AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Apr 8, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #4,217 of 4,614
I am encountering the same problem.

INTRO
I am putting +17k mp3s (+70 GB) on a Hidizs AP80 for my girlfriend's sister using a 512 GB microSD.

WHAT I DID SOFAR
note that, for each test:
  1. I format the SD card and
  2. transfer files from computer to SD card with
    Bash:
    rsync -ahvz Music/ /media/username/ap80ms/ --log-file=transfer.log
test 1

file transfer: part on mac, part on linux
SD formatting: default
firmware: default

test 2

file transfer: entirely on linux
SD formatting: fat32
firmware: default

test 3

SD formatting: exFAT
firmware: 2.3 (released on April 2 2021)

test 4 (ongoing)

SD formatting: exFAT
firmware: 2.3 (released on April 2 2021)
additional: I tried to fix the tags with easyTag

the problem I always have is that sync stops after few songs (sometimes few hundreds, sometimes thousands...).
If I reboot the dap it transfers part of the files and then it stops again. I can see some artists, play some songs, but they are not all there.

Could it be the number of files? Could it be the aac-->mp3 conversion?
Any help would be much appreciated.

NOTE 1: I read most of this thread, particularly the last 5-6 pages and ca. 10 pages around number 180. If I missed something feel free to direct my to the post that I missed
NOTE 2: I know that putting a bunch of low quality mp3s on such a dap is like cursing in Italy (i.e. almost forbidden by the law), but I do not have much of a choice here, I was asked to complete this task by my future mother in law :D

--
EDIT: the ongoing process has not given any good result. Still same problem.

never convert lossy to lossy. aac to mp3. alac to mp3 maybe but not aac to mp3

i have 15 786 music files on 512GB lexar micro sd card in ap80 pro, working good

image.png

check these tips

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...es-music-player.878141/page-221#post-15250661

copy all your files into mp3val free program and scan and repair all

http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/

also copy all your files into tagscanner, highlight all, then hit save, to help repair tags

https://www.xdlab.ru/en/

put latest firmware on ap80

reset ap80 settings

format the sd card in windows to exfat

copy files manualy in windows onto sd card

there is also this error checking

image.png

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #4,218 of 4,614
I am not sure I got your last post:
You organize your sd card (AP80 card = SD memory extension? The AP80 has like 16 GB...) as I do, I have a SD port on my computer and you use a usb card adapter...that shouldn't play any role in the ap80 not being able to read the sd card sub-folder system...or am I missing something?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I don't know what an SD memory extension is, and the AP80 has no native storage and all storage is on the SD card (which you stated earlier was 512 GB).

I use an SD card reader connected to my computer via the USB port, not connecting the AP80 via USB to my computer, when I copy large numbers of files. If your computer has an SD card slot, that is also likely to be more reliable than the AP80-USB connection. I haven't had any issues, but in the early days of the AP80 release, some folks did say they found it a little flaky to transfer files to the AP80 directly and recommended using "SD card in the computer" method instead.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #4,219 of 4,614
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I don't know what an SD memory extension is, and the AP80 has no native storage and all storage is on the SD card (which you stated earlier was 512 GB).

I use an SD card reader connected to my computer via the USB port, not connecting the AP80 via USB to my computer, when I copy large numbers of files. If your computer has an SD card slot, that is also likely to be more reliable than the AP80-USB connection. I haven't had any issues, but in the early days of the AP80 release, some folks did say they found it a little flaky to transfer files to the AP80 directly and recommended using "SD card in the computer" method instead.

i had a red 256gb patriot card that would cut out all the time when copying through the usb

i think a replacement did the same thing. so it was something with that card, i duno what

my 128gb adata and 512 lexar work fine either way

Apr 9, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #4,220 of 4,614
I am not sure I got your last post:
You organize your sd card (AP80 card = SD memory extension? The AP80 has like 16 GB...) as I do, I have a SD port on my computer and you use a usb card adapter...that shouldn't play any role in the ap80 not being able to read the sd card sub-folder system...or am I missing something?
Could be that your SD card/AP80 needs a root folder (“Music “) for you to put your files (“sub folders”) in. My naming convention over the years has been identical to @AndySocial (Music/Artist/Album/Song) and never a problem. It would be an easy test. Good luck.

Apr 9, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #4,221 of 4,614
Could be that your SD card/AP80 needs a root folder (“Music “) for you to put your files (“sub folders”) in. My naming convention over the years has been identical to @AndySocial (Music/Artist/Album/Song) and never a problem. It would be an easy test. Good luck.

i have no root 'music' folder

i have genre/sub-genre/artist/year album/song

i wont buy or use any player that doesnt have ability to view by folder

i would prefer that as soon as i powered on my ap80 it instantly showed the folder view

but instead if have to push like 5 buttons before i can get to it which is annoying

omnia android player can go right to folder view

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #4,222 of 4,614
i have no root 'music' folder

i have genre/sub-genre/artist/year album/song

i wont buy or use any player that doesnt have ability to view by folder

i would prefer that as soon as i powered on my ap80 it instantly showed the folder view

but instead if have to push like 5 buttons before i can get to it which is annoying

omnia android player can go right to folder view
What I meant was create a folder called “Music” and drop your files in just the way you have named them. Might be worth an easy try. Anyways, good luck whatever you do my friend.

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #4,223 of 4,614
What I meant was create a folder called “Music” and drop your files in just the way you have named them. Might be worth an easy try. Anyways, good luck whatever you do my friend.

im not the guy having the issue

that is why i said i dont have a root music folder

it was my way of saying u dont need one

because mine is working fine without it

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #4,226 of 4,614
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #4,227 of 4,614
it's nice to have only to bad that mqa sucks. Beware of that second link: it is not objective information. It is pure marketing lies, ie very, very subjective. A partial story with a venomous twist that most people are unaware of.

Usually you have to pay a big license fee to be able to use it (same as the price of the AP80). You know how drugsdealers operate: first sample is always free! It can keep filesize down which is a good thing, especially for portables, but it is a lossy format. And the venom is in cornering the market. The soundquality is ok just as long as you realise that is mostly marketing. But hey, this is free, so just try it for yourself (but beware that you don't end up with an expensive subscription under false pretenses).

I wonder how much battery the origami calculation will consume.

just to show its not my opinion. Why I dare to say that mqa sucks. It's mainly the businesses practices that deserve a warning. Once they completely monopolize the 'high res' market you'll find that there's no more free alternative.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,228 of 4,614
I also have a lot of problems with sd-cards. They are simply too cheap and to complex. Speed varies a lot too. It's best to use a card reader to fill them from a backup.

What I also noticed is that my balanced 2.5mm socket is already malfunctioning. I barely used it. I took it to work maybe twice. Very fragile. It's not a big problem because I mainly use it as a music server. But still...

I bought a very flexible usb-c cable for my E1DA 9038s so I have an alternative if I want you use HP.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #4,229 of 4,614
Once they completely monopolize the 'high res' market you'll find that there's no more free alternative.

if it costs money then it could flop. mp3 and flac are the most popular for a reason, because they are free.

if it causes the paying customers more money and hassle it will just increase piracy. people will go back to pirating flacs

there is already a program out there that can pirate download flac off deezer. 73 million songs. and these flacs are then being posted on torrent sites. so deezer streaming is a root source of massive online piracy.

and focusing so much on high res while ignoring mastering is just ignorant they should be improving the mastering and stop brickwalling everything so much

i rather have a 16 44 that is not brickwalled then a 32 384 that is brickwalled. i would be more willing to pay for music if i could get better mastering. its just like video games going up in resolution when they should be going up in frame rate. ignorant people selling products to other ignorant people

decreasing the size is not that important anymore anyway. with 20 terabyte hard drives and 1 terabyte micro sd card available. i rather have a big flac then a smaller file that is of less quality.

https://postimg.cc/4ncpTSkF CAD prices

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #4,230 of 4,614
I also have a lot of problems with sd-cards. They are simply too cheap and to complex. Speed varies a lot too. It's best to use a card reader to fill them from a backup.

What I also noticed is that my balanced 2.5mm socket is already malfunctioning. I barely used it. I took it to work maybe twice. Very fragile. It's not a big problem because I mainly use it as a music server. But still...

I bought a very flexible usb-c cable for my E1DA 9038s so I have an alternative if I want you use HP.

ive been using a 512GB lexar micro sd card for awhile without a problem

https://www.amazon.ca/Lexar®-High-Performance-512MB-microSDHCTM-MicroSDXCTM/dp/B07KBQQ82D/

it has the highest speed rating, and goes on sale all the time like it is now for 78$ only CAD

has the same speed numbers written on it as this extreme one

https://postimg.cc/4ncpTSkF CAD prices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back