier setup out, be prepared to take extra care of your connector.

Very interested info. Will try it out on my iPhone

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #240 of 862
Quote:

I have chance to A/B testing these 2 for a week and honestly I definitely vote to the Glacier.
Note: The UHA-6s is using OPA627AP

- DAC section Glacier by far better than UHA
- Amp section: Glacier has better treble extend, sparkle and decay. For the bass, I found out UHA-6s has more punchy and it makes me get tired easily, even I prefer more bass than normal. Glacier also has smoother mid and brings me more mood in every song.
- Battery Glacier > UHA (not really sure on this. I did not to the specific test on battery)
- Design Glacier > UHA (IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back