AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #4,201 of 4,614
this touchable volume graphic control is useless

why would someone touch the volume wheel to trigger the graphic and then move their finger over to the graphic to change volume

once you are already have your finger on the wheel you would just continue to use that

image.png

I agree ... another 2mm on the wheel diameter might make it more usable.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #4,202 of 4,614
My interest is sound quality ... balanced sounds more incisive and detailed to me (at least on the IT01s) than SE. Yes, more power available, so, more headroom to the sound. That should cope better with higher impedance headphones. Hidizs suggest headphones in the range 8-200 ohms .. the IT01s I use are 16 ohm IEMs but I have also used Sennheiser/Drop HD58X Jubilee (150 ohms). They're just 'OK' on SE, but not my preference. And, yes about an hour less battery overall ... but what price quality !

i think my 40mm studio dynamic driver over ear headphones are only 24 ohms

i use low gain. high gain sounds like it would give me a headache and waste my battery for nothing with these headphones

do u need special headphones to use the balanced port?

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #4,203 of 4,614
Hey everyone, I'm still using my original Kickstarter AP80 and I'm thinking of picking up a DAC amp for my HE500's to use with my laptop. I was wondering if anyone has compared the AP80 with a ifi Zen dac or Hip Dac. Alternatively if anyone has another good suggestion for a good value dac amp then please let me know.

( And because I have a feeling someone might say this, yes I am aware that I can use my AP80 as a dac with my laptop haha)

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #4,204 of 4,614

In general, If your headphones have separate connections to each ear cup for a cable that can be unplugged, then all you need is a suitable cable with a 2.5mm TRRS plug into the AP80 and whatever connections fit your headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #4,205 of 4,614
i think my 40mm studio dynamic driver over ear headphones are only 24 ohms

i use low gain. high gain sounds like it would give me a headache and waste my battery for nothing with these headphones

You need balanced out from the headphone (TRRS from headphone) to a balanced dap port (which is also TRRS by design).

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #4,206 of 4,614
there was an ipod classic in 2007 that had 160GB of storage. which was alot for that time. had more storage then any other portable music player until 9 years later in 2016 when the 256GB micro sd card came out.

but even today the ipod classic can still win because you can remove the hard drive and put in an adapter that holds 4 micro sd cards. and put 4 1TB micro sd cards in it. making it once again the winner for storage with 4000GB of portable music storage

image.png

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #4,207 of 4,614
there was an ipod classic in 2007 that had 160GB of storage. which was alot for that time. had more storage then any other portable music player until 9 years later in 2016 when the 256GB micro sd card came out.

but even today the ipod classic can still win because you can remove the hard drive and put in an adapter that holds 4 micro sd cards. and put 4 1TB micro sd cards in it. making it once again the winner for storage with 4000GB of portable music storage

image.png
holy moly!!!!!!! Wish I still had my ipod Classic.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #4,208 of 4,614
I have just acquired an AP80 and am having much the same problem. Database update freezes. I've loaded FLAC and MP3 files, different sd cards, fat32 and exfat, and problem remains. Sometimes the database update will reach 6 files, or 761 files, and once as high as 1277 before freezing. The radar screen keeps turning but files don't advance. Stuck with just playing files in order from "all files". Very frustrating. Anyone have any possible solutions?
I am encountering the same problem.

INTRO
I am putting +17k mp3s (+70 GB) on a Hidizs AP80 for my girlfriend's sister using a 512 GB microSD.

WHAT I DID SOFAR
note that, for each test:
  1. I format the SD card and
  2. transfer files from computer to SD card with
    Bash:
    rsync -ahvz Music/ /media/username/ap80ms/ --log-file=transfer.log
test 1

file transfer: part on mac, part on linux
SD formatting: default
firmware: default

test 2

file transfer: entirely on linux
SD formatting: fat32

test 3

SD formatting: exFAT
firmware: 2.3 (released on April 2 2021)

test 4 (ongoing)

additional: I tried to fix the tags with easyTag

the problem I always have is that sync stops after few songs (sometimes few hundreds, sometimes thousands...).
If I reboot the dap it transfers part of the files and then it stops again. I can see some artists, play some songs, but they are not all there.

Could it be the number of files? Could it be the aac-->mp3 conversion?
Any help would be much appreciated.

NOTE 1: I read most of this thread, particularly the last 5-6 pages and ca. 10 pages around number 180. If I missed something feel free to direct my to the post that I missed
NOTE 2: I know that putting a bunch of low quality mp3s on such a dap is like cursing in Italy (i.e. almost forbidden by the law), but I do not have much of a choice here, I was asked to complete this task by my future mother in law :D

--
EDIT: the ongoing process has not given any good result. Still same problem.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #4,209 of 4,614

INTRO
I am putting +17k mp3s (+70 GB) on a Hidizs AP80 for my girlfriend's sister using a 512 GB microSD.

WHAT I DID SOFAR
    Bash:
test 1

test 2

test 3

test 4 (ongoing)

the problem I always have is that sync stops after few songs (sometimes few hundreds, sometimes thousands...).
If I reboot the dap it transfers part of the files and then it stops again. I can see some artists, play some songs, but they are not all there.

NOTE 1: I read most of this thread, particularly the last 5-6 pages and ca. 10 pages around number 180. If I missed something feel free to direct my to the post that I missed
NOTE 2: I know that putting a bunch of low quality mp3s on such a dap is like cursing in Italy (i.e. almost forbidden by the law), but I do not have much of a choice here, I was asked to complete this task by my future mother in law :D
I just drag and drop the music files/folders on to the micro SD card (in a card reader) and then insert the micro SD in to the AP80. Never a problem.

Have you tried taking the AP80 out of the loop?

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #4,210 of 4,614
I just drag and drop the music files/folders on to the micro SD card (in a card reader) and then insert the micro SD in to the AP80. Never a problem.

Have you tried taking the AP80 out of the loop?
Same here. Never a problem. It would transfer with the card in the player, but man was it slow. I still leave it in for small incremental updates, but more than that just put it in a card reader.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #4,212 of 4,614

INTRO

WHAT I DID SOFAR
    Bash:
test 1

test 2

test 3

test 4 (ongoing)

Are you using subfolders, or are all the MP3 files in one directory? While exFAT has a ludicrously large file number limit, it's possible that there's an issue with the AP80 and files per folder - many of the current DAP models are quirky and fail to completely support standards in some way.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #4,213 of 4,614
Are you using subfolders, or are all the MP3 files in one directory? While exFAT has a ludicrously large file number limit, it's possible that there's an issue with the AP80 and files per folder - many of the current DAP models are quirky and fail to completely support standards in some way.
That's interesting! I am using an organized subfolder system: Artists/Albums/songs is how it is organized

Apr 8, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #4,214 of 4,614
That's interesting! I am using an organized subfolder system: Artists/Albums/songs is how it is organized
Well, that should obviate any concerns about folder size then. I organize my AP80 card with Music/Album Artist/Album/Song structure and it works very well. Of course, I (like so many) use a USB card reader attached to my PC when doing large updates, rather than trust in the file handling of the AP80 itself.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #4,215 of 4,614
I am not sure I got your last post:
You organize your sd card (AP80 card = SD memory extension? The AP80 has like 16 GB...) as I do, I have a SD port on my computer and you use a usb card adapter...that shouldn't play any role in the ap80 not being able to read the sd card sub-folder system...or am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back